Have approved Reiterment but unit wants MEB

I am active duty with 19 years and 3 months of service. Actual approved Retirement date is 31 Jul 2019, my 20 year mark.

I have a perm P2 profile for back and temp profiles for PTSD, lower back pain, and Mild Sleep Apnea. I have missed two exercises and will miss more due to my limitations and they want to do MEB.

Will this trump my retirement .. it’s approved but I don’t have orders yet. If the MEB only takes 5 months and then 90 days after that to separate that puts me out at June.. 60 days before my retirement date and leaves me 37 days short of 20. Can the MEB screw me out of retirement for a few weeks difference in TIS?

Grayworm. I wouldn't worry about losing your retirement. You are close enough that even if, hypothetically, the PEB comes back with results before your retirement date, you are in a safe harbor window, and should be good to go for continuation to your retirement date. IMO going through the MEB process won't hurt at all. In my case, I started the MEB process close to retirement. I was rated at 80% Military, 100% VA. I don't get the 80% (actually 75% because that is the cap), because I crossed my retirement date, and get concurrent receipt of my retirement check and VA money.

This is a close one and has MANY variables that can either go both ways. One thing that most soldiers don’t know/do prior is basically seeking legal counsel prior to starting the actual MED BOARD. For example, as I knew that the Med Board route would potentially become a reality, I began attending the briefings and spoke to the attorney/paralegal prior to things actually beginning to progress/initiate. The attorney even applauded me for reaching out to him for guidance prior as he commonly sees most soldiers when it’s time to sign critical documents as part of the overall process (sometimes too late).

BLUF - You will get several opinions depending on who you talk to but the attorneys truly have most service members best interest.

P.S - You mentioned you retirement is submitted and not approved/don’t have official orders; therefore, be advised if your unit attempts to initiate the Med Board and your “retirement approved” there is a a thing called ‘presumption of fitness’ whereas the board will see your retirement approved and will deem you fit for duty to retire. Suggest reading up on it and finding out who your MEB Legal Counsel is at your installation. Good luck!

It wouldn’t really worried as it’s not up to your unit for you to be MEB’d but rather its up to your doctor to submit you for a MEB.