Has anyone been "Referred To MEB for Migraines"...

I'm really interested to know a breakdown of his ratings...

his DoD was 50 what was his VA

I have Migraine as Unfitting condition along with 2 others and another 10 conditions to be rated by VA

Dod:
50% for Migraines

VA:
50% for Migraines
50% for OSA
30% Anxiety also claimed as sleep wake condition
10% Right Knee Patello Femoral Syndrome
10% Tinnitus
0% Cervicalgia neck pain
0% Degenerative Join Disease and Lumbago or Back Pain
0% Right Hip Strain
0% LEft Hip Strain
0% Pinguecula
0% Bilateral Inguinal Hernial, s/p surgical repair with residual inguinal pain.
0% Moles aka Hypopigmentation-Skin Condition
0% Residual Scar Right Cheek
0% Scar, S/P umbilical Hernia Repair
0% Astgimatism
0% Hearing Loss
0% Acute Pharyngitis
0% Intercostal Muscle Spasms also claimed as chest pain
0% Acute Gastroenteritis
0% Nausea

They have me listed as 4 to 8 headaches a month requiring Oxygen Tank, medications and quiet seated or laying position in dim lit room.

All I can stress is make sure its in your medical records. For 5 years my husband went under the radar and we were lucky he had a really good doctor that was detailed. We also provided MFR's from his coworkers, and his migraine log.

My husband is like yourself seated or laying position is all that helps him keep his sanity. Do the medications help you at all? He has tried everything we have researched but nothing helps, prevents, or treats the pain. We met someone who received 10% for his migraines but his main condition was back problems. He had migraines 6-7 times a month, but it matters how bad they are. Yours sound similar to my husbands so make sure you stress what you go through when you meet with your doctor, their notes are a huge factor.

Along with my husbands migraines he has other things that further the impact of the migraines. He gets severe neck and back pain to the point that he cannot move. Picture keeping a book on your head and sitting or standing and walking he is very slow and has very limited movement. His claims on cervicalgia and lumbago were rated a 0%. He has had to see the Chiropractor for 4 years now and they didn't see anything significant to rate it above a 0% so they can be brutal.

All I can stress is make sure its in your medical records. For 5 years my husband went under the radar and we were lucky he had a really good doctor that was detailed. We also provided MFR's from his coworkers, and his migraine log.

My husband is like yourself seated or laying position is all that helps him keep his sanity. Do the medications help you at all? He has tried everything we have researched but nothing helps, prevents, or treats the pain. We met someone who received 10% for his migraines but his main condition was back problems. He had migraines 6-7 times a month, but it matters how bad they are. Yours sound similar to my husbands so make sure you stress what you go through when you meet with your doctor, their notes are a huge factor.

Along with my husbands migraines he has other things that further the impact of the migraines. He gets severe neck and back pain to the point that he cannot move. Picture keeping a book on your head and sitting or standing and walking he is very slow and has very limited movement. His claims on cervicalgia and lumbago were rated a 0%. He has had to see the Chiropractor for 4 years now and they didn't see anything significant to rate it above a 0% so they can be brutal.

I have never heard of anyone getting 50% for Migraines.

People told me not to even consider it.

I have what they call Right Side Cluster Migraine Headaches....basically it start by hurting to see through my right eye...blurred spots...then the right side of my face and head is just done. it is a strange pain in the eye socket. I have had them for two years first one came on like a stroke... Been treated by a neurologist for the last year at an Amry hospital. My VA C&P exam put down 4 to 8 a month and needs oxygen and seated or laying at 45 deg for optimal breathing and take pain and nauseau medicines. I do not know what the reasoning is behind 30% or 50% etc.

my doctor knows i was tired of trying meds...been through about 4 preventitive and 3 or 4 treatment. Then i was diagnosed with cancer (Malignant Melanoma) on my right cheek and of course i want to know if it has been causing my eye and head problems. they cut it out but still don't know. I now have a few things with the headaches and cancer. Here is kind of what i'm thinking

DoD Unfitting
Migraines 30% (I would love 50% but i cant get my hopes up...I will appeal anything less than 30%)
Malignant Melanoma 30%
Trigeminal Neuralgia with Cranial Dystonia (could be 30% could be 10%) basically numb face right side with a hell of a tic

VA
OSA 50%
Migraines 30%
Melanoma 30%
Trigeminal Neuralgia 30 or 10
left shoulder cartledge injury 10%
left knee meniscus tear 10%
Horner's Syndrome 0%
Bladder Void Dysfunction 0%
Chronic Rhinitis 0%
Hypertension 0%

So I'm planning in my head for Dod 50% VA 90%

Did your husband file for Social Security Disability?

PS I'm on a blood pressure med for prevention I tak 6 of them a day with side effects... it is sometimes used for migraines...they have some indication mine have something to do with air? oxygen in blood? or blood flow?

Then i'm on narcotic pain killers and nauseau meds with oxygen. trick with my Oxygen is you have to almost be able to anticipate a headache and hit O2 for 15 min at home quiet and comfortable for it to even have a chance of barely effecting headache. If you start O2 after headache you are just wasting the o2.

The narcotic meds don't help the most intense pain but what they do is relax me enough to let me focus on getting through my headache....if that makes sense.

I have had several cases with a 50% migraine rating and have seen numerous other cases over the years with this finding. It all depends on the facts and the evidence.

I have had several cases with a 50% migraine rating and have seen numerous other cases over the years with this finding. It all depends on the facts and the evidence.

Oh good to know. I mean all i can do is see the Neurologist, have a few neurologic conditions diagnosed and turned in a few memos from my commander and 1sg stating that I never have any night time duties and i will never drive to or from work in the dark due to them fearing a auto accident from a headache or siezure onset.

So not knowing what the "evidence" is that they look for there must be a threshhold they have.

Mine was actually sent back from Seattle to my C&P examinaer with the note of inadequate infor for Neurologic Rating...and had her answer and submit the following question. "How many headaches a month does SM have and are they prostating?"

just in case I got a diagnosis note from my Neurologist last week re stating 4 to 8 headaches a month and he put in (prostating)

I have never heard of anyone getting 50% for Migraines.

People told me not to even consider it.

I have what they call Right Side Cluster Migraine Headaches....basically it start by hurting to see through my right eye...blurred spots...then the right side of my face and head is just done. it is a strange pain in the eye socket. I have had them for two years first one came on like a stroke... Been treated by a neurologist for the last year at an Amry hospital. My VA C&P exam put down 4 to 8 a month and needs oxygen and seated or laying at 45 deg for optimal breathing and take pain and nauseau medicines. I do not know what the reasoning is behind 30% or 50% etc.

my doctor knows i was tired of trying meds...been through about 4 preventitive and 3 or 4 treatment. Then i was diagnosed with cancer (Malignant Melanoma) on my right cheek and of course i want to know if it has been causing my eye and head problems. they cut it out but still don't know. I now have a few things with the headaches and cancer. Here is kind of what i'm thinking

DoD Unfitting
Migraines 30% (I would love 50% but i cant get my hopes up...I will appeal anything less than 30%)

Our plan was to also appeal anything less than 30% but we were planning to appeal up to 50% due to how much its taken from my husband if the numbers didn't match up. With his rating as 50% for migraines he is on TDRL. To my understanding they can still rate him lower at the end of that time which concerns us. After 6 years of fighting for some type of relief nothing has worked, so if they downgrade his rating it will be difficult but we will fight it. We went into this not knowing much but this website and its founder are awesome so you will get a lot of info on how to prepare the best for things.

Sometimes with the ratings it all depends on the examiners review and the medical evidence, so be as detailed as possible. I have had to go to my husbands appointments because he's a very positive person. He will have been bedridden for the week with severe migraines and after two days of good days have a doctors appointment and say he's been fine.....not mentioning the hell he just went through. lol so don't man up on the records, if your hurting or have been hurting tell them.

I would keep looking into a possible connection with your migraines and cancer diagnosis, its worth a shot. I'm so sorry for all you are going through. Its difficult enough to go through the medical aspects but to add the personal and career aspects its very overwhelming. Keep going with it and try not to get discouraged :)

PS I'm on a blood pressure med for prevention I tak 6 of them a day with side effects... it is sometimes used for migraines...they have some indication mine have something to do with air? oxygen in blood? or blood flow?

Then i'm on narcotic pain killers and nauseau meds with oxygen. trick with my Oxygen is you have to almost be able to anticipate a headache and hit O2 for 15 min at home quiet and comfortable for it to even have a chance of barely effecting headache. If you start O2 after headache you are just wasting the o2.

The narcotic meds don't help the most intense pain but what they do is relax me enough to let me focus on getting through my headache....if that makes sense.

Its funny you mention oxygen, while we were waiting we were asked more information about my husbands migraines because he scuba dives on his play days. His are not responsive but I hadn't even considered it being a scenario for someone for instance flights, diving, or oxygen. Does the oxygen help you? Its something I will bring up with his neuro as any leads can be helpful, thanks for the info.

We were told by his neuro not to go to the ER anymore because no pain meds take of the pain. I'm glad something relieves it to an extent for you but I still can't imagine the pain.

Sorry to answer he has filed for Social.

As for prostrating that is what we were told is the verbiage thats good verbiage, so hopefully they take note of that.

Yeah my Neuro said you can go to er if you want but i'm going to give you good meds. he said he doesn't believe in saying no pain meds will work. and says if they numb up the rest of you then just maybe they help you get through something...without them i get anxious and worried and hurt and the cycle just keeps going.

my oxygen can perhaps lessen the severity or the durrration...but you really have to be sitting right there ready to use it before the headache starts.

next week i go in for "botox" through my neuro surgeon...he really hopes to take away some of the facial spasms and maybe it will help with headaches too.

yeah my paperwork is in and i have learned through cancer...i dont man up anymore.

When my husband has gone to the ER morphine wouldn't help so they told him not to come back after discussing it with his Neuro. Surprisingly enough sitting in a shower is more of a pain reliever for him than anything. It almost puts him in a trance to block it. Have you tried a shower at all?

Oh botox its fun stuff lol. My husband has had it a multitude of times and he thinks women are crazy because it hurts :). With your symptoms it might help though as you said a lot had to deal with your face. That could be a really good path for you. I hope you get some relief with it.

yes...the water on the head actually helps....theraputic i guess.

i also found that i have decided to keep my head almost shaved...Hair hurts. I have a full head of it but have just stopped worrying about it and shaved it all off every 10 days.

Yeah my doctor was hesitant for botox...said how are you with needles...I said im actually ok because i can bitch and cry and be done. I'm more scared of laying in a metal tube with loud noises for an hour. I have officially decided i will never do an mri again without sedation.

lol thats true about the needles then a tube.

Botox could be a really good thing for you. I hope it is, that would awesome for some relief.

All branches of services don't utilize the IDES, I had to learn this the hard way. The Coast Guard doesn't participate in this programs as of right. I'm not sure of there reasoning but they don't.

Problem with the coast guard is they aren't DOD. They are under homeland security. They are in a wierd middle state and come up with some very strange things, not just in the disability system. IMO they should convert to a civil service system, same as homeland security, and show the rest of the military how it can work. Instead they have stuck with DES and all the associated brokenness.

If they screwed you Carlos7, I hope you fight it for the rest of your brothers and sisters.

All branches of services don't utilize the IDES, I had to learn this the hard way. The Coast Guard doesn't participate in this programs as of right. I'm not sure of there reasoning but they don't.

Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

In support of @scoutCC comment above, indeed, there isn't any mention of the U.S. Coast Guard's applicability to the DES within the DoDI 1332.18 dated August 5, 2014 unfortunately. :(

As I always mention, it's highly advantageous to a military service member to remain "positively proactive" while in the DES process and never default acceptance to any injustices; fight then continue to fight some more until receipt of your desired expectations supportive via medical evidence and/or medical documentation! ;)

With that all said, please take care, get well, and enjoy life! :cool:

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!