Extension of RC Soldiers on Active Duty to Complete DES

warrantarng

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I fell this is important for all RC soldiers.

Attachments

• 2016 March DES Signed Memo.pdf
    949.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 2016 March DES Signed Memo.pdf
    949.9 KB · Views: 19

2013GO

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
This is great…. for those reservist who continue to appeal their GI bill % (Chap 61 should receive 100% Chap 33, but the VA/DOD continue to deny stating they were not discharged because of a service connected disability), this is another document validating the fact that a directive such as this was NEEDED. Years ago, reservists/NG were rushed off of active duty/demobed with little or no medical eval; were told go to the VA when you get home. Unfortunately 1, 2, even 4 or more years later the medical issues start appearing and the veterans find themselves in a never ending black hole of confusion!! They were not assigned to WTU, units were/ignorant in regards to this process/as well as "working" on their MEB one weekend a month dragged the process out 2-4 years or more! Their DD214 states they were discharged because their duty was complete….not because of a service connected injury. The saving grace for some has been that they DID go to the VA went they got home and received a service connected validated the date after they were discharged from active duty. Which to those with common sense means they were discharged from active duty with/because of a service connect disability. Unfortunately this may continue for years, depending on how long the veteran takes to decide to use the benefit. What is it now? you must use it within 15 years after you have separated. A veteran waits till that 14th year to initiate use, only to find out that although they are Chap 61, they are not in fact granted 100%….only 60%. The battle begins which could last MORE years and the veteran (or dependent it has been transferred to) ends up not going to college because they can't afford that extra 40% they must pay while waiting for the appeal results. Yet another way AR and NG are NOT treated the same as Active duty….

warrantarng

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I agree with you RC service members are not treated the same. I am going through the IDES/MEB process. I am AGR T10, ARNG stationed in Virginia. I have been told that my state will need to initiate the Army MEDCOM orders because my AGR initial tour orders end September this year. I do not have confidence that my state will initiate / coordinate this transition of orders.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">