Final Ratings

MJ6495

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
After 22 months my MEB is finally and I am officially medically retired (60% DOD, 90% VA were my ratings at the end of my FPEB). I was wondering if anyone could tell me when I should expect my final ratings from the VA. I received a letter in the mail today that stated it will be 4-5 months, but since I went through the board and have my prelim ratings, does it really still take that long? I am hoping this is just a standard letter and not a true estimate.

Should be not long 1-2 months after you’re out.

congrats on the final MEB and enjoy retirement to the fullest! Thanks for your service.

just an update, received my final ratings yesterday, and my VA rating actually went up to 100%. So, now I am 60% DOD and 100% VA. I chose my retirement pay at time of signing my documents, as it was higher than the projected 90% VA rating amount (I only had 18 years, 4 month AD time, so I don't get CRDP). But now I don't get the tax free benefit of only receiving the higher VA pay, does anyone know if I can change my choice to VA disability pay since my rating was higher than projected at the end of my FPEB?

Hmmm. I was also wondering when pay election would be? I received final ratings and accepted them but wasn’t given anything to sign regarding my pay election. I will have CRDP but my VA is more than my retirement pay.

Should be not long 1-2 months after you’re out.

Tony292, Hi. Did you have to be on the promotion list to get promoted at retirement? I'm curious on myself. I'm almost done with my IDES and didn't know if I had to be on a promotion list to get promoted or it was something done upon completion of the board.

You have to be on the promotion list at the time you entered the IDES process. My total case took almost 2 years to complete, but because I was on the list at the start of the process I was promoted before my retirement date.

gotcha. Much appreciated. Thanks for the info. I'm right at 2 years myself this month. Crazy slow process.

Tony292, Hi. Did you have to be on the promotion list to get promoted at retirement? I'm curious on myself. I'm almost done with my IDES and didn't know if I had to be on a promotion list to get promoted or it was something done upon completion of the board.
You’ll need to prove you are promotable. My name was on the promotion list that came out about 3 weeks prior to my terminal leave date. I printed the list highlighted my name and emailed it to the retirement services person that was handling my retirement.

You’ll need to prove you are promotable. My name was on the promotion list that came out about 3 weeks prior to my terminal leave date. I printed the list highlighted my name and emailed it to the retirement services person that was handling my retirement.

Thanks Tony292.