Found Fit

d.page24

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Navy PEB found me fit for continued naval service on March 28th. My NARSUM described my injury as "low back pain" and the JDETS findings categorized my injury as such. Even though my MRI results stated "Bi-lateral L5 Spondylolisis and clear left L5 Pars and anticularis defects." I requested they reconsider based on the MRI results on April 12th.

Anyone have similar issues?

The USN PEB leans heavily toward fit findings.

It's not the diagnosis itself they are scrutinizing, it is your ability to continue to serve in light of this condition.

That's exceptionally disappointing considering the chronic pain I deal with.

Did your commander recommend fit or unfit? Do you have any evidence of the toll this has taken on you? Pain management records, etc. The diagnosis alone usually will not suffice (with the exception of a handful of physical conditions), the key is to gather as much evidence as possible to prove the pain and physical toll is unhealthy for you and prevents further service.

Do you have any evidence of the toll this has taken on you?

The NARSUM documents the loss of feeling in my left foot which has stemmed from the injury.

The NMA documents I can do a desk job effectively but I would not succeed out to sea. He made me not look like a turd.

Why a Commander's NMA is a part of the process at all is beyond me.

Not only is a commander obviously not giving a medical assessment, he/she has very-little-to-ZERO face time with the individual for whom he/she is even writing the report for.

I simply don't see the statement making any kind of favorable impact UNLESS the service member is allowed to sit and meet with the commander to discuss and more accurately put forth the assessment, but apparently that's a big no-no. It's just another step that puts the SM at a disadvantage.