Help...should I go IRR at 17.5 years

I’m currently in the AF reserves. I have 17.5 years. (3000) points. I’m awaiting a med board. I am 70% rated through the VA. Should I go IRR before I hit sanctuary (18years). Or does sanctuary apply to reservists? I would like to shoot for chapter 61 retirement (tricare and early pension) or can I still be medically retired after serving 20 years in the reserves (3100 points)? Thank you all in advance for any help

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
When a reservist is MEB’d and the MEB results in medical retirement, retired pay starts then, not later.

Provis

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
There is no such thing as sanctuary for reservists for this situation. Sanctuary is only when you hit 18 Active duty years and then if you get on orders they have to keep you on orders until you hit 20 active duty years. So you either need to be medically discharged or have 20 good years to get your retirement. if they discharge you and its not due to a LOD then you will get your retirement at age 60 or less in some cases due to deployments lowering the age a bit. Google 15 year letter. If they say its because of a LOD then if rated 30% or higher you get medical retirement immediately. If rated 20% or less you will decline severance and just get retirement at age 60 with 15 year letter. Whatever you do don't go to the IRR until you hit 20 good years! That's the only way you get screwed in your current situation.

Golferwes40

Registered Member
Thank you for the advice. I guess to sum up my entire question, can you be medically retired after 20 years in the reserves? I know you can’t on ad

Guardguy11

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Thank you for the advice. I guess to sum up my entire question, can you be medically retired after 20 years in the reserves? I know you can’t on ad
Yes, you can be medically retired after 20 good years, but not 20 years of Title 10 service or 7200 points.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">