Help with dod rating

Steadyflowin

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
My package currently just got sent up and im told im likely to only get a 20% rating from dod... i have avascular necrosis in hips which cant be cured without total hip arthoplasty. This condition was a result of the steroid injections they gave me to "diagnose" my condition.

I think this is completely unfair given this has been the biggest hell of my entire life and thats saying a lot and after neglect and ignorance and improper treatment i now willl never be the same again or work the jobs ive always wanted to. Im in constant excruciating pain 24/7 and can barely do anything in or out of work besides sit down and lay in bed. This has really taken a toll on me. Ive lost my physique, my spark, i struggle mentally, and im constantly cranky so people dont really even invite me out anymore but i cant blame them.

Anyways sorry for the rant enough of the pity party just had to get some of it off my chest. Id like to know what i can do to at LEAST get 30% for medical retirement... i dont care about what the va rates me. Im only concerned with reaching 30% and its ridiculous to only rate me 20 when my rom is messed up. Which i also believe that the lady measuring me was nkt being accurate... she did it beyond fast and coincidentally matched up to the last time i had rom test on my hip which the condition has gotten worse and worse and when i did it the first time i was pushing through a lot of pain whereas i stopped once pain ensued on the va exam

Please, any input is appreciated and to all those on med boards good luck to you and hang in there

If you disagree with a percentage, once you get the results request a VARR.

If you disagree that a particular contention should have been found unfit, but was found fit then request a Formal PEB.

I suggest you contact your service's counsel for the PEB process. This is a free service provide to you.

If you disagree with a percentage, once you get the results request a VARR.

If you disagree that a particular contention should have been found unfit, but was found fit then request a Formal PEB.

I suggest you contact your service's counsel for the PEB process. This is a free service provide to you.
By counsel who do you mean exactly?

And once i am deemed fit or unfit about how long does the process take after that?

And once i am deemed fit or unfit about how long does the process take after that?
Hello,

I believe he was speaking about the services discussed at
LINK---->Legal counsel help soldiers navigate MEB and PEB process

From the Army:
"Soldiers being medically boarded, or referred to a Medical Evaluation Board (MEB), have the right to elect for an Army lawyer, known as a Soldiers' Medical Evaluation Board Counsel (SMEBC)."

I used a search engine to locate several...at different locations.

Good luck,
Ron

I was talking about legal counsel. Every service provides free attorney services during the PEB process. Since most service members are not fully aware of the process, legal counsel is probably desirable.

I was talking about legal counsel. Every service provides free attorney services during the PEB process. Since most service members are not fully aware of the process, legal counsel is probably desirable.
Ah i understand now. I have spoke with him and while a great guy and a reasonable suggestion, he said to just get more documented proof. I have adhered to his advice in that I went by BAS and my ortho and they both did the hip test, but did not document it. Basically just told me, yeah, thats bad.

I just dont understand... im being medboarded for my hip condition and my hips are absolutely the worst thing. I looked through the other records from the VA exam and most of it seemed accurate, but the hips. For example: the internal rotation (you turn inward and then move your leg out) is the most insidious of them all. I can barely rotate inwards so bad that the lady got impatient with me because she thought i wasnt doing it, and then i can barely move outwards at all and with extreme pain, yet the ROM marks on that specific test was actually the best one out of all of them?

Sorry just ventilating here, but its so frustrating... i went through hell and back and told doctors over and over again there was something wrong and eventually because my DOCTOR didnt trust the MRI that i waited AGES to get for some reason... wanted to use injections not to treat but to DIAGNOSE me instead of running another MRI, knowing that there are possible risks and complications of steroids and now a simple and fairly promising surgery turned into avascular necrosis and terminator hips for the rest of my life. Im not trying to sound spoiled or rob the system by any means, but given the fact that i was neglected, ignored, and then a very SERIOUS part of my body was ruined, and then told by a surgeon he wont give me surgery until my hips COLLAPSE completely, i think i deserve at least the minimum retirement rating from dod. I think thats only fair. All i wanted to do was get fixed up real quick, return to active duty, train and deploy, yet now i feel punished and my whole demeanor has changed now and i will never finish my dream job or be able to participate in my 2nd. I gery well may be in a wheel chair when im old because only so many tha's can be completed until you run out of bone.

So any advice is much appreciating. Ive got a lot of respect and gratuity for everyone here helping out people they dont even know. Im assuming that this entire board has gone through the process so thank you and for those that arent triumphant yet, hang in there brothers and sisters

Most, have in fact gone through the medical process as you assumed, including chaplaincharlie who provides great advice.

I did not, but I enjoy the company here.

Good luck with your treatments and hopefully you will receive the rating you deserve.

Ron

Ah i understand now. I have spoke with him and while a great guy and a reasonable suggestion, he said to just get more documented proof. I have adhered to his advice in that I went by BAS and my ortho and they both did the hip test, but did not document it. Basically just told me, yeah, thats bad.

I just dont understand... im being medboarded for my hip condition and my hips are absolutely the worst thing. I looked through the other records from the VA exam and most of it seemed accurate, but the hips. For example: the internal rotation (you turn inward and then move your leg out) is the most insidious of them all. I can barely rotate inwards so bad that the lady got impatient with me because she thought i wasnt doing it, and then i can barely move outwards at all and with extreme pain, yet the ROM marks on that specific test was actually the best one out of all of them?
A VARR may be necessary if the hip ROM was inaccurate!

Thank you all for the support.

Can you elaborate on the VARR is that the appealing process? If so I must wait for the findings first, yes?

Thank you all for the support.

Can you elaborate on the VARR is that the appealing process? If so I must wait for the findings first, yes?
What is a VARR?
VA Rating Reconsideration (VARR)

“It is a written request to the Disability Rating Activity Site (D-RAS) made after accepting the Informal Physical Evaluation Board (IPEB) findings or receiving the Formal Physical Evaluation Board (FPEB) findings. The request must be made in writing to either the Physical Evaluation Board Liaison Officer (PEBLO) or to the Physical Evaluation Board (PEB).”

My knowledge in this area is limited to the one minute it took to find and read the above and related links.

There are several discussions on this board regarding VARR. Use the board’s search feature for “VARR”.

Good luck,
Ron