High Blood Pressure

builtgypsy

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
So, ever since this little fiasco began, my blood pressure has skyrocketed. 156/105 last test. I think once this is over, it'll drop like a brick. I hope. :(

I haven't been able to find any VA info on blood pressure though. Any ideas on where to look?

I was told that you have to take BP readings several times throughout the day to be able to get an accurate idea about what your real BP range is. I can't imagine having to sit at the hospital all day with the BP monitor strapped to your arm. Does the hospital give you a take-home monitor or something if you need to monitor it?

guy,
i know since my MEB started my BP has been crazy. everytime i seem 2 go 2 the navy base. mine has been high. nerves/stress i believe. when i go to my civ. PCM it's great. also pain levels can play a role in it to. if u take it when u r having a "bad day" pain wise it tends 2 be higher. i'm no doc., that's just from my personal experience.

I believe stress is one of the top reasons blood pressure is so high in many people. I think we would be amazed at the differences in blood pressure just between the working world and the retirees.

When I got to this command, they did a BP test once, and it was really high. I was in a lot of pain then, on top of being ignored about my knee. Then right after that first test they put me in a reclining massage chair and took it again. It dropped drastically.

But I also found out tonight there's a history of high blood pressure in my family. There's also a history of high-stress careers from those people in my family as well. Coincidence?

Hey boys,
I second that my new PCM recently put me on blood pressure meds. he is the first one in 3 years to say wait a second here why is this guys BP so damn high on both ends now i don't know anything about anything with BP but i know he said its been high for all almost 100 appts in the last 3 years just to PCMS he said someone should have done something sooner. Something along the lines of the "Silent Killer" but I told me look here doc im am not liein when i say im about a 7/10 on pain no stop all day everyday even with pain meds it gets me down to maybe a 5 now if i don't do anything and i lay around waiting to waste away my pain might drop to a 2-3. So with the pain and the stress of being in pain so long and so bad combined with the stress of being tired all the time because of the narcolepsy and all the stress from this F'ing board dont you think that all could be contributing he said my likely but if we dont get it taken care of it could kill you by causeing liver/kidney/every other organ failure. so..... its more important than your pain right now HA! i still function with High BP not very well in pain or falling asleep. So....

my question would be should i look into gettin that put on my board?

It should definitely be included in your MEB. The difficult part is getting an unfit finding based on this.

Built,

You need to make sure your military records show your BP readings and if possible have your PCM specifically record hypertension or borderline hypertension. I had this condition and the Army did BP tests over 5 consecutive days in order to establish a hypertension base line readings. The VA requirements for hypertension can be found under CFR38 DC 7101. The diastolic/systolic readings are quite high since the VASRD has not been updated to be in line with modern medical opinions on what constitiutes hypertension. In any case it is important to get it in your records to establish service connection even if you have a 0% VA rating as UTBAS stated it is a silent killer. The VA Clinicians Guide for C&P Exams further details how they conduct the tests. www.warms.vba.va.gov/admin21/guide/cliniciansguide.doc Hope this helps.

D

I have a note from the first visit at the hospital from the doctor who ignored my knee. She noted high BP and said I should come in on a daily basis to get it monitored. I didn't for a couple reasons, but it's at least in my record. I need to make another appointment with my PCM and try to get her instead of another resident.

At this rate the next time I have a free day it'll be the middle of May. 30 days of leave, come to me! :D

Update:

Once a week now at work while doing my weekly check-ins with medical, I'll be getting my BP monitored as well.

Some of the numbers in the past:

165/82 (approximate on the denominators of each)
145/84
154/105
139/76 with heartbeat 96 BPM.

I used to have a resting heartbeat of ~ 80 BPM, and BP was around 120/something. I believe once I'm back to exercising with the frequency and intensity I used to (big IF there) it'll drop significantly, but until then numbers that high kind of worry me.

I have no doubt that's what it is. I brought it up with the nurses and doctors who mentioned it, and they say something along the lines of you never know, best to get it checked.

I'd say that yes, in some cases we do indeed know. :D