Fit or Unfit?

bini

Registered Member
I finished my MEB on 22 of April, I still have not received my fit or unfit memo. I am in ft campbell going through MEB for Autonomic Dysfunction. Time in service is only 16 months. Any thought?

jp166901

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I am at Campbell as well, depending on who your PEBLO is depends on when you get it. But I will say that it takes a while even though you may see in the timeline you are through that step doesn't mean they have gotten all the signatures for it. It needs 3 total but once it gets 2 you packet goes on to the next step.

Chandalen

Registered Member
Due to Soldiers gaming the system, you are no longer required to sign a Fit/Unfit memo. If you pay attention to your MEB/PEB in AKO MEDPROS, you will see when it is issued. You will likely have to ask your PEBLO if they have it.

At Drum, they let me see it on the computer, but did not offer me a print out.

Also this memo is not an absolute, it is a likely recommendation. Even if it is UNFIT the PEB can rule FIT, and vice versa. You will find this out when the 199 arrives.

EustisSgt210

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
how is it a recommendation????The PEB is the one who issues the unfit/fit status. they are the ones who determine if you are unfit/fit not the VA. When the PEB gets the ratings back its just to determine if you are retired (permanently or temporarily) separated with severance pay or without. So if you have an unfit memo considered yourself on the way out

EustisSgt210

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I finished my MEB on 22 of April, I still have not received my fit or unfit memo. I am in ft campbell going through MEB for Autonomic Dysfunction. Time in service is only 16 months. Any thought?
took me 3wks to get unfit after signing narsum. just keep asking your peblo

Kirkland87

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I signed my narsum 22 April and received my unfit memo 27 April. I'm still waiting on my ratings

bini

Registered Member
I signed my narsum 22 April and received my unfit memo 27 April. I'm still waiting on my ratings

I m waiting for rating too. Status: pending decision approval 5 may Preparing for decision, 16 May Gathering Evidence....

FatHawkDown

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Gaming the system?

How? Be joining the military and suffering an illness/injury in the line of duty?

Kirkland87

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Just checked ebenefits and I now have a historical claim closed on 16 May 2016 that says decision notification sent! Hopefully I hear back something soon from my peblo

dotlak

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I don't understand what chandalen means by "gaming the system" you are found unfit base on medical evidence available to PEB. You can only speak about your own health and you cannot speak for others. I hate it when people think going to sick call and seeking help concerning your health is gaming the system. I understand that people exaggerate their condition but, you have to do whatever you need to do atimes to get the care that you deserve period. I work the PAs and they have the impression that everyone is faking. Do whatever you need to do to get the best care that you deserve.

Chandalen

Registered Member
Clarification because some people read what they want and go from there...

What I said was:
"Due to Soldiers gaming the system, you are no longer required to sign a Fit/Unfit memo."

By "Gaming the system" I meant, If a [reserve] Soldier did NOT want to return to duty [his unit], or to delay the whole process for pay purposes (as in the process for Soldiers returning from overseas who are still getting all their Combat pays); The Soldier would just not sign the fit/unfit until they were forced to. OR the PEBLO overlooked the fit/unfit memo and it sat somewhere. The whole process stopped until the memo was signed. After several Congressional's, this part of the process was streamlined, and while it is still issued, its is not required for the Soldier to sign.

The fit/unfit is part of the INFORMAL PEB. Meaning it is a recommendation not a determination.

The official determination cones with the official ratings on the 199.

You could get an Unfit for duty memo, and the PEB finds you Fit for duty. Is it likely? No, but it can happen. The reverse is also possible.

Last edited:

Kirkland87

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
16 May 2016 my claim moved to historical claims. Today I just received my ratings 40% dod and 60% va

jp166901

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
16 May 2016 my claim moved to historical claims. Today I just received my ratings 40% dod and 60% va
Congrats hopefully its what you wanted.

I am still waiting on mine. Also something to add as far as the fit/unfit memo. I know here at Ft Campbell if you get an unfit memo they still have you sign it saying you saw it they give you a copy and it is an official document because you use that document to go ahead and go to CIF. I know because I have already done this and cleared CIF. Just wanted to add that for any confusion

Kirkland87

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Yea those were the numbers I was expecting and its PDRL. Here at fort riley once my unfit memo came back my Peblo emailed my commander and had him do a memo stating to clear without orders. I have CIF next tuesday

EustisSgt210

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
@che
Clarification because some people read what they want and go from there...

What I said was:
"Due to Soldiers gaming the system, you are no longer required to sign a Fit/Unfit memo."

By "Gaming the system" I meant, If a [reserve] Soldier did NOT want to return to duty [his unit], or to delay the whole process for pay purposes (as in the process for Soldiers returning from overseas who are still getting all their Combat pays); The Soldier would just not sign the fit/unfit until they were forced to. OR the PEBLO overlooked the fit/unfit memo and it sat somewhere. The whole process stopped until the memo was signed. After several Congressional's, this part of the process was streamlined, and while it is still issued, its is not required for the Soldier to sign.

The fit/unfit is part of the INFORMAL PEB. Meaning it is a recommendation not a determination.

The official determination cones with the official ratings on the 199.

You could get an Unfit for duty memo, and the PEB finds you Fit for duty. Is it likely? No, but it can happen. The reverse is also possible.
Smh the peb sends your med packet narsum to the VA to get a rating the peb doesn't rate you. So to say its not for active duty you are incorrect as it can be used to track your claim sent from the peb once that happens they send it back to the peb who then determines if you are medically retired temp or permanently or with or without severance pay. The mere fact that the peb sent your packet to VA means you are unfit they wouldn't waste time and miney just to change their minds on the back end when you get your 199 tge process is 99 percent over you are just awaiting orders

EustisSgt210

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
And to add to this the informal PEB is only informal because you sre nit required to be there if u dont accept the findings of the Informal PEB then u request a formal hearing to speak in person. The PEB is the one who issues the unfit/fit memo based off your narsum.

Chandalen

Registered Member
@che

Smh the peb sends your med packet narsum to the VA to get a rating the peb doesn't rate you. So to say its not for active duty you are incorrect as it can be used to track your claim sent from the peb once that happens they send it back to the peb who then determines if you are medically retired temp or permanently or with or without severance pay. The mere fact that the peb sent your packet to VA means you are unfit they wouldn't waste time and miney just to change their minds on the back end when you get your 199 tge process is 99 percent over you are just awaiting orders

You totally misunderstand my post. No further explanation is needed. My statement is accurate. Call MEB lawyers for clarification if you need it.

FatHawkDown

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
The reason Servicemembers are no longer required to sign the unfit memo submitted to DoVA is because of the IDES versus Legacy MEB/PEB system that came into effect circa 2010.

I don't have to call MEB lawyers for clarification because I completed this process you are entering into last year.

Get informed and pay attention to your decision points.
http://www.wtc.army.mil/img/soldier_to_ides.html

Jfrazier1115

Registered Member
Did you ever get your rating back for autonomic dysfunction? I have the same thing just wanted to know how much people usually get for that

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">