Gi bill tranfersability

Pdwyer

Registered Member
I am currently on a peb board due to my lower back and I'm digging around for some information. I have 11 years active in the Marines and was planning on transferring it to my kids. Since I am medically unqualified for retention can I transfer my education benefits? I keep asking around and so far I'm getting nowhere. I have not gotten told no, but never yes. If anyone can provide me with some input that would be appreciated, thanks

I know for the Army, you incur a 4 year service obligation when doing so; however, when I spoke to the counselor that approves the transfer requests she simply said if you MED Board prior to meeting this obligation just simply provide a copy of my medical retirement orders and the requirement is waived. Not sure how the Marines works but almost certain the process is similar; therefore, recommend you contacting the source like I did to get an **accurate** answer. Good luck!

I am in the same boat as you and I found documentation from the Marine Corps that stated all you had to do was 10 years. if you were already past your 10 year requirement you had to do the maximum amount of time the Marine Corps would allow, so if you couldn't do the extra 4 years because of the Med board then it will still get approved. i'll try to find the documentation but I would go to your career planner and start an "extension" request and see what happens. Hope this helps.