Guilt for wanting a medical retirement

Jolly cheese

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Active Duty 10 years/Guard 16 yrs
6800 points
90% VA / unfit condition Bipolar

My Guard unit has been fighting me every step of the way. When I got my VA rating they were shocked. New guys in medical that don’t know our history.

I was asked to just voluntarily retire by Chief Flight Doctor. You have had a good career, 26 years, don’t ruin it by going out this way.
I have been unfit for over 5 months and he has to have a DAWG board to figure out what to do with me. Why don’t they just use the regulations?

He is making feel stupid for having the BP diagnosis and believes it’s not accurate. He stated I need to have my thyroid and testosterone managed better and get off the Lithium. He said if I could do that he can get me back on flight status

Deno

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
6800 points

My Guard unit has been fighting me every step of the way. When I got my VA rating they were shocked. New guys in medical that don’t know our history.

I was asked to just voluntarily retire by Chief Flight Doctor. You have had a good career, 26 years, don’t ruin it by going out this way.
I have been unfit for over 5 months and he has to have a DAWG board to figure out what to do with me. Why don’t they just use the regulations?

He is making feel stupid for having the BP diagnosis and believes it’s not accurate. He stated I need to have my thyroid and testosterone managed better and get off the Lithium. He said if I could do that he can get me back on flight status
The Doc does not want to do all the paperwork. At the end of the day do what’s best for you.

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Re: "I was asked to just voluntarily retire by Chief Flight Doctor. You have had a good career, 26 years, don’t ruin it by going out this way."

I cannot see how a legitmate service connected disability could be a negative with regard to one's overall service (i.e., "don't ruin it...).

Amazing...

Ron

p.s.

As you likely know, you would need a >=30% disability rating by your service to receive retired pay under Ch 61 disability retirement.

Jolly cheese

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
The Doc does not want to do all the paperwork. At the end of the day do what’s best for you.
Do you think it’s really over the paperwork or he just thinks I’m working the system? I feel unsure my self and don’t want this diagnosis that could be wrong. It’s a long road to a medical retirement and I’m wondering if it’s tough for everybody. I have plenty of other conditions but I guess the Bipolar is the only one he can’t waive.

Jolly cheese

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Re: "I was asked to just voluntarily retire by Chief Flight Doctor. You have had a good career, 26 years, don’t ruin it by going out this way."

I cannot see how a legitmate service connected disability could be a negative with regard to one's overall service (i.e., "don't ruin it...).

Amazing...

Ron

p.s.

As you likely know, you would need a >=30% disability rating by your service to receive retired pay under Ch 61 disability retirement.
The BP was rated at 50%, and the rest were all rated 20%, neck, back, knees, thyroid, hypertension.
Once I received my VA rating my units medical unit changed. Since I’m Guard they figured everything is non duty related. Typical. ANG unit’s now a days recruit active duty member at the 10 year point, then activate them every 18 months for 4 months. The VA duty relates anything one year after each activation. I don’t think the Guard doctors read the rules.

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
I agree, you got a lazy doc. There is nothing wrong with a medical retirement. It is not what we planned, but to continue to be successful we have to adapt!

Warrior644

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
6800 points

Indeed, it seems that you will need to prepare for a battle or continue the battle with your ANG unit in order to achieve a potential military medical retirement in accordance with applicable DoD regulations.

Without a doubt, it's probably highly beneficial for you and in your best interest to fight the ANG unit until the very end at least in my DoD IDES MEB/PEB process and DoD LDES PEB process via DoD military TDRL very lengthy experienced opinions. Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

Last edited:

mxridr

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
It took me about 4 years to get my MEB initiated but during my TDRL exam the doctor said that I should of been MEB’d right away since my condition is clearly against the Regs for retention and deployability. I have a rare autoimmune disease that attacks my nerves and every time my condition got slightly worse I would ask my PCM about a MEB and he would say that I still meet flying status and I can deploy but to come see him if I got orders to PCS or deploy. The TDRL doctor said they were probably too lazy to do the paperwork and I would agree since it took about 6 months from when I was told I was being MEB’d to when I had my VA exams.

Ssford

Registered Member
Anyone know anything about Narcolepsy? Applied several months back and just received news that as of 9/15/18 narcolepsy is no longer an approved medical condition for disability retirement?

Jolly cheese

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
It took me about 4 years to get my MEB initiated but during my TDRL exam the doctor said that I should of been MEB’d right away since my condition is clearly against the Regs for retention and deployability. I have a rare autoimmune disease that attacks my nerves and every time my condition got slightly worse I would ask my PCM about a MEB and he would say that I still meet flying status and I can deploy but to come see him if I got orders to PCS or deploy. The TDRL doctor said they were probably too lazy to do the paperwork and I would agree since it took about 6 months from when I was told I was being MEB’d to when I had my VA exams.
So it is laziness usually. I have a Guard Flight Doc arguing my VA results are wrong, no way it’s duty related. 27 good years with 18 active. They had me all set up for a non-Duty IPEB, now they don’t know what to do. I’ll be non retained soon.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">