Fibro symptoms related profiles

SeaweedBits

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I'm in the Air Force and was diagnosed with fibromyalgia last month. I have been having intense skin sensitivty where it feels like my uniform is slicing into my skin, and the exhaustion really sets in about halfway through the day. I'm just wondering what different profiles people were/are on for fibromyalgia symptoms. I've seen half day profiles, but I doubt my Commander would allowed that, but maybe being allowed to wear a different uniform? Has anyone had a special profile to make working easier?

Can't you take your top blouse off in your duty section? Maybe rolling up your sleeves would help a little.

I was on a profile where I could only exercise with my physical therapists supervision. My first profile said no run, no push ups, no sit-ups due to my spinal damage. My unit started finding "creative" work outs for me that did not include the three exercises, but were still painful for me. So my physical therapist change it to that to keep my unit PTLs from harrassing me. I used to be a unit PTL monitor and used to be able to run 8 miles before my illness. New unit, new mindset, new harrassment.

So I was tape only for PT tests. I was also put down for the walk test. However, I have severe tachycardia, due to my pain. My cardiologist told me to have them check it before testing. It was over 150- so I was ineligable to walk test per regs, due to possibility of a heart attack. My commander tried to write me up, claiming I refused to test. The civilian PT testers had to calmher down by explaining everything to her.

I was moved to a less stressful and less physical position in another duty section. I basically became a receptionist.

Depending on your job, whould depend on your uniform. PT gear is a uniform ;)

Even the feeling of the material barely brushing my skin makes my nerves go haywire, PT gear may help. I'll have to ask my PCM about that. I do have a desk job, for the most part, but my Commander already thinks I'm faking, so unless I get PCM approval I know he won't go for it. Thanks for the input! :)

Even the feeling of the material barely brushing my skin makes my nerves go haywire, PT gear may help. I'll have to ask my PCM about that. I do have a desk job, for the most part, but my Commander already thinks I'm faking, so unless I get PCM approval I know he won't go for it. Thanks for the input! :)

Do you have upper and lower problems?

Desk job must help. My Commander was the same way. Just ignore them. They can not "get" you. Even if they think you are faking it. All that matters it what your doctor thinks. Don't try to worry. YOu shouldn't have to "prove" your illness to anyone. We believe you :)

They are just talking to talk and jealous you may retire early, and others are getting downsized out without it.

Go naked or go home!

For real though. For my Fibro I've found that wearing tighter clothes actually feels better. I used to wear regular or loose fitting clothes. I hated tight clothing. But now, I can only stand to wear clothes that are tight and soft. Think Under Armour compression. So, I will wear compression under normal clothes if needed to prevent that horrid feeling of the loose feeling clothes. For me it might have something to do with my POTS symptoms as well though. Just my experience. Not sure if it will help you or not.

I'm in the Air Force and was diagnosed with fibromyalgia last month. I have been having intense skin sensitivty where it feels like my uniform is slicing into my skin, and the exhaustion really sets in about halfway through the day. I'm just wondering what different profiles people were/are on for fibromyalgia symptoms. I've seen half day profiles, but I doubt my Commander would allowed that, but maybe being allowed to wear a different uniform? Has anyone had a special profile to make working easier?
I was dx with Fibro and Ehlers Danlos Syndrome last year. I have been on half days since 2012 but got a call yesterday that my pcm was changing my hours back to 8hrs bc he couldn't find a reason why it couldn't be. Long story is that I have been going through the MEB process since 2012. My pcm sent me to another base to see AF docs bc he didn't like what my off base docs were saying. You should be able to wear PT Gear. I have skin issues, chronic fatigue, irregular heart beat, dizzy, blackout, chest pain along with the normal chronic joint pain, and I sublux a lot of joints at any given time.

I was diagnosed with fibro in Oct 2013 after an MEB was already started for other issues. My PCM recomended 4 hrs duty days but it was turned down by my CC (Who is a Physician) because he didn't think it was correct. My CC also flat out lied to my supervisor when he told her he was denying the 4hrs duty recomendation, he said, " she only has migraines"

I hate how I feel like I have to explain myself and my medical disabilities to everyone, why does the AF give PCM's the authority to write profiles and recomendations if they are not going to be trusted with that power? Worse is that my provider and I share a Commander because we are in the same unit... feels like conflict of interest to me.

I agree with the under armour suggestion, tight soft/smooth clothing doesnt bother me as much... but at the end of the day when the "uncomfortables" set in nothing feels good.

Go naked or go home!

For real though. For my Fibro I've found that wearing tighter clothes actually feels better. I used to wear regular or loose fitting clothes. I hated tight clothing. But now, I can only stand to wear clothes that are tight and soft. Think Under Armour compression. So, I will wear compression under normal clothes if needed to prevent that horrid feeling of the loose feeling clothes. For me it might have something to do with my POTS symptoms as well though. Just my experience. Not sure if it will help you or not.
That's what I've found works for me too. I wear long spandex and tank tops under my uniform, and when i'm home i'm mostly not wearing much if anything, it's just much more comfortable for me.

I was diagnosed with fibro in Oct 2013 after an MEB was already started for other issues. My PCM recomended 4 hrs duty days but it was turned down by my CC (Who is a Physician) because he didn't think it was correct. My CC also flat out lied to my supervisor when he told her he was denying the 4hrs duty recomendation, he said, " she only has migraines"
I hate how I feel like I have to explain myself and my medical disabilities to everyone, why does the AF give PCM's the authority to write profiles and recomendations if they are not going to be trusted with that power? Worse is that my provider and I share a Commander because we are in the same unit... feels like conflict of interest to me.
I agree with the under armour suggestion, tight soft/smooth clothing doesnt bother me as much... but at the end of the day when the "uncomfortables" set in nothing feels good.

I am forever explaining and re-explaining to my leadership what hurts and how it hurts and what i'm not able to do and all that. they ask over and over trying to catch me in a lie or they are just VERY forgetful. I'm going to request 4hr days from my rheumatologist because after 8hrs I'm too exhausted to take care of things at home, so maybe my PCM will listen to that reccomendation, and if not he may at least lower it to 6hr. It's just me at home, so I am resposible for all errands and everything, I definitely need energy for that, and to not be 'rewarded" with a massive flare-up because I went grocery shopping after work.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Just a suggestion If you hadn't had a sleep study done I would recommend getting one. I know everyone is different & is probably got other things going on.

However, if I didn't stop complaining I would've not found more. I've been complaining since late dec 10 then diagnosed with fibro August 12. Meds helped some but I was still very exhausted each day & not right. Finally, Sleep study in Feb 13 diagnosed with idiopathic hypersonia. Still don't have a good treatment but I'm not giving up.

I'm also supervised by medical & it gets very frustrating. Good luck with everything & hang in there.

I have Fibro, and I want to tell you that you are not alone. MY uniform and any clothes send me through the roof. When I am home, I am in my soft bathrobe as often as possible. --- I wear only PTs (but I am in the WTU), and I do have a late profile. I would die of exhaustion if I had to actually work a full 8 hours. I would fall asleep driving. I normally can only stay awake for 2-3 hours at a time before I need another nap. PLUS, the pain at night is so bad I can't sleep very well.

Clothes literally feel like they are cutting my skin. Plus, it feels like I am ON FIRE many days.

I am so sorry you are suffering with this terrible condition also. It terribly sucks so bad and there is no cure. -- Ask your PCM for a late report profile, and if that doesn't work, keep going up and up until you get relief. You are the only one who can save YOU. Remember, this is one disorder that when you push yourself, it will only get worse, and the military will NOT take responsibility for making you worse. Do what you need to do for YOU.

ALSO, Ask for a RA appt. PCMs are not always schooled on FIBRO, but RA Drs are. I was finally referred to a RA DR, and that made all the difference in how people viewed me and how I was feeling.

No one has

I too get the skin sensitivity with fibro; I deblouse to help and no one has told me I couldn't (but I stay in my office). I'm on a profile limiting me to NMT 6hr duty days, no on call shifts, and NMT 4 patients daily.