Genetic Disorder (Blood Clots)

PAAirman89

Registered Member
Hey everyone I’m new to the forum and wanted to see if anyone could help me out. I am in the Air Force and about a a year ago I broke my foot at PT and a few weeks later I ended up with a DVT in my calf. I was referred to a hematologist and found after blood tests that I had the prothrombin gene mutation or Factor 2. I was on blood thinners for 6 months and because I was cleared to stop taking them, my PCM said I would not have to go through a MEB. I since have PCS’d and have an appointment to see if this was the right way to handle this or not. My hematologist wasn’t sure if he felt comfortable with me deploying with this condition so that concerned me that my last PCM just cleared me. I wanted to see if anyone here had any experience with blood clots or clotting conditions that could give some advice. Thank you.

Your condition Existed Prior to Service. If you were MEB'd you would likely get nothing, unless you have 8 YOS or more.

Not likely to be hereditary as there are only 26 documented hereditary cases in the world of Factor II Deficiency.

Since you have an in service diagnosis and a current disability, the only other thing that is of concern is if it is compensable based upon the current residuals.

Both of your parents would have had to have the hereditary condition to pass it to you, there are many causes for acquired Factor II gene mutation.