Fibromyalgia Vs. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS)?

Former MiTT Team Leader

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I am both a Gulf War 1 and OIF veteran. I have been having severe problems with fatigue, memory/concentration, gastrointestinal issue and unexplained muscle/joint pain- in particular after mild physical exertion and during cold weather. I have brought this issue to my VA primary care doctor and all he wants to do is send me to CBT.

IAW the local VA OEF/OIF representative numerous veterans are complaining of the same symptoms I am having and currently there is no explanation althought they are looking into burn pit registery to see if there is a link.

I have done some research on internet and think I either suffer from Fibromyalgia or CFS.

Who is the right specialty doctor to see to tease this all out? Do I need to see a Rehumatologist (sp) or someone else?

Any input would be appreciated as know there has been a lot of discussion on this topic.

OTE="Former MiTT Team Leader, post: 138617, member: 41858"]I am both a Gulf War 1 and OIF veteran. I have been having severe problems with fatigue, memory/concentration, gastrointestinal issue and unexplained muscle/joint pain- in particular after mild physical exertion and during cold weather. I have brought this issue to my VA primary care doctor and all he wants to do is send me to CBT.

IAW the local VA OEF/OIF representative numerous veterans are complaining of the same symptoms I am having and currently there is no explanation althought they are looking into burn pit registery to see if there is a link.

I have done some research on internet and think I either suffer from Fibromyalgia or CFS.

Who is the right specialty doctor to see to tease this all out? Do I need to see a Rehumatologist (sp) or someone else?

Any input would be appreciated as know there has been a lot of discussion on this topic.[/QUOTE]
A Rheumatologist is best..Lots of Gulf 1 vets have Fibro. What year were you there?

Fibro and CFS are both diagnoses of last resort, they can't be tested directly. Usual course will be PCM for blood tests, pulmonary and BH for sleep/concentration, imaging for joints then rheumy for auto immune. Nobody can come up with an answer, then they usually say fibro or CFS or IBS or some combination thereof.

Thanks ScoutCC- have had blood work and X-Ray's all negative. I am trying to get my VA primary care provider to schedule me with pulmo and rehumo, howver he really does not like issuing consults.

I am in the same boat, I always thought it was just "normal," to have all the pains I did randomly. I have all the symptoms except having tender skin. I have been complaining every appointment for the past year, they just keep marking it as chronic pain, plus GI issues and no useful sleep. Have done nothing to figure these things out. I am going to try to approach the Army to have my work up done through them since apparently the VA thinks I am making this up to get more money, even though I am pending a 100% T/D U/I.

If you have not already, sign up for the burn pit regristry with the VA. It is completely absurd they say there is no link of physical harm to burn pits, when looking at the EPA website shows this:

Human Health
Burning trash in the open produces many pollutants, including:

• dioxins,
  • particle pollution,
  • polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons,
  • volatile organic compounds,
  • carbon monoxide,
  • hexachlorobenzene, and
  • ash.
Many dangerous health conditions can be caused by inhaling or ingesting even small amounts of these pollutants. Small children, the elderly, or people with preexisting respiratory conditions can be especially vulnerable to some of these pollutants.

http://www.epa.gov/osw/nonhaz/municipal/backyard/health.htm

Yeah, I have done the Burn Pit Registry. All I am doing lately is popping Tylenol like candy. I cannot get into a work-out routine because if I exercise, even lightly, I am in severe pain for 2-3 days.

Guess if my VA primary care doc does not give me consults I asked for will see civilian docs on my own dime- which I have had to do anyway for alot of things even my service connected conditions.

Thanks and wish you well.

There is a lawsuit going against KBR and DoD for the burn pits, which were operated outside of DoD's regulations. They knew they were hazardous, but ran them anyways. A judge just opened up the ability of KBR to be sued by service members in the claim. Might be something you look into. I am going to be signing up myself once I get some more evidence set up.

http://www.gelmans.com/ReadingRoom/...-Chemical-Exposure-Cancer-Disease-Claims.aspx

Funny thing, I was in BAF 2010-2011 and just happened to see a copy of the "Air Pollution Test results" sitting on my warrants desk that they supposedly never got. Needless to say I took it and made a copy for my medical records and it clearly says that those fumes (in addition to the carbon monoxide from our diesel fork lifts) could be hazardous (duuh)