Help with Post 911 GI Transfer

joshypogi

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello,

I transferred my post 911 GI Bill to my son back in DEC 2016. I got medically boarded and medically retiring in 30 Jul 2018 and I do have 20 years AFS.

I will not be able to complete the 4 year requirement to stay on active because I am being medically retired.

The question is am I exempted from fulfilling the extra 4 years AFS required to transfer my post 911 GI bill to my son?

This has been bothering me quite a bit because my son just graduated high school and will be using it soon. Thank you very much for any helpfull answer you guys can provide.

I recently found documentation that stated that the main requirement was that the service member did 10 years. As long as 10 years had been served then the member had to serve as much as the service would allow. I am currently going through this because I'm at 12 and trying to transfer my benefits with an extension. if the extension gets denied then i should still be able to transfer due to the order. I will try to find the documentation for you. Hope this helps.

Thank you, any piece of info will really help. I’ve been calling some people but nobody seems to know anything as usual.

I recently found documentation that stated that the main requirement was that the service member did 10 years. As long as 10 years had been served then the member had to serve as much as the service would allow. I am currently going through this because I'm at 12 and trying to transfer my benefits with an extension. if the extension gets denied then i should still be able to transfer due to the order. I will try to find the documentation for you. Hope this helps.

joshypogi, Glad to hear it. I should have posted the relevant info in my post for others who search this subject (or if the link changes):

https://www.hrc.army.mil/content/Post 911 GI Bill Frequently Asked Questions

Q8: What if I committed to additional service time to transfer benefits and I fail to complete the agreed upon additional service?
A8:
If you fail to complete the additional service agreement, the amount of any transferred entitlement that was used by a dependent will be treated as an overpayment of educational assistance. Any benefit used by a dependent under this circumstance will be treated as an overpayment, and the VA will collect the overpayment. Unused transferred benefits will revert back to the Soldier who transferred the benefits. There are exceptions:
  • By law, the above does not apply in the case of a Soldier who fails to complete service agreed to by the Soldier by reason of death, separation from active duty or SELRES due to a pre-existing medical condition determined not service-connected, separation for hardship, separation for a physical or mental condition that was not characterized as a disability and did not result from the Soldier's own willful misconduct but did interfere with the Soldier's ability to perform assigned duties, and Reduction in Force, Force-Shaping initiative, and medical disability.

I did the TEB and went through MEB/PEB afterwards, but before I had met the ADSO requirement for the transfer. I got in touch with the folks at Army HRC that handle the TEB and explained the situation. I ultimately provided them post-PEB retirement orders and they replied with an updated COE for TEB that changed my ADSO date to the day prior to the effective date of the orders.

FWIW, and I know you said Air Force, but the Army TEB stuff was handled by the "Finance and Incentives Branch" and there were separate departments for officer & enlisted TEB. The hardest part was tracking down the right people. When I did mine there were 2 people who handled officer TEB stuff so finding someone that specialized & catching them at their desk can be difficult. It seemed everybody else I talked to had the wrong info.

I highly suggest you work the phones and track down the actual TEB technicians because, in my experience, nobody else actually knows what's going on in regards to that program and it seems the details of transferring GI bill benefits change monthly.

YellowHammer,

Do you have the phone numbers for HRC that you called? Im exactly in the same boat, I transferred my Post 911 GI Bill it before the MEB even started. I emailed the people at HRC but did not get any response.

I did the TEB and went through MEB/PEB afterwards, but before I had met the ADSO requirement for the transfer. I got in touch with the folks at Army HRC that handle the TEB and explained the situation. I ultimately provided them post-PEB retirement orders and they replied with an updated COE for TEB that changed my ADSO date to the day prior to the effective date of the orders.

FWIW, and I know you said Air Force, but the Army TEB stuff was handled by the "Finance and Incentives Branch" and there were separate departments for officer & enlisted TEB. The hardest part was tracking down the right people. When I did mine there were 2 people who handled officer TEB stuff so finding someone that specialized & catching them at their desk can be difficult. It seemed everybody else I talked to had the wrong info.

I highly suggest you work the phones and track down the actual TEB technicians because, in my experience, nobody else actually knows what's going on in regards to that program and it seems the details of transferring GI bill benefits change monthly.

Really glad someone asked this question because I recently started to wonder my self. I did the paperwork for TEB a couple years ago and now I'm going through MEB. I am going to be medically retired and will not be able to hit the 4 year requirement. I was worried that I would lose the ability to give my children those benefits..

Found this while googling the 1-800-872-8272 number: HRC Memo

As of October 2017 you cannot initiate a request for TEB once you have entered IDES and have it approved unless you are found fit.