Getting Surgery during an Army MEB

tvan2

Registered Member
I have recently been diagnosed with AVN of the hip and am currently in the process of being MED boarded due to it. My question is simply this "should I try to get a surgery during the MEB process or wait it out for the results?" I am in constant pain but am not sure what a surgery will do to my chances of being medically retired at 30%, if I can even get that high.

Jimmyjamm

Registered Member
I have recently been diagnosed with AVN of the hip and am currently in the process of being MED boarded due to it. My question is simply this "should I try to get a surgery during the MEB process or wait it out for the results?" I am in constant pain but am not sure what a surgery will do to my chances of being medically retired at 30%, if I can even get that high.
The typical answer that you'll get from the MEB Office most likely is that they don't want you to have any "elective" surgeries during the IDES process. However, if you're in constant pain, then there is an option that you can try. I had 5 different surgeries during my IDES proceedings; 3 back surgeries and 2 nasal surgeries. All it took was a Memorandum from my PEBLO to the DCCS of the hospital saying that the surgeries were necessary. The DCCS signed off on it, and off I went for surgery. However, there are pros and cons; Pros: If you are active duty, most likely there will be little if any out of pocket expense for the surgery. I assume you are covered currently under Tricare Prime? Given the choice, I would personally rather have a little bit of input regarding selecting a surgeon. Tricare is pretty good about that. I have no idea what the process would be to get your surgery done after you are out, especially if you are talking about having to get the VA involved with the approval process, surgeon selection and timeline. Also, it may address your constant pain sooner rather than later. Cons: It could affect your ratings, if you're not that far into the process.

Just my experience.

tvan2

Registered Member
Thanks for sharing your experience I am really close to just deciding to go ahead with the surgery regardless of the outcome. And yes I do have Tricare prime so cost isn't an issue but you bring up a good point about what happens after I'm out. Also I have turned in my appeal already so my packet is heading to the PEB soon so do you think that would impact my ratings? One other thing were your ratings impacted after the surgeries you received and if so did having them make you fit for duty?

Camp P Marine

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Thanks for sharing your experience I am really close to just deciding to go ahead with the surgery regardless of the outcome. And yes I do have Tricare prime so cost isn't an issue but you bring up a good point about what happens after I'm out. Also I have turned in my appeal already so my packet is heading to the PEB soon so do you think that would impact my ratings? One other thing were your ratings impacted after the surgeries you received and if so did having them make you fit for duty?
I had surgery during IDES, after the C&P exams. My ratings are proposed now without effect. I won't claim the surgery until I start getting VA disability compensation.

Also if you wait until you're out it might take a long time to get. 6 months for ratings, another 3 months to use up terminal, get enrolled in VA Healthcare, more opinions, treatments?.....

Another consideration is surgery's effects on employment. The VA can pay you at 100% rate while you are recovering, but military wages far exceed that. Convalescent Leave = free time off, full pay.

Last edited:

tvan2

Registered Member
Thanks for the valuable information. Can you tell me if the DOD will extend orders based on surgery recovery periods, I hear that a hip surgery can take up to six months to fully recover and am afraid that I will not be covered for the entire recovery?

Camp P Marine

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I think the MEBLO "deferred" mailing my package only until the convalescent leave time was up. In other words, realistically they will disregard your recovery to reach their timeline goals.
Thanks for the valuable information. Can you tell me if the DOD will extend orders based on surgery recovery periods, I hear that a hip surgery can take up to six months to fully recover and am afraid that I will not be covered for the entire recovery?

vafie27

Registered Member
I am in the same situation. Did you get the surgery? If so how did it impact your MEB process?

Camp P Marine

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I Think the MEB people just waited until my 30 day conv leave was up and forwarded my package to the PEB. I had all the C & P Exams before the surgery. It did very little to slow anything down. My ratings were unaffected because of the surgery, but I had a medical device implanted.

lucky208

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Wanted to revive this thread. My unit med officer/ PA is stating that either I choose surgery or MEB. PEBLO is stating that surgery is ok and will not affect MEB processing. Who makes the call?

lucky208

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Since my last posting, I met with the MEB medical provider and my surgeries are permitted. Will resume VA medical assessments after surgeries.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">