Factor V Leiden/DVT History-at IRILO Stage

VRotcaf

Registered Member
All,
I was recently notified that I'll be going through an I-RILO due to an idopathic deep vein thrombosis in my left leg that occurred almost 5 years ago. Since I was in an AFIT/Civilian Institution program at the time, I was being treated by civilian doctors and the Air Force never followed up upon my reassignment to an active duty base (Los Angeles AFB). Also, I am Factor V Leiden heterozygous. My AFSC is 62E so there is no real reason that I cannot do my job with this condition.

Is there any reason to think that I could be separated from the Air Force after over 15 years of service with a line number to Lt Col? I've also heard that any history of blood clots leads requires a mandatory full MEB regardless of the I-RILO recommendation to AFPC. Can anyone confirm? My family is just very edgy right now as this came up out of nowhere a few months ago and now we are worried that I may be forced out 5 years early without a retirement.

Any information from any of your experiences will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
J

Ccurran

Registered Member
I am curious how this turned out. My husband was just diagnosed with Factor V Leiden after suffering a PE during a hospitalization for pnuemonia (he was immobile) they did testing and found out he has Factor V Leiden, he had hoped to finish his career and retire and now everything is up in the air.

Padgettra

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
All,
I was recently notified that I'll be going through an I-RILO due to an idopathic deep vein thrombosis in my left leg that occurred almost 5 years ago. Since I was in an AFIT/Civilian Institution program at the time, I was being treated by civilian doctors and the Air Force never followed up upon my reassignment to an active duty base (Los Angeles AFB). Also, I am Factor V Leiden heterozygous. My AFSC is 62E so there is no real reason that I cannot do my job with this condition.

Is there any reason to think that I could be separated from the Air Force after over 15 years of service with a line number to Lt Col? I've also heard that any history of blood clots leads requires a mandatory full MEB regardless of the I-RILO recommendation to AFPC. Can anyone confirm? My family is just very edgy right now as this came up out of nowhere a few months ago and now we are worried that I may be forced out 5 years early without a retirement.

Any information from any of your experiences will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
J
VRotcaf, Congrats on surviving DVTs and not having PE. I cannot comment on the Factor V Leiden heterozygous condition for my episodes were event driven. Just a couple of thoughts. You may be able to complete your current work requirements, yet The bib AF is concerned about mobility and deployment actions. in my opinion. My understanding is if you have a line number for promotion and get MED boarded out, then you may still get promoted during the process and your medical retirement pay could be based on your highest rank. Best of luck and press for everything you can through the medical process for it is a one time shot which sets your pay for life. Ron P

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">