ERB

JPLUNKER

Registered Member
I was on LIMDU awaiting treatment stabilization prior to being placed on MEB status. While waiting, the Navy selected me to be separated by September 1 2012 under that ERB program... Does anyone know if there are ways for me to be extended passed Sep 1st? That is if the new system doesn’t work fast enough. As it stands now ERB takes precedence over everything, but as far as anyone in my chain knows I am the first case in this boat. Please Help:confused:

When is/was your MEB referral date? Has it been initiated (that is, has your doctor referred you to MEB) yet? Depending on the number of claims you make when your case is sent from Navy MEB to VA/IDES, it can take from 1-2 months up to 1 year or more for your package to get from your doctor's initial referral(MEB) to the IPEB.

I believe that because of ERB you will be seperated regardless of the findings of the PEB. In that case I would try to get as high a disability rating as possible from the VA. I am not sure if you can extend your enlistment in order for the PEB/MEB process to finish, that would be a good question for your MEB case manager.

In my own experience, if you want to get the process done quickly you have to stay on everyone involved. If you doctor tells you they will refer you to MEB, request that you hand walk the paperwork yourself from your doctor to MEB office. Ensure that you get a MEB case manager as soon as possible. I didn't do this and my referral paperwork sat in my doctors outbox for over around 3 weeks (This was at Balboa hospital). Once you get a case manager and speak with the VA rep at the hospital it should be smooth sailing from there on out (hopefully).

I had one medical condition on my referral and it took about 4 months from initial MEB referral to
PEB findings.

Thanks for the link alibs, its exactlly what i was looking for. I had seen it once but then couldn't find it again. More details about my case so others in my place can understand. I was placed on LIMDU on Sept 28, 2011 for the first 6 months. In Nov the ERB results came out, Medical hadnt started the actual MEB process yet because of medications and treatments had to be stabilized, They finally put me in for my MEB in early Dec. My package was sent out to Corpus yesterday. So I still have time but with a family to take care of its kind of scary to here that if its not done my Sept 1 then to bad....who says that. But in the Decision Memorandum that alibs posted it says contact PERS-832 for "extension to accommodate PEB proceeding"

Thanks again for the help, im less freaked out now! I'll post what i find out from PERS.

How many years of active duty do you have? Are your eligible for a TERA retirement? If so, a TERA retirement could very likely be the better option as TERA retirees can collect CRDP. You need to throughly examine all options.
Mike

I've only been in 10 years, So i dont qualify for TERA because you need 15. But my PEBLO said that medical retirement is a good possibility still. I want a med ret for the benifits mostly. CRDP would be nice but they are screwing me hard enough by cutting my 6 year enlistment by five years with the ERB cuts. Do you (maparker) or anyone know if you get med ret do you still get serverance up front? Still trying to figure all this stuff out.

I've only been in 10 years,anyone know if you get med ret do you still get serverance up front? Still trying to figure all this stuff out.

Just by the info you posted, lets say you CAN get $1000 in sevrance and CAN get $100 a month from VA. If you take severance you will not get the $100 from VA till that $1000 is pay off (10 months ) then you will start getting that $100 a month. Or dont take the serv. and start getting $100 a month.

Above number are just to make my math easy.

Hope this helps

So i've heard that you get severance pay taxed. Is that true? I thought medical severances were tax free. And as far as paying the VA back I thought it was only if your got out and filled a claim, not seperated by PEB...either way the higher the rating the faster you pay it back and get montly payments :)