Electing VA pay over Retired Pay?

Brokin1104

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I just finished with my IDES process with a DOS of 02 Mar 2020. Do I need to elect VA pay over DOD retired pay? Or is it done automatically? I’m less than 20 years.

I just finished with my IDES process with a DOS of 02 Mar 2020. Do I need to elect VA pay over DOD retired pay? Or is it done automatically? I’m less than 20 years.
When you filed your claim for VA compensation, there was a section of the form that addressed that issue. Look at your copy of the application. It should show you agree to accept VA compensation in lieu of retired pay. Possibly block 26...I don't have the form in front of me.

Ron

Brokin1104,

Here is a 2018 version of the VA Compensation application form:

LINK to 2018 version of VA Comp Application Form <----

--See Section VI:

IMPORTANT INFORMATION ON MILITARY RETIRED PAY (Includes all Uniformed Services Retired Pay): Submission of this application constitutes a waiver of military retired pay in an amount equal to VA compensation awarded, if you are entitled to both benefits. Your retired pay may be reduced by the amount of VA compensation awarded. Receipt of the full amount of military retired pay and VA compensation at the same time may result in an overpayment, which maybe subject to collection. If you qualify for concurrent receipt of VA
compensation and military retired pay, the waiver of retired pay will not apply.

If you do not want to waive any retired pay to receive VA compensation, you should check the box in Item 26. Note that if you check the box in Item 26, you will not receive VA compensation, if granted. If you are currently in receipt of VA compensation and you check the box in Item 26, your VA compensation will be terminated, if you are also eligible for military retired pay.

IMPORTANT: VA COMPENSATION PAY is NON-TAXABLE. THEREFORE, VA COMPENSATION PAY MAY BE THE GREATER BENEFIT.

[box] 26. Do NOT pay me VA compensation. I do NOT want to receive VA compensation in lieu of retired pay. [Recommend NOT checking this box. RonG]

Ron