I went through the Non Duty related informal PEB for lower back/SI joint injury and the decision was not service connected and recommendation for discharge. I worked with the Office of Soldier Counsel (OSC) and put in an appeal due to a pending LOD for mental health issues. The appeal was denied and I was granted a formal PEB on December 19, 2019. I have already received a 50% rating from the VA for my lower bacl/SI joint injury as of two months ago, with the VA claim for mental health being deferred. The OSC told me that my VA rating wouldn't be affected if I go through with the formal PEB and potentially an MEB. However, I received a call this morning from my behavioral health officer (BHO). He told me that if I go through with the formal PEB and potentially an MEB that my VA ratings will be negatively affected. Is it better to just waive the formal PEB, not pursue an MEB, and just wait for my VA rating for the mental health issues? According to VA.gov I will get my decision for the mental health issues this week. My thought for the long term is that I have a chance at a medical retirement but from what the BHO said, if the Army awards me 50% for mental health then my VA rating is reduced by 50% and the Army rating is taxable whereas the VA rating is not, therefore, I would get less overall. I don't want to stay in the National Guard as my lower back/SI joint isn't getting any better and my mental health is deteriorating, but I want to make sure I am doing what is best for me and my family overall. If it means just going with the VA ratings that's fine, but I want to make sure I am making an informed decision.