Heading Toward MEB?

hgc14

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Experts,

I need some advice. Ive been in for 9 years and have had headaches and migraines for the last 6 years with them documented for the last 4. Over the last year they have been getting a lot worse. I’ve been to multiple different specialties, tried multiple different medications and treatment plans with no relief.

I’m currently seeing neurology for 2-4 prostrating migraines per week for the last 2 months. Neurology told me they want to try Topamax for the next 5 weeks before trying Botox.

How close do you think I am to a MEB at this point? Thank you for any input.

kynchanted

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hi! I've been seeing neuro for migraines since 2000 and have been on botox since 2006. I just hit 20 years AD in July. My MEB, not because of the migraines but because of the botox, was initiated in May of this year, and it was only initiated because my ability to deploy while on botox was questioned by my leadership. So long story longer you could be close or nowhere near depending on who looks at your record (or who questions it). I have three other friends who are also AD and are receiving botox for migraines - one was MEB'd and returned to duty since that member's job doesn't deploy; one was MEB'd, found unfit, appealed and was then returned to duty; and one hasn't been MEB'd yet. No clear answers unfortunately....

kynchanted

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hi! I've been seeing neuro for migraines since 2000 and have been on botox since 2006. I just hit 20 years AD in July. My MEB, not because of the migraines but because of the botox, was initiated in May of this year, and it was only initiated because my ability to deploy while on botox was questioned by my leadership. So long story longer you could be close or nowhere near depending on who looks at your record (or who questions it). I have three other friends who are also AD and are receiving botox for migraines - one was MEB'd and returned to duty since that member's job doesn't deploy; one was MEB'd, found unfit, appealed and was then returned to duty; and one hasn't been MEB'd yet. No clear answers unfortunately....
Forgot to add this is at four different bases too. I'm not sure how the "deploy or get out" policy will play into botox therapy heading forward AFwide (since Army and Navy can get botox downrange but AF can't at this time).

hgc14

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Forgot to add this is at four different bases too. I'm not sure how the "deploy or get out" policy will play into botox therapy heading forward AFwide (since Army and Navy can get botox downrange but AF can't at this time).
Thanks for the info. It seems like they might not have a specific protocol regarding Botox. I’m hoping that I do get some relief from Botox but just trying to get my ducks in a row now and plan for the future.

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
I think as long as their are treatment options available, talk of a MEB is too early. However, you should keep a headache journal and by your use of the word protrating I assume you know the language that needs to be kept regarding the headaches you are reporting.

hgc14

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I think as long as their are treatment options available, talk of a MEB is too early. However, you should keep a headache journal and by your use of the word protrating I assume you know the language that needs to be kept regarding the headaches you are reporting.
Thanks ChaplainCharlie. I’ve been keeping a log per guidance of this site. I’ll continue the process but my PCM and Neurologist made it seem like Botox was kind of the pinnacle of migraine treatment.

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Botox is being used more often for migraines. But whatever works for you is the best treatment modality. Many neurologist and some other providers are trained to use Botox for migraines.

hgc14

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Code 37 started on 1 March so I guess I’m in the IRILO stage/NARSUM now? I haven’t gotten a call from the PEBLO yet but the interventions haven’t helped and I think my team of providers are at the end of treatment options.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">