Help Please, PTSD VA Doctor told me to submit a claim

Peter.parker.gonzalez

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Greetings everyone, I have a question and was wondering if I can get some help please. I have been out of the military now for two years through the medboard process, and currently at a 70 percent disability rating, that is temporary because i'm supposed to be evaluated within 2 years, but I have not been evaluated yet. I got out in 2018 of December, I have also been seeing a depression therapist at the VA since I have been out in 2018. My depression was rated at 30 percent temporary. Like I said I have been continuing my treatments of seeing the therapist, and also have been taking the medications that the doctor has prescribe for my depression and anxiety. I am also going through a divorce currently because life has been spiraling down a bit for me, but my question is, that my doctor said I came up positive for PTSD and sent me to the PTSD doctor. I had my first meeting with the doctor today and she has agreed that the PTSD is there, and we will be undergoing a 12 to 15 week ptsd trauma therapy session. She has also told me to submit a ptsd service connected claim via ebenefits. She doesn't know to much about the process, but told me I can just go to the ebenefits website and go and file a claim there because they would be able to see all my records, and therapy sessions. I have never done this before and was just wondering if someone can please help me by showing me how this can be done please. Is it as simple as simply going to the ebenfits website and clicking file a new claim? I have never done this before and would greatly appreciate any help that I can get please, I just want to make sure I do this correctly because I have seen that dealing with the va is not always an easy process, thank you again very much.

Yes you can file a claim on E-benefit. It is easy, just follow the prompts. If the PTSD doc will complete a DBA for you, then upload the DBQ to the claim as it will greater speed up a decision.

An additional mental health claim may changed your benefits, but you will NOT get to percentages. You will get the higher of the two percentages. Look at the DBE, if the PTSD clinic will fill it out for you. Pay special attention to the block on social and occupational functioning. Come back and let me know which block is checked. Depending on the block checked it may be worth your while financially to file a claim.

Yes you can file a claim on E-benefit. It is easy, just follow the prompts. If the PTSD doc will complete a DBA for you, then upload the DBQ to the claim as it will greater speed up a decision.

An additional mental health claim may changed your benefits, but you will NOT get to percentages. You will get the higher of the two percentages. Look at the DBE, if the PTSD clinic will fill it out for you. Pay special attention to the block on social and occupational functioning. Come back and let me know which block is checked. Depending on the block checked it may be worth your while financially to file a claim.

thank you so much for your response, the DBA form that you mention where do I get that form for the doctor to fill out? do I just ask the doctor for it. Like asking the doctor if they can fill out a DBA form for me during my next appointment? and is it called a DBA or DBQ? thank you again so much for you help

I have also registered for a VSO today on ebenefits. Is the next step to call the office and speak to them to ask for their help in completing the PTSD claim?

You already have a MH disability you can file for an increase because 30% is a little low compared to what you are telling us here. Attached is a good guideline on which symptoms are required for a higher rating.

Attachments

• MH Ratings.jpg
    MH Ratings.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 20
You already have a MH disability you can file for an increase because 30% is a little low compared to what you are telling us here. Attached is a good guideline on which symptoms are required for a higher rating.

Thank you so much for your response, yeah I had 30 percent 2 years ago on my way out the army it was never permanent.. I was supposed to get a re-eval since it was temporary 2 years after I got out. But since I have been out things have gotten worst. So thank you so much. So should I file for an Increased a long with filing for the PTSD or how should I go about this. I also have a VSO representative as well as I made one today. But haven’t submitted anything yet. Thank you for your input on this it is really appreciated

Adding additional MH issues wont really help you just focus on the social and occupational impairment listed above thats the golden goose to get the correct rating.

Adding additional MH issues wont really help you just focus on the social and occupational impairment listed above thats the golden goose to get the correct rating.

thank you for that okay. So I should talk with my Vso and tell them I want to file a claim for a higher rating for my depression & anxiety? Or how exactly would that work? Would I still be filing a new claim or is there another method I have to do since this wouldn’t technically be a new claim but an existing one

thank you so much for your response, the DBA form that you mention where do I get that form for the doctor to fill out? do I just ask the doctor for it. Like asking the doctor if they can fill out a DBA form for me during my next appointment? and is it called a DBA or DBQ? thank you again so much for you help
Unfortunately the VA has removed all DBQs from their website. They claimed the forms were being misused. VA providers and providers that serve as VA examiners should have access to the form. Your case is a perfect example as to why the form should be available to you.

Unfortunately the VA has removed all DBQs from their website. They claimed the forms were being misused. VA providers and providers that serve as VA examiners should have access to the form. Your case is a perfect example as to why the form should be available to you.

that sucks but thank you so much for your help though. I talked with my VSO and he told me to request a claim increase for my depression and anxiety because 30 percent Is definitely to low for my case. And he said also just put the PTSD as a new claim. I guess either way Im hoping that I should at least get a percentage increase on that 30 percent considering I’ve been seeing a therapist for the last 2years and being treated for it with the medications that are helping me.

With MH issues the percentage is driven by occupational and social functioning. So from the perspective of how much money you will received, if you have one, two, or 10 mental health diagnoses makes no different.

Thank you, yes my VSO said the 30 percent that I have for my MH from 2 years ago is pretty low for the current circumstances that are going on right now and told me to go for a claim increase for that. Which I am in the process of doing; any other help I would greatly appreciate it

Hello everyone just wanted to give a quick update. I have my c&p for my ptsd claim tomorrow. The psychologist said he also spoke with my ptsd therapist already; and just wanted to go over a few things