HIGH 3

If you would like a retired pay computation, please provide ALL the following info within one reply:
a. Current average high three base pay for retirement (OR gross retired pay from most recent DFAS RAS...indicate if this is your source)
b. Your approved DoD disability percentage
c. Years and months of active duty or active duty equivalent (for reserves/NG) Non-regular is points divided by 360 = equivalent
d. VA compensation percentage, amount, categories of dependents and the ages of dependent children plus amts and types of SMCs
e. Approved CRSC percentage if applicable
f. If one qualifies for another type retirement, that information is necessary as well. Also indicate if you transitioned to the Blended Retirement System.
g. Do you have a 20 year letter?
h. Have you met the age requirement for reserve retirement?

Ron
Ron,
hope this e mail finds you well sorry for missing key information. I do have my 20 year letter I’ve been on orders from my return deployment at the WTB I saw no mention of the 60% DOD PEB award in your equation VA will be 3,400.00 I meet the early retirement age to start drawing my retirement I’m under the old retirement system. In event the high 3’s are not used to calculate my pension what other variables can they use. My NGB 23 RPAM states if I retired today I would receive 2,150.00 monthly giving the 5300 points that has been earned.

Ron,
hope this e mail finds you well sorry for missing key information. I do have my 20 year letter I’ve been on orders from my return deployment at the WTB I saw no mention of the 60% DOD PEB award in your equation VA will be 3,400.00 I meet the early retirement age to start drawing my retirement I’m under the old retirement system. In event the high 3’s are not used to calculate my pension what other variables can they use. My NGB 23 RPAM states if I retired today I would receive 2,150.00 monthly giving the 5300 points that has been earned.
Hello,

I used the 60% in the example computation in March.

[from March] This addresses the disability aspect of your retirement using the example figures in the preceding post. You mentioned, "60%DOD- 100% VA".

The process by which a reserve/NG retirement would be computed using the longevity factor is shown in the preceding post.

Using the 60% DoD disability percentage you mentioned, the following would occur.

1. Example 5500 high-three x 0.60 = 3300 retired pay
2. 3300 retired pay reduced by amount of VA compensation 3,279.22 (veteran & spouse example) = 20.78 residual retired pay (i.e., left over)
3. Since you meet the age requirement for reserve retirement and also have a VA rating of 50% or more, you are eligible for CRDP. CRDP is computed as I showed for a normal reserve retirement in the preceding paragraph. The example amount of the reserve retirement (and longevity) is 2292.40.
4. 2292.40 longevity portion of retired pay minus 20.78 residual retired pay = 2271.62 CRDP
5. You would receive in this example:
a. 20.78 plus 2271.62 = 2292.40 paid by DFAS
b. 3279.22 VA Compensation (example amount) [end of example]

Ron
--------

Comments 14 May 2020

Final PayDefined Benefit that equals 2.5% times the number of years of service times the member’s final basic pay on the day of retirementPrimary retirement plan for Reserve members with initial date of entry into service prior to September 8, 1980

High-36Defined Benefit that equals 2.5% times the number of years of service times the average of the member’s highest 36 months of basic payPrimary retirement plan for members with initial date of entry into service on or after September 8, 1980, but before January 1, 2018

Your pay will be computed two ways.
1. Either FINAL PAY or HIGH THREE depending on when you entered service x DoD disability retirement percentage (ex. 60%) = Disability retired pay
and
2. Active duty equivalent years and months x 2.5% = longevity multiplier. Either FINAL PAY or HIGH THREE depending on when you entered service x longevity multiplier.
This will be used to determine your CRDP and amount of your reserve / NG retirement.

Your retired pay computed at one above will be reduced by the amount of the VA compensation received. The computation shown at item two above determines how much is given back to you as CRDP.

Ron

Hello,

I used the 60% in the example computation in March.

[from March] This addresses the disability aspect of your retirement using the example figures in the preceding post. You mentioned, "60%DOD- 100% VA".

The process by which a reserve/NG retirement would be computed using the longevity factor is shown in the preceding post.

Using the 60% DoD disability percentage you mentioned, the following would occur.

1. Example 5500 high-three x 0.60 = 3300 retired pay
2. 3300 retired pay reduced by amount of VA compensation 3,279.22 (veteran & spouse example) = 20.78 residual retired pay (i.e., left over)
3. Since you meet the age requirement for reserve retirement and also have a VA rating of 50% or more, you are eligible for CRDP. CRDP is computed as I showed for a normal reserve retirement in the preceding paragraph. The example amount of the reserve retirement (and longevity) is 2292.40.
4. 2292.40 longevity portion of retired pay minus 20.78 residual retired pay = 2271.62 CRDP
5. You would receive in this example:
a. 20.78 plus 2271.62 = 2292.40 paid by DFAS
b. 3279.22 VA Compensation (example amount) [end of example]

Ron
--------

Comments 14 May 2020

Final PayDefined Benefit that equals 2.5% times the number of years of service times the member’s final basic pay on the day of retirementPrimary retirement plan for Reserve members with initial date of entry into service prior to September 8, 1980

High-36Defined Benefit that equals 2.5% times the number of years of service times the average of the member’s highest 36 months of basic payPrimary retirement plan for members with initial date of entry into service on or after September 8, 1980, but before January 1, 2018

Your pay will be computed two ways.
1. Either FINAL PAY or HIGH THREE depending on when you entered service x DoD disability retirement percentage (ex. 60%) = Disability retired pay
and
2. Active duty equivalent years and months x 2.5% = longevity multiplier. Either FINAL PAY or HIGH THREE depending on when you entered service x longevity multiplier.
This will be used to determine your CRDP and amount of your reserve / NG retirement.

Your retired pay computed at one above will be reduced by the amount of the VA compensation received. The computation shown at item two above determines how much is given back to you as CRDP.

Ron
Thank you so much fully understood

Ron, got 20 years, one month and 3 days of AFS. They approved my COAD to 1 December. Will be going on transitional leave in a couple of weeks.
Hello,

Congrats!

Ron

Last edited:
Ron I just got this off the DFAS retired site. I don’t understand it and I’m still not sure what my DOD pay will be, help please, see below

ITEM OLD NEW
GROSS PAY 3,731.37 3,611.00
VA WAIVER 3,389.53 3,389.53
SBP COSTS 234.76 221.47
TAXABLE INCOME 120.37 .00

i don’t see anywhere what my monthly medical retire pay will be, I can Assume it will be around $3200 but not sure pls also see previous postings

Last edited:
Ron I just got this off the DFAS retired site. I don’t understand it and I’m still not sure what my DOD pay will be, help please, see below

ITEM OLD NEW
GROSS PAY 3,731.37 3,611.00
SBP COSTS 234.76 221.47

i don’t see anywhere what my monthly medical retire pay will be, I can Assume it will be around $3200 but not sure pls also see previous postings
Hello,

Based only on the information you provided today.
Gross retired pay now: 3611 This could be either disability retired pay or longevity pay. I cannot tell from the info you posted today.
VA compensation of 3389.53 reduces retired pay by same amount resulting in = 221.47 residual retired pay. All of the residual goes toward the SBP cost.
If this is from your DFAS RAS, it shows zero retired pay due.

Assuming this is a RAS, what does the statement show on page two? That is where the CRDP would be shown, only as a comment.

Please note that you were never provided a precise estimate of what your retired pay would be; I provided examples under different scenarios and used inferences in some cases.

If you would like to have a detailed computation of your pay, please proved answers/replies to every item below (a-h):
a. Current average high three base pay for retirement (OR gross retired pay from most recent DFAS RAS...indicate if this is your source) OR indicate you are under the FINAL PAY RETIREMENT PLAN
b. Your approved DoD disability percentage
c. Years and months of active duty or active duty equivalent (for reserves/NG) Non-regular is points divided by 360 = equivalent
d. VA compensation percentage, amount, categories of dependents and the ages of dependent children plus amts and types of SMCs
e. Approved CRSC percentage if applicable
f. If one qualifies for another type retirement, that information is necessary as well. Also indicate if you transitioned to the Blended Retirement System.
g. Do you have a 20 year letter?
h. Have you met the age requirement for reserve retirement?

Ron

Added, related info: CRDP-- NJOnguard <---LINK

Hi,
Ron the second page said nothing at all about CRDP I don't understand why I may not be getting my retirement. I'm thinking because I recently retired July 30, 2020 more adjustment are forth coming. Prior to my retirement I was on active duty at the WTB where I retired, the high 3's if calculate would be for an E8 with 29 yrs. of service with 5700 points

a. Current average high three base pay for retirement (OR gross retired pay from most recent DFAS RAS...indicate if this is your source) OR indicate you are under the FINAL PAY RETIREMENT PLAN

b. Your approved DoD disability percentage 60%

c. Years and months of active duty or active duty equivalent (for reserves/NG) Non-regular is points divided by 360 = equivalent 15 yrs. active time 29 yrs. national guard

d. VA compensation percentage, amount, categories of dependents and the ages of dependent children plus amts and types of SMCs: 100% Total and permanent service connected $3,389.53 SMC included in the amt, married no dependents

e. Approved CRSC percentage if applicable: No

f. If one qualifies for another type retirement, that information is necessary as well. Also indicate if you transitioned to the Blended Retirement System: Medically retired

g. Do you have a 20 year letter? :Yes

h. Have you met the age requirement for reserve retirement? :Yes CRDP qualify

Last edited:
THE COMPLETE 2 PAGES

PAY ITEM DESCRIPTION

ITEM OLD NEW

GROSS PAY
3,731.37 3,611.00

SBP COSTS 234.76 221.47

ITEM OLD NEW

NET PAY
107.08 .00

PAYMENT ADDRESS YEAR TO DATE SUMMARY (FOR INFORMATION ONLY)

TAXABLE INCOME:

FEDERAL INCOME TAX WITHHELD:

TAXES

FEDERAL WITHHOLDING STATUS:
MARRIED

TOTAL EXEMPTIONS: 00

SURVIVOR BENEFIT PLAN (SBP) COVERAGE

SBP COVERAGE TYPE: SPOUSE

SEP

CHILD DOB:

SPOUSE DOB:

ANNUITY BASE AMOUNT:

DFAS-CL 7220/148 (Rev 03-01)

ARREARS OF PAY BENEFICIARY INFORMATION

THE FOLLOWING BENEFICIARIES ARE ON RECORD:

NAME SHARE RELATIONSHIP

100.00 WIFE

MESSAGE SECTION

YOUR RETIRED PAY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN ESTABLISHED EFFECTIVE JUL 30, 2020.

OLD AMOUNTS REPRESENT RETIRED PAY DUE FROM DATE OF RETIREMENT.

YOU MAY ACCESS YOUR MILITARY RETIRED PAY ACCOUNT ONLINE USING THE myPay SYSTEM. ITS

WEB ADDRESS IS myPay Web Site.

TO USE myPay YOU MUST HAVE A PERSONAL IDENTIFICATION NUMBER (PIN).

IF YOU HAVE A myPay PIN, YOU MAY CONTINUE TO USE THE SAME PIN.

IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A myPay PIN, YOU MAY OBTAIN A PIN BY:

ACCESSING THE WEB SITE AND CLICKING "NEW PIN" ON THE HOME PAGE.

IN myPay YOU HAVE THE CAPABILITY TO

VIEW AND PRINT YOUR TAX STATEMENT (1099R),

VIEW AND PRINT YOUR RETIREE ACCOUNT STATEMENT,

CHANGE YOUR FEDERAL AND STATE TAX WITHHOLDING INFORMATION,

UPDATE YOUR DIRECT DEPOSIT AND CORRESPONDENCE ADDRESS INFORMATION,

START, STOP, OR CHANGE ALLOTMENTS PAID BY DIRECT DEPOSIT.

YOU CAN ALSO ELECT TO VIEW ONLY AN ELECTRONIC 1099-R AND/OR ANNUAL RETIREE ACCOUNT

STATEMENT THROUGH MYPAY.

Beneficiaries now have access to a more complete health record! TRICARE Online Patient

Portal (www.TRICAREOnline.com) has a new look and recently added two features.

Encounter (Open) Notes and Documents allows you to view provider notes from clinic

visits and scanned documents from external consults. You can also manage MTF appointments,

request refills, view/download Health Records and receive appointment reminders.

DFAS-CL

Last edited:
PAY ITEM DESCRIPTION
ITEM OLD NEW
GROSS PAY
3,731.37 3,611.00
SBP COSTS 234.76 221.47

ITEM OLD NEW
NET PAY
107.08 .00
TAXABLE INCOME:
FEDERAL INCOME TAX WITHHELD:

120.37 .00
Hello @NJOnguard

1. If you are under the FINAL PAY retirement plan, the high three plan does not apply. They are used only in conjunction with determining whether to use the rate of pay at time of retirement or the average of the highest three years of pay in computations. FINAL PAY IS THE Primary retirement plan for Reserve members with initial date of entry into service prior to September 8, 1980

2. The info provided by DFAS shows 3611 as your gross retired pay. If 60% was used to determine that gross, then 6018.33 would have been the high three or final pay, whichever was used. 3611/0.60 = 6018.33 base Keep in mind that for the final pay retirement plan you must have entered active duty before 8 September 1980, almost 40 years ago.

3. Based on the info available, you are not receiving CRDP. Have you applied for a RC/NG retirement? It is not automatic. In most of the cases I have seen, the reservist or NG member initially receives a medical retirement (if applicable) and years later when he/she attains the age requirement, applies for the RC retirement. Your case is different as you already meet the age requirement, at least that is my understanding.

4. My thoughts:
--DFAS might not have completed their adjustments
--CRDP will not be paid unless you have an approved RC/NG retirement in addition to the medical processing. I am not familiar with the NG timelines on such matters.
--A discussion with your Guard unit about your NG retirement application might be in order.

Ron
cc: @Guardguy11 @Sullysull48 @SFC H

Thank You Ron, given the information DFAS provided what should be my take home retirement pay??

Thank You Ron, given the information DFAS provided what should be my take home retirement pay??
Hello,

The DFAS information (provided) does not address CRDP; consequently, one cannot determine much from the info you copied and presented here...EXCEPT you are not receiving CRDP.

If fully eligible, your CRDP would be average high three or final pay, whichever applies, multiplied by the longevity multiplier.
If 60% was used to determine the gross retired pay, then 6018.33 is the base (either high three or final pay).

The longevity multiplier is the result of active duty equivalent x 2.5%.

It appears the CRDP would be 6018.33 x longevity multiplier.

Ron

Hello,

The DFAS information (provided) does not address CRDP; consequently, one cannot determine much from the info you copied and presented here...EXCEPT you are not receiving CRDP.

If fully eligible, your CRDP would be average high three or final pay, whichever applies, multiplied by the longevity multiplier.
If 60% was used to determine the gross retired pay, then 6018.33 is the base (either high three or final pay).

The longevity multiplier is the result of active duty equivalent x 2.5%.

It appears the CRDP would be 6018.33 x longevity multiplier.

Ron
Ron,
Thank you for all you guidance and very helpful knowledge, your number were !00% on point thank you, retirement application was submitted via my unit now awaiting DFAS evaluation