Enrolling in Tricare Prime, disenrolling Tricare Reserve Select

landmine

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Anybody have experience with this? Tricare told me I need to change my status in DEERS before enrolling into Prime. Official retirement date will be April 10, 2018. I was told to get new ID cards and enroll in Tricare Prime before April 10.

Is it possible to do that since my status/orders don't reflect I am officially retired yet? I just want to avoid any lapse with healthcare. I have a son going thru some things, first surgery is April 4, 2018, then at least one more after that once 2-3 weeks of healing and monitoring is complete. By then I will be off of Tricare Reserve Select and need to be enrolled in Tricare Prime. Will this be a smooth transition? Or am I looking at a few weeks for things to change from disenrollment in TRS to enrollment to Tricare Prime with no coverage?

This seems like a simple transition but for some reason I am finding this to be the most difficult part since receiving my orders.

Thanks for any input and advice anyone can provide. Just stressed with the bad timing of my sons surgery and the health insurance switch once I retire (officially).

Not to distract from your situation, how long did it take for the orders to be generated and sent?

Not to distract from your situation, how long did it take for the orders to be generated and sent?
Not a distraction. My orders took 58 days to be sent from the time I signed and returned my DA199.

Might retirement date was on March 1st. Got my new ID on March 2nd. Called Tricare and changed plans same day. You will have to pay up front for prime. The transition was smooth for me.
If you have not already done so. Make your appointment with Retirement services.

Thanks Sullysull48. I did my thing with retirement services last week. Going to get ne ID cards next week. I'll wait to change Tricare plans the day after my retirement date. Seems like that will be the easiest way. Did they need a copy of your retirement orders when you changed plans? Also, did you need to make any changes with DEERS?

Easily the best information I have received during this process. Thanks again brother! It's amazing how no one can provide such a simple answer. Tricare pointed the finger at DEERS, DEERS pointed it back. 3 calls later I still had nothing close to the information you just gave me. Now that this is pretty much squared away, I can focus on my packet for CRSC.