Gulf War Syndrom and VA Ratings

OPLAW11

PEB Forum Regular Member
I was really surprised that after being medically retired for my back injury that VA took a serious interest in examining me for illnesses associated with my service in the Gulf War.

My questions are:

What are they rating veterans of the Gulf War with ailments that include:
- Chronic Fatigue
- Reocurring Skin Rashes
- Memory Loss
- Sinus problems

Additionally, should I expect that is the Army gave me 40% disability for my back alone, that I should receive a much higher percentage from VA when combined with:

-Allergies Rhinitis
-Bilateral Hand Pain
-Bilateral Wrist Pain
-Herniated Disc with Impingement
-Chronic SI Joint Dysfunction

Based upon my conditions I am attempting to determine if it unreasonable to expect 50 or 60% disability.

Thanks,

OPLAW11

Based on my own experience you will likely become very frustrated by trying to determine what ratings the VA will give you. Nearly everything depends on the Compensation and Pension Medical examinations and which VA Regional Office reviews/rates your conditions/claims. The sad fact is that you must be able to show that the additional conditions you wish to claim are service relasted/connected. Hopefully these are reflected in your Gulf War medical records. Whatever the VA determines as service connected, even rated at 0%, is beneficial. It is a crap shoot for the most part and as many will attest a monumental battle. Best thing to do is to submit your claim and see what transpires especially for your back problems which the Army has already acknowledged and rated. Many folks will say that the VA usually gives a higher rating than the military but this has not been proven to my knowledge. It is worth the effort. Good luck.

fdm

According to a 2008 report released by the Research Advisory Committee on Gulf War Veterans' illnesses, approximately one out of every four of the veterans who served in the first Persian Gulf War suffer from Persian Gulf War Syndrome (GWS) (also known as "Persian Gulf War Illness").

Those afflicted with GWS often report a range of symptoms including, but not limited to:
  • Fatigue
  • Skin disorders
  • Headaches
  • Muscle pain
  • Joint pain
  • Neurologic symptoms
  • Gastrointestinal symptoms
  • Menstrual disorders
  • Cardiovascular symptoms

There have been numerous studies conducted in the U.S. and overseas on Gulf War Illness, but many questions remain as to the cause of the sickness. However, the government report on GWI clearly stated that, "scientific evidence leaves no question that Persian Gulf War illness is a real condition with real causes and serious consequences for affected veterans

Hope it works out for you! I just completed my head to toe and the doctor informed me that he did not know what Desert Storm Syndrom was.....Ill keep all posted.

ok iam a desert shield & storm vet i been trying to get checked for persian gulf syndrom i e-mailed people at the v.a. hosp. about seeing what i had to do told my local v.a. rep. can anyone steer me in the right direction i love stepping on toes i ever e-mail my state congress man & senitors ty mike gl to u all

If you have conditions for Gulf War, is there a special rating in addition to the diagnosis rating? Or is this just for etiology purposes?

I have been doing some research on the internet about the Gulf War Syndrome. They are trying to tie it to a lot of different experiences including jet fuel. This really caught my attrition since I'm already allergic to jet fuel and had issue with it every time I deployed. There is a specific CT Scan of the brain that they are using to diagnose this from what I read. Beside trying to list everything that they think might cause it I can't help much more.

I attempted to question my VA PCM but the appointment did not go well right from the beginning. I have no idea what I said but next thing I knew I was talking to MH and I couldn't leave.

Here is a problem that I am currently in and I'm only putting out here because of what fdm stated. I'm not trying to change the subject so please look at it as why we are having problems with the VA.

I went for a C&P exam for my back and knees for an IU. The PA force my knees all the way and then asked where does it hurt. She used the goniometer on my spine but stated I was at 70% for pain and movement. She never asked where the pain started and I was already lost in the exam and never caught it. I manage to stop the report from going up. I just completed another one where the doctor didn't use a goniometer at all and did very little. I'm waiting for results before filing a complaint. The results are posted on MyHealtheVet.com three business days later.

Where I'm going with this is, this is my third C&P here and none of them have been done correctly. If we just accept their sloppy behavior we can expect bad returns. Obviously this has been going on for years. We deserve to be treated fairly and have these procedures done correctly. We need to hold them responsible for their actions.

Man I'm getting awfully preachy lately.

Indeed, preach on brother; preach on! ;)

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

I am glad you had preached, as I am extremely disgruntled with the treatment given at my appointments for C&P. the doctors did not even have my records, yet wanted to carry out the appointment based off what they could see. BS!

hello fellow vet's i been going up to n.c. from s.c. to e.c.u hospital for a gov. testing on persian gulf sundrome well after about 5 weeks going up there in 3 months time i was told i had persian gulf syndrome well i sent my paper work off to my lawyer that is working on my v.a. case's long story short i was shoot down like an enemy plane, u talk about pissed off what more do we have to do i been fighting the v.a. since 1999 i can't win. gl all .

I wish I could tell you what to do. I know I'm sounding negative but no matter what I have done, nothing works. I can't get them to listen to anything and then of course your accused of stuff. I know this is why so many have just given up and accepted what the VA deemed was fair but this changes nothing. We need to unite or get someone to fight our battles but the best way is to fight for ourselves and there is always strength in numbers. The IAVA tried to help thing along with other groups but it appeared to me that the people who got the attention was the members who did the talking. I am not putting any group down because they do help.

Your posts are pretty old, but in case any of you are still reading this do the following:

Contact your local VA and ask about the Gulf War Registry. That will get your gulf stuff recorded in the VA system.

According to a 2008 report released by the Research Advisory Committee on Gulf War Veterans' illnesses, approximately one out of every four of the veterans who served in the first Persian Gulf War suffer from Persian Gulf War Syndrome (GWS) (also known as "Persian Gulf War Illness").

Those afflicted with GWS often report a range of symptoms including, but not limited to:
  • Fatigue
  • Skin disorders
  • Headaches
  • Muscle pain
  • Joint pain
  • Neurologic symptoms
  • Gastrointestinal symptoms
  • Menstrual disorders
  • Cardiovascular symptoms

There have been numerous studies conducted in the U.S. and overseas on Gulf War Illness, but many questions remain as to the cause of the sickness. However, the government report on GWI clearly stated that, "scientific evidence leaves no question that Persian Gulf War illness is a real condition with real causes and serious consequences for affected veterans

I have mentioned this on several occasions, I am told by the VA that you need all medical records and conditions from the time you left and proof of being there, then the tests can be conducted-once someone figures out it was associated with the Gulf War.

ok iam a desert shield & storm vet i been trying to get checked for persian gulf syndrom i e-mailed people at the v.a. hosp. about seeing what i had to do told my local v.a. rep. can anyone steer me in the right direction i love stepping on toes i ever e-mail my state congress man & senitors ty mike gl to u all

If you get the run around-normally its because people don't know, and email your state representatives or call and set up an appointment with them or a representative. But there should be POC at the VA for representation, and be able to direct you to the right people.

I was really surprised that after being medically retired for my back injury that VA took a serious interest in examining me for illnesses associated with my service in the Gulf War.

My questions are:

What are they rating veterans of the Gulf War with ailments that include:
- Chronic Fatigue
- Reocurring Skin Rashes
- Memory Loss
- Sinus problems

Additionally, should I expect that is the Army gave me 40% disability for my back alone, that I should receive a much higher percentage from VA when combined with:

-Allergies Rhinitis
-Bilateral Hand Pain
-Bilateral Wrist Pain
-Herniated Disc with Impingement
-Chronic SI Joint Dysfunction

Based upon my conditions I am attempting to determine if it unreasonable to expect 50 or 60% disability.

Thanks,

OPLAW11

Well that's great you received 40% just for your back, the Air Force just decided to only give me 20% for mine and my back was shattered from L1-L3 and T11-T13-with pins and screws put in-then just removed, apparently they cant contend with my chronic neck pain until my back is healed. Go Figure