Has anyone been rated for more than one Mental Health condition?

AmyGallay

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member

Just wondering if the VA is going to try to clump everything all together. I get my C&P notes for my MH exam tomorrow.

It is a near certainty that all mental health conditions will be rated under one condition/code. The main reason is because of "anti-pyramiding" rules. Technically, I think it is possible (but, unlikely) to get separate ratings. But, this is almost astronomically impossible to have happen (and, the factors, permutations, and case specific issues would take me hours or weeks to fully explain why I think it is possible). Bottom line, you will be rated on the predominant condition and the overall impact on your social and occupational impairment (if rated properly).

It is a near certainty that all mental health conditions will be rated under one condition/code. The main reason is because of "anti-pyramiding" rules. Technically, I think it is possible (but, unlikely) to get separate ratings. But, this is almost astronomically impossible to have happen (and, the factors, permutations, and case specific issues would take me hours or weeks to fully explain why I think it is possible). Bottom line, you will be rated on the predominant condition and the overall impact on your social and occupational impairment (if rated properly).

I was trying to figure out if my trichotillomania-impulse control disorder would be rated separately from my PTSD...

Would responding to wounded members during red alarms and active mortar fire be considered combat related for me?

Would responding to wounded members during red alarms and active mortar fire be considered combat related for me?
Possibly, yes. I would claim it if in doubt.

You are not rated on the condition, but rather the symptoms from the condition. I looked up a few adjudicated cases and the common denominator is that a single disability rating for mental health disorders should be given, that encompasses all mental health conditions.

You may have to fight to make sure they conditions are service connected.

You are not rated on the condition, but rather the symptoms from the condition. I looked up a few adjudicated cases and the common denominator is that a single disability rating for mental health disorders should be given, that encompasses all mental health conditions.

I have found prior results of members who had the two MH conditions rated seperately but they were all about 10 years old. I wasn't sure if anyone here had this done and could share.

Symptoms will not fit for "ALL" mental health conditions. A person can have OCD and PTSD. Or ADD and Depression. Or anxiety and a eating disorder. and many more. The symptoms will and are not generalized to fit one and opt out the other.

I'm just asking if anyone has had two or more separately rated.

It is a violation of the code of federal regulations to receive more than one rating for a mental health disorder (38 CFR 4.14)

PTSD is considered an anxiety disorder, trichtotillomania is considered a impulse control disorder.

They both fall under the schedule of ratings for mental disorders (VASRD). Here is the schedule of ratings for mental disorders http://www.benefits.va.gov/warms/docs/regs/38CFR/BOOKC/PART4/S4_130.DOC

If you read the schedule of ratings, you will see the actual percentage number comes from occupational and social impairment.

Last edited:
I have found prior results of members who had the two MH conditions rated seperately but they were all about 10 years old. I wasn't sure if anyone here had this done and could share.
The conditions can be a separate and distinct claim (trichtotillomania and PTSD) the overlapping symptomology warrants one rating per CFR 4.14.

Just wondering if the VA is going to try to clump everything all together. I get my C&P notes for my MH exam tomorrow.
I have mine clumped in to one (around 4 different illnesses)