Honorable discharge change to medically retired

Robert.B

Registered Member
I have question in regard to changing my honorable discharge to medically retired. I’m not even sure if this is possible, but as the main reason I left the army was for medical reasons I believe that it’s worth a shot. I currently receive 70% rating from the VA from service connected injuries dating from 2008 to 2012 in Iraq. My back and knees are only getting worse with age and working is becoming less of a option at this point. So to the point of my question, is something like this possible if so Is there a form I fill out or do I need to get a lawyer? Are you able to pull medical retirement pay and VA disability if VA is at 100%?

Thank you for any Insight on this matter.

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
DoD will not retire you based on conditions that have gotten worse since you retired (generally speaking). However if you can prove your conditions were unfitting at the time of discharge and warranted a 30% or higher rating then you can file with BCMR to adjust your separation status. It is a long process.

An attorney is not required, but may be desirable.

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
You need to 30% for an unfitting condition, not just 30%. You can check the resource section of this website for a list of unfitting conditions in your branch of the service.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">