Help with VA, please read

Dw262

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello everyone,

I recently separated from the USAF on 27 September. I would call the VA and ask myself but I moved to Australia so it is a bit difficult and every time I email them, they say they don't have the correct information from me and I'm just hoping maybe someone here experienced this or it is normal:

I checked my VA status on Va.gov. it had the claim as closed back in June then another back on the 7th closed and now another (all the same claims for injury from the MEB) opened on the 28th and sitting at preparation for decision. Is this just the formal rating versus the proposed from the MEB process? Is this normal? No one explained this part to me and I cant reach out to anyone really from where I'm living now.

I just could really use my benefit money and waiting is driving me nuts, as I haven't gotten my last paycheck from the AF nor my severance yet. Thank you for your time

tony292

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
If it’s at prep for a decision, there is little that can be done but wait. Even if you spend hours on hold with the 800 number, they won’t tell you anything.

Dw262

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
If it’s at prep for a decision, there is little that can be done but wait. Even if you spend hours on hold with the 800 number, they won’t tell you anything.

I live in Australia so calling them isn't really a good option. But I already have ratings and got the packet back from my PEBLO months ago. My claim is closed though? Yet another for the same thing was opened 28 Sept after I was discharged from my med board which is why I am so lost. The VA site email wont reply because they keep saying my bday is wrong when it isn't.

tony292

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
The way it works is that the VA rating before you’re out is a preliminary rating. Once you’re out, they reopen it and when complete it is final. At least that’s the way it was explained to me.

Dw262

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
The way it works is that the VA rating before you’re out is a preliminary rating. Once you’re out, they reopen it and when complete it is final. At least that’s the way it was explained to me.
Thank you! That sentence was very helpful, and more than what I was told in the process of all this haha

7869jake

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Dw262,

What you're seeing is totally normal. The most recent "claim" on va.gov should be the final one regarding your claimed conditions from the IDES process. I medically retired on July 28, and it took just under 3 weeks for my ratings to get finalized, and that was with a few administrative set backs (such as me STILL not having a DD214 for any of my periods of active service... but that is a whole other story). That's not to say that you will follow the exact same time frame, but it was recent enough to give you a good idea of what to expect.

All in all, you should be getting your VA rating finalized fairly soon.

Best of luck, mate! :)

Dw262

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Dw262,

What you're seeing is totally normal. The most recent "claim" on va.gov should be the final one regarding your claimed conditions from the IDES process. I medically retired on July 28, and it took just under 3 weeks for my ratings to get finalized, and that was with a few administrative set backs (such as me STILL not having a DD214 for any of my periods of active service... but that is a whole other story). That's not to say that you will follow the exact same time frame, but it was recent enough to give you a good idea of what to expect.

All in all, you should be getting your VA rating finalized fairly soon.

Best of luck, mate! :)
Oh my that is crazy you don't have your dd214 yet! I hope everything goes smoothly for you in that process as well. Thank you for the response, it is very reassuring.

I feel like somethings were just not mentioned to me in the process. I keep seeing people saying they had to upload their dd214 once they got out but I was never told that. I still don't know if I need to honestly

7869jake

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Well, you do need to give the VA a copy of your DD 214. Why the DoD doesn't just send them to the VA automatically is for another discussion as well.

On that note however, for you and posterity, while you do "need" to provide the VA with your DD214 once you have one, you DO NOT have to give them a DD214 for them to finalize your ratings from IDES. I know this, because I did this. They will tell you otherwise. Tell them they're wrong. I went around it by providing every copy of orders I've had, along with my retirement order. Hopefully no one else is ever in my situation, and they out processing like normal and actually have their DD214 in hand during final out.

Needless to say, my MPF is ABSOLUTELY WORTHLESS. Frustrating...

As to you not getting info on all of the details of the process, you're not alone. This forum helped me keep my sanity while going through it all.

Dw262

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Well, you do need to give the VA a copy of your DD 214. Why the DoD doesn't just send them to the VA automatically is for another discussion as well.

On that note however, for you and posterity, while you do "need" to provide the VA with your DD214 once you have one, you DO NOT have to give them a DD214 for them to finalize your ratings from IDES. I know this, because I did this. They will tell you otherwise. Tell them they're wrong. I went around it by providing every copy of orders I've had, along with my retirement order. Hopefully no one else is ever in my situation, and they out processing like normal and actually have their DD214 in hand during final out.

Needless to say, my MPF is ABSOLUTELY WORTHLESS. Frustrating...

As to you not getting info on all of the details of the process, you're not alone. This forum helped me keep my sanity while going through it all.

You aren't kidding, this forum has helped me as well though I just read posts when I went through the MEB process that took 2 years haha. I uploaded my DD214. It's just so stupid and redundant but that's the military and government for you.

MPF and finance drove me insane and still are. At my old base they refuse to talk to each other so any issues they blamed one another. I had to reach out to AFPC myself to prove everything. It's crazy, my orders literally said JEB code so severance/tamp eligibility. But again not surprised haha. When did you receive your last paycheck (AD wise), out of curiosity

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">