FAI and Arthritus

ccmcneil15

Registered Member
So I am new in this PEB/MEB process, and it hasn't officially started yet. I have been diagnosed with FAI (Cam type) of both hips as well as arthritis in both hips and DDD, I am currently seeing a sports med doc as the last resort my PCM had. I have been in the USMC for 11 years now and have been dealing with this pain for about 9 of them only to be recently diagnosed. I am worried because the sports med doc doesnt think I will rate a PEB because I am not a candidate for surgery even though I have very limited ROM in my left hip and massive amounts of pain which prohibit me from doing PFT/CFT etc.. Does anyone have any experience going through a PEB with this kind of situation?

I originally found out I had a torn labrum and ligamentum teres tear in 2015. Been dealing with the hip pain for probably 10 years prior and I could no longer keep sucking it up. After the surgery it had gotten much better and only had a very slight pinch when I brought my knee to my chest. Then the arthritis set in and was the main reason for being referred into IDES. Now it's so bad my only option is to get a new hip.

If you can't do the PFT I would expect to be referred. Being a candidate for surgery doesn't have anything to do with a referral.

ok makes sense I think their intention is to refer me just that based of the not being a candidate for surgery she thinks I will be denied PEB but all in all we will see I guess. Thanks for your input.