Help with CRSC

Blackwidow13

Registered Member
I just received my CSRC approval and I’m trying to figure out the pay for it, if any.

I received my calculations form DFAS at method A $3103
That is waived for my VA at $3462

They calculated it with method B at $1745 to show both

Currently I only receive VA pay.

My CDRC was a 70% rating
Army 80%
VA 100%
Spouse and 2 children

Blackwidow13 said

I went from TDRL to PDRL in Aug, I’m not receiving any retirement pay as I’ve waived it for VA.

Disability percentage is $3103 method A
Service $1750 method B (16.92 yrs)
100% T&P VA ($3462)
70% CRSC approved rating
Could you please help me understand the calculations?
====================
Reply:
Not all the necessary info is presented, but I might be able to back into it

1. 16.9 years x 2.5% = 42.25 of X
2. Service 1750/0.4225 = ~4142 ave of high 3 base pay
3. Proof: 4142 x 42.25% = 1750 longevity portion of retirement
4. CRSC @ 70% vet alone $1365; with spouse $1481 (dependents not mentioned)
5. I suspect you will choose the higher rate of A, $3103. All of that will be waived due to $3462 VA comp; no residual retired pay.
6. You will be entitled to the lesser of item 3 dollar amount of longevity portion of retired pay OR dollar amount of CRSC rate approved by service which mirrors the same rate in the VA comp tables, item 4.
7. Your CRSC, based on limited info provided by you will be: CRSC @ 70% vet alone $1365; with spouse $1481 (dependents not mentioned) OR any other CRSC rate @70% that is less than $1750. If your CRSC rate happens to be more than $1750, then you would receive $1750.

Thank you RonG for your help! It’s crazy that it’s taken a year for the approval letter and now I’m waiting for DFAS, but in the long run it will be worth it.

This CRSC calculation is kicking my a$$. I received 40% DOD for service connected at my med board, 100% from the VA. I have 7 years 3 months of active service. one dependent my wife and no children. However the CRSC is giving me 50% for combat related injury. I do not collect retirement from the Army I collect $3245 disability from the VA. My 3 highest years of pay average out to $2683. I have attempted to calculate this out 5 times already and each time I get a different number?!?!?!? My calculations have ranged from $259 all the way up to $1245........... I know I am missing something Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance for the help.

Aaron,

1. 2683 H-3 x 0.40 = ~1073 Ret Pay...all waived due to receipt of VA comp which exceeds the ret pay...no residual
2. 7.25 yrs x 2.5% = 18.13% multiplier
3. 2683 H-3 x 0.1813 = 486.43 longevity portion of ret pay which is less than the 50% approved by your service.

4. CRSC = 486.43 based on your info provided

Ron

Aaron,

1. 2683 H-3 x 0.40 = ~1073 Ret Pay...all waived due to receipt of VA comp which exceeds the ret pay...no residual
2. 7.25 yrs x 2.5% = 18.13% multiplier
3. 2683 H-3 x 0.1813 = 486.43 longevity portion of ret pay which is less than the 50% approved by your service.

4. CRSC = 486.43 based on your info provided

Ron
Thank you very much for the help I greatly appreciate the assistance

Glad to help...

Ron

I hope someone may be able to help with this, as DFAS has people talking out their a$$. I was initially awarded a CRSC rating of 40%. As of several months ago this rating was increased to 80%. When speaking with DFAS they are informing me that there is no pay increase with this percentage amount because I am already "capped out" at the current dollar amount. From what I understood maybe I am wrong but the amount I already am receiving is a percentage of the calculated retirement based off my time in service. Knowing this I am confused on how I could be at max pay at 40% when they say that the percentage pay cap is at 75-80 %

I hope someone may be able to help with this, as DFAS has people talking out their a$$. I was initially awarded a CRSC rating of 40%. As of several months ago this rating was increased to 80%. When speaking with DFAS they are informing me that there is no pay increase with this percentage amount because I am already "capped out" at the current dollar amount. From what I understood maybe I am wrong but the amount I already am receiving is a percentage of the calculated retirement based off my time in service. Knowing this I am confused on how I could be at max pay at 40% when they say that the percentage pay cap is at 75-80 %
That is a common occurrence because there are multiple caps.

1. CRSC cannot exceed the amount of retired pay waived.
2. CRSC cannot exceed the amount associated with the percentage approved by the DoD (amounts found in the VA compensation tables)
3. CRSC cannot exceed the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retired pay.
Those are the most common restrictions. Item number 3 is often seen in Chapter 61 cases.

When item three applies, it does not matter how high the approved CRSC rate goes, the retiree is limited by the longevity portion of retired pay. In fact, most of the CH 61 cases I have computed result in CRSC in accordance with the limitation at item 3.

Ron

That is a common occurrence because there are multiple caps.

1. CRSC cannot exceed the amount of retired pay waived.
2. CRSC cannot exceed the amount associated with the percentage approved by the DoD (amounts found in the VA compensation tables)
3. CRSC cannot exceed the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retired pay.
Those are the most common restrictions. Item number 3 is often seen in Chapter 61 cases.

When item three applies, it does not matter how high the approved CRSC rate goes, the retiree is limited by the longevity portion of retired pay. In fact, most of the CH 61 cases I have computed result in CRSC in accordance with the limitation at item 3.

Ron

Ron,
ok I see now, and better understand this. Thank you very much.

A.Rogers