Home Awaiting Orders

tsj12bbm

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I know the CG side of the site doesn't get alot of traffic, but hopefully someone will have something to chime in with. I'm currently going through the PDES process, my permanent relief has been ordered in and I've already been temporarily relieved by one of my BM1s. I have no duties with my unit, I literally sit at home and go in every other week to check my emails. My wife is moving to where we intend to retire in September and I've tried reading about Home Awaiting Orders, that's about clear as mud. From what I understand, you can't request that until after you have an unfit finding. The Sector Commander supports me leaving, they've said whatever I need, I'm just trying to figure out who to talk to or what method to request Home Awaiting Orders. I signed my NARSUM in April, they put out a critical fill in April, my BM1 signed his relief letter in mid-June and I haven't done anything since except therapy. The Doc was waiting on the report from the VA since I had go to them for a Mental Health confirmation since we don't have military BH near us and that ended up being a big SNAFU. They finally have it and are submitting it to DC so am I just supposed to sit here, away from my wife, getting paid to do nothing for a year or more?
Any insight anyone has I appreciate it. I've never dealt with the PDES process and while the CG Doc is helpful, I haven't gotten any hard insight into the process, wait times, etc.
Thanks

I know the CG side of the site doesn't get alot of traffic, but hopefully someone will have something to chime in with. I'm currently going through the PDES process, my permanent relief has been ordered in and I've already been temporarily relieved by one of my BM1s. I have no duties with my unit, I literally sit at home and go in every other week to check my emails. My wife is moving to where we intend to retire in September and I've tried reading about Home Awaiting Orders, that's about clear as mud. From what I understand, you can't request that until after you have an unfit finding. The Sector Commander supports me leaving, they've said whatever I need, I'm just trying to figure out who to talk to or what method to request Home Awaiting Orders. I signed my NARSUM in April, they put out a critical fill in April, my BM1 signed his relief letter in mid-June and I haven't done anything since except therapy. The Doc was waiting on the report from the VA since I had go to them for a Mental Health confirmation since we don't have military BH near us and that ended up being a big SNAFU. They finally have it and are submitting it to DC so am I just supposed to sit here, away from my wife, getting paid to do nothing for a year or more?
Any insight anyone has I appreciate it. I've never dealt with the PDES process and while the CG Doc is helpful, I haven't gotten any hard insight into the process, wait times, etc.
Thanks

Sorry to hear you're having to go through this process. HOA does require a member to accept their findings before the request can go to EPM. The instruction is pretty vague, but from what I was told by PSC-de, a strong Command endorsement is needed for EPM to approve the request. I'll be putting in for HOA as well, just waiting for my findings to come back (MEB signed/checked in with PSC-de in Dec 2012). The only other thing I could think of is putting in for a hardship transfer while waiting for your findings if your spouse is moving to an area that has CG. EPM doesn't normally PCS members going through this process, but I've heard of cases where it's happened due to extenuating circumstances. Worth a shot, the worst they can do is say no. Good luck to you.

Thanks for the input. I drafted a memo to PSC-EPM through my Sector requesting HAOS. There really isn't alot in the Assignment manual and not much more in the Separations manual so I just drafted a memo explaining the parts that I meet and requesting an exception to policy for the "guaranteed separation" provision with some pretty sound reasons for it. It's a somewhat unique situation since I'm more than reasonable commuting distance from another unit, my relief has been completed, the Sector doesn't want me there since my relief is aboard and I can only work part-tiime anyways. I also put that if my request was denied then I request admin assignment to a Recruiting Office near where my wife is moving. Now, it's just the waiting game to see how long EPM takes and what they say. All they can say is no.

Thanks for the input. I drafted a memo to PSC-EPM through my Sector requesting HAOS. There really isn't alot in the Assignment manual and not much more in the Separations manual so I just drafted a memo explaining the parts that I meet and requesting an exception to policy for the "guaranteed separation" provision with some pretty sound reasons for it. It's a somewhat unique situation since I'm more than reasonable commuting distance from another unit, my relief has been completed, the Sector doesn't want me there since my relief is aboard and I can only work part-tiime anyways. I also put that if my request was denied then I request admin assignment to a Recruiting Office near where my wife is moving. Now, it's just the waiting game to see how long EPM takes and what they say. All they can say is no.

Sounds like you have a good handle on the situation, let us know if it gets approved and I'll do the same. If I get favorable findings next week, I plan to accept immediately and submit the HAO request shortly after. I'm busting out pre-sep counseling, TAPS, and sep physical in the meantime and my replacement has already reported in as well.

So I submitted this to my Sector in early August. They didn't submit it to PSC until September 11th. Tomorrow hits one month since PSC received it and 2 months since I submitted and I haven't heard a word about it either way. The only way I found out that it wasn't even sent to PSC was when I contacted my unit to see if they could ask or if I should get the Silver Badge to do that GB/SB voodoo that they do, that they had the day before been asked to sign it again so the Sector could send it out. This is beyond unsat. 2 months and still no reply.
I've searched everywhere, but can't find it. Isn't there some Business Practices Publication or something that was put out deal with timelines to respond to Memos? All could find was response practices for inquires from Congress.
Which unfortunately is what they're going to have to deal with next. I've leaned away from it because I believe that normally people in the Coast Guard do the right thing and that I should keep things in house, but this 35 year old BMC's Mom is getting pissed, as funny as that sounds. She is friends with a Senior Staffer to one of our Senators and he has offered to have a RFI drawn for the Senator's signature and I've talked her out of it, but she had a 1 more month attitude when I moved my wife back home.
This whole thing really is surreal. I feel like I'm on house arrest. I don't work, but I can't move to be with my wife. I haven't worn a uniform in almost a year. My only contact with the station is my weekly phone call to the new OIC and my only social interaction with others is Dr appointments and therapy sessions, which isn't exactly healthy. Just seems stupid when I have an entire support network secured in Central Texas, even have referrals from my current Doctors to people they know so I'll have continuity of care, my family is near there, my wife is there, and almost as important my two labs are there, but I'm forced to sit in this soon-to-be cold and barren tundra.
Turned into a rant, but needed to spew a little bit. Main question, anyone know of an instruction or policy requiring them to acknowledge and/or respond to a memo request?

Sorry to hear about your delays. The only thing I can think is that they aren't even looking at your request since you haven't accepted your unfit findings. My HAOS request was submitted on 30SEP and I contacted the separations office directly to find out how long it normally takes for a decision. The YN1 there indicated that once received, it takes up to 3 weeks for a decision. I would skip all the b.s. and contact them directly and get your answer straight from the source. You can find all the separations contacts on the EPM-1 site, or send me a pm and I can give you a couple phone numbers/e-mail addresses.

Thanks, I'll look them up and give them a call. At this point, it's not so much whether they approve it or not, but at least say we've got and we're hanging on to it until you accept your findings.

Thanks, I'll look them up and give them a call. At this point, it's not so much whether they approve it or not, but at least say we've got and we're hanging on to it until you accept your findings.

Any luck with EPM?

Nothing yet, I talked to someone at PSC-adm and they were going to look into it.
I did get a call from the CG Clinic that they needed records by next week for the past 2 months since my MEB was checked in, so I'm hoping that means something.

Did they say why? How did you find out? Is this going to interfere with the job you have lined up?

I just found out yesterday that there was a delay with them getting my request. My Sector routed it through the District causing even more delay, but after hearing you got denied, I'm not very hopeful.

It was a very short memo indicating the request was disapproved, but no reason given. Mentioned that my case is currently going through the legal review process and once that's complete EPM will issue the separation authorization (orders). The ombusdsman at PSD-de did tell me that EPM usually only approves 5% of all requests, so the deck was stacked against me from the onset.