HELP! Being sent to Germany from Kuwait for possible MEB/PEB

Steven Phares

Registered Member
I am currently in Kuwait on deployment and have been suffering from insomnia for about 4 months. I have been getting help from Combat Stress for 2 months, but since I have had a lack of sleep it has been snowballing and causing me to have more and more headaches to include migraines. During the SRP process I was flagged for my migraines that happen maybe once a month if that. Now with the insomnia, I have them every few days. I asked a question to one of my medics about sleep meeds and weapons if I had to be pulled up to Balad since you can forget things or sleep walk while on them. Now all of a sudden I am being sent home to demob and med board at Ft Lewis. First it was for the headaches, then they changed the story to me saying that I can't carry a weapon. WTF right? I never said that.

So today I am informed that I will go to Balad (for unknown reasons) and then go to Germany first. What is going on and what can I expect? I am a technician at home and if they decide to discharge me I am totally screwed and will lose my job!:mad: Needless to say I am freaking out right now and now having more stress added onto me by this BN. Anyone???

Chinook

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Hey Steven, Sorry to hear about all thats going on. Since no one has replied yet, I'll give you my take...

I am a medic...on tdrl myself...and I can tell you that yes, sleep / mood meds and weapons are usually a no-go. :) You didn't really state that you were on meds, just that you were stating a question to the medic-but, assuming you were on meds, you have insomnia, getting help from Combat Stress....it is logical and practical and a good call for them to send you to Germany My guess-Landstuhl for some evaluation/treatment. (Balad, prob for evac and medical too) ...I mean you have to admit, there have been a few maniacs out there who have turned there weapons on our own. So, I think it was a good call on your part to mention all this to the medics anyway. You know-the med board at Ft Lewis doesn't have to be the end of your career. They (medical) need to figure out why you were having insomnia...if it was just a temp thing or is there an underlying condition. Was it only stress induced, and can you figure out how to work past it. If so, and your headaches stop/migranes stop and you get yourself off meds. Well then back to work you go. It sounds like you were being honest with yourself and with the medical people-and thats courageous in itself. Really. I think that once you are in Germany the process will be better for you. The doctors will listen and reason with you. Out in the AOR they aren't taking chances...once you're out of there, everyone calms down a bit and I believe you'll get some good guidance. For now, one step at a time....you already have yourself out on the street corner with a sign....no,no.no. This can work out. If you need some help, you need some help. Be honest with the doc's, let them figure this out and I swear to you....everything has a way of working out for the good. It may not seem so at the moment (I know, I've lived it), but in the long run everyting works out. And, worrying will get you nothing but ulcers. Start meditation and relaxation stuff and do your very best to help yourself heal. You can make this go your way :) Good luck and good health to you.

Steven Phares

Registered Member
Thanks for the info, it has helped me calm down some. As an EMT for 16 years on the civilian side of the house, I thought it was a valid question to bring up also. I'm just trying to stay focused on getting to Germany then Lewis, like you said, one step at a time. I think that once I'm away for a while it will reverse itself (hopefully).

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">