FPEB PREP

Edg

Registered Member
I have decided to request a FPEB, I was diagnosed with Crohn's then put on TDRL. After my first evaluation I received notification that I am now going to be discharged with 10%. My condition is unstable and I sent a rebuttal with further medical paperwork and they stood with there decision. I now have my date to appear and don’t know what else I can bring to the board. Just looking for advice on preparing things I need to be ready for. I am wanting to be kept at 30% or kept on TDRL until a solution for remission is found.

oddpedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Have you spoken to counsel? Have you any VA C&P evaluations for the same condition? Whats your VA rating for Crohn's?

Edg

Registered Member
I am currently in talks with my counsel just got my POC yesterday. My VA rating is 30% for Crohns and I have not had any C&P evaluations

heathro1281

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I don't have much help to add on the "how" to go about this. But after doing my appeals, focus on personal letters from your doctors either adding new information that may not have been considered or letters reinforcing why you are appealing that your doctors agree with your position. the FPEB needs to be persuaded by professional opinions. Your personal opinion doesn't carry much weight with the FPEB - they want to make their decision based of facts from providers and professionals.

I never appealed to the FPEB on incorrect ratings, I appealed they were incorrect instating I should be found unfit. My letters included signed memos from my Squadron and Wing commanders on how I won SNCO of the Quarter while supposedly "unfit". A letter from a Brigadier General on the board for Air Operations Intelligence (I worked under him when he was our wing commander) on my work ethic. I had letters from doctors stating that my conditions didn't cause any unsafe working hazards to myself or co-workers nor was I unable to do the duties of a SNCOIC. I still was denied and the unfit finding stayed.

Not to discourage you after my denial, but I offer these words as an example of the level of communication you should be bringing to the FPEB. If you have any personal contacts in offices high up, I would be begging for a favor right now. At least have letters from every commander and/or Chief and First Sargent in your chain of command on base you can and any doctor that will write a favorable letter to you.

JoePlasm

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Part of the issue with Crohn's is the VASRD itself. GI section hasn't been updated yet and the current policy says its to be rated in accordance with Ulcerative Colitis (because they are both IBD). The problem lies in the diagnostic and objective criteria for 60% and 100% in Ulcerative colitis are things that don't happen in Crohn's disease (liver abscesses for example). This makes it very difficult for Crohn's to get rated anything above 30%.

The additional kicker is that the GI section does not recognize biologics or immunosuppression as GI treatments, so you don't get the % increase for those medications like you do for Rheumatoid or Skin disorders.

If the outcome is still poor in your case, you should subscribe to the Federal Register for VASRD updates. When the new GI update comes out, read it to see if Biologic/immunosuppression, and Crohn's have been updated. If so you might have an easy case for re-examination.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">