Hotel in San Antonio need advice

Busyarmymom

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Ok - I know this sounds silly, but which hotel do most people suggest when they go to Formal Hearing?

I will not have a rental car, but I will have TDY for TAXI. I need a hotel with breakfast, and since the formal board is so freaking early, I need one possibly close to base. I have a very hard time moving in the mornings, so this is going to be a huge challenge just getting up for the board on time. :-( I would also like a microwave and refrigerator in my room (for little drinks and snacks).

Some people have told me to stay near the airport, but that is so far away from everything. I will be going to base at least three times, and while I am down there, I would like to go downtown at least once and have dinner, and the Taxi will be very high that far.

Please, I need some of your best answers right away. For those who have been down there, please help.

Thank you!!! :)

have you tried contacting the hotel on base to see if they have rooms, i know there is one?

I would push to stay on base, the area around base is atrocious and riddles with very bad crime., several drive by's along military parkway, even hitting the guard shacks etc. Furthermore if your concerned about pushing time, the traffic onto base in the am at the main through fairs is horrible at the normal hours.

Not sure where your hearing is, but the base shuttle service last time I was there, was very good. Additionally the rooms you would be staying in (gateway inn) are either right by the mini bx or right by willford hall medical center. Down town is ok, they keep the riverwalk area safe and clean ish, but it is a lot of walking, unless you know exactly where you want to go. You will want to make your way off base for breakfast once or twice for breakfast taco's, I suggest bacon potato egg and cheese.

If you must stay off base, the only hotel in a mile proxiemty of the base(that i'd recommend) is going to be the la-quinta on military. It is right behind a denny's and a taco cabana. I really hate to bash on the area, but anyone who lives there, if not on base, live at least 10-15 miles away outside the loop. If there is anyway you could afford it, I would recommend a rental car, lackland and the SA area is huge, even getting around base can be taxing without a car, the shuttle is good, but not 100%

I would push to stay on base, the area around base is atrocious and riddles with very bad crime., several drive by's along military parkway, even hitting the guard shacks etc. Furthermore if your concerned about pushing time, the traffic onto base in the am at the main through fairs is horrible at the normal hours.

Not sure where your hearing is, but the base shuttle service last time I was there, was very good. Additionally the rooms you would be staying in (gateway inn) are either right by the mini bx or right by willford hall medical center. Down town is ok, they keep the riverwalk area safe and clean ish, but it is a lot of walking, unless you know exactly where you want to go. You will want to make your way off base for breakfast once or twice for breakfast taco's, I suggest bacon potato egg and cheese.

If you must stay off base, the only hotel in a mile proxiemty of the base(that i'd recommend) is going to be the la-quinta on military. It is right behind a denny's and a taco cabana. I really hate to bash on the area, but anyone who lives there, if not on base, live at least 10-15 miles away outside the loop. If there is anyway you could afford it, I would recommend a rental car, lackland and the SA area is huge, even getting around base can be taxing without a car, the shuttle is good, but not 100%

I wish I could rent a car. I can't tell you how much the idea of the pain, and anxiety of driving around there will make me. I want to be comfortable, but I also know that if I try to find myself around there, I will be in tears every single day. This is freaking insane that they don't have just one area for med board Soldiers without families, and have a clear and concise plan for those who need additional help.

I had my car and we stayed at the La Quinta on military. It was clean and we didn't experience any problems. We walked around the area and didn't have any issues either. The area does look bad. I would have preferred to stay on base but my mommy made me take my sister with me. Sure I was able to go to war but not Texas by myself.

Thank you everyone. :) I finally found one. I decided to stay at the Country Inn and Suites by the airport. I hate that it is so far away from post, but they are friendly, and have everything I was looking for.

Now, just to get down there.

Most folks are confused and don't realize the question is for the Army board at Ft. Sam.

Busyarmymom, the airport is actually pretty close to Ft. Sam. Maybe 5-10 minutes depending on traffic (though, recall that if you are going in the morning, the gate is very often a source of delay).

If you wanted to, you could probably cancel your reservation and rebook with LaQuinta. There are several near Ft. Sam, and one of those is much closer to downtown. I have never stayed at the Country Inn and Suites, so, I don't mean to discourage you from them....just know that if you want to be closer to downtown/Riverwalk, there are other options.

lol great catch jason, egg on face :)

Still everything I said about military between lackland sides applies to ft sam area. :)

Most folks are confused and don't realize the question is for the Army board at Ft. Sam.

Busyarmymom, the airport is actually pretty close to Ft. Sam. Maybe 5-10 minutes depending on traffic (though, recall that if you are going in the morning, the gate is very often a source of delay).

If you wanted to, you could probably cancel your reservation and rebook with LaQuinta. There are several near Ft. Sam, and one of those is much closer to downtown. I have never stayed at the Country Inn and Suites, so, I don't mean to discourage you from them....just know that if you want to be closer to downtown/Riverwalk, there are other options.

Thank you so much. That is my fault, I made the assumption that everyone would know why I was going down there. I have only been there once, and it was back in 1995, and only overnight. So, unfortunately those memories are very distant.

I will look at the La Quinta tomorrow for sure. Yes, I would like to see the river walk one more time, and eat dinner somewhere down there in a nice environment.

Thank you for your recommendations.

I had my car and we stayed at the La Quinta on military. It was clean and we didn't experience any problems. We walked around the area and didn't have any issues either. The area does look bad. I would have preferred to stay on base but my mommy made me take my sister with me. Sure I was able to go to war but not Texas by myself.

LOL I got a real kick out of this. :)

If you are going on orders, all the downtown/riverwalk hotels will give you the Gov/Military per diem rate. I would highly recommend it over staying near Ft. Sam, as long as the taxi expenses are covered. My family really likes the Drury suites (there are 2, I am talking about the one that used to be Alamo National Bank). Good breakfast and dinner bar each night included, unbelievable 22nd floor roof top pool, access the riverwalk from the hotel.

If you are going on orders, all the downtown/riverwalk hotels will give you the Gov/Military per diem rate. I would highly recommend it over staying near Ft. Sam, as long as the taxi expenses are covered. My family really likes the Drury suites (there are 2, I am talking about the one that used to be Alamo National Bank). Good breakfast and dinner bar each night included, unbelievable 22nd floor roof top pool, access the riverwalk from the hotel.

WOW You have my attention! I like the idea that dinner is also included. I am going to have a hard time getting around (due to illness) and with breakfast and dinner served, that will be awesome. Having dinner served right there, will actually save the Army money in Taxi fees. Because If I don't have to get out too much, I won't. Thank you!

lol great catch jason, egg on face :)

Still everything I said about military between lackland sides applies to ft sam area. :)

Was going to just agree with your post, but then I thought I would remind folks, they now do the AF Formals at Randolph. (As for me, I prefer the North Side of San Antonio).

WOW You have my attention! I like the idea that dinner is also included. I am going to have a hard time getting around (due to illness) and with breakfast and dinner served, that will be awesome. Having dinner served right there, will actually save the Army money in Taxi fees. Because If I don't have to get out too much, I won't. Thank you!

Dear Busyarmymom:

I'm pulling for you and want to know how this all turns out for you.

I stayed in SA this past SEP, but not for military reasons.

I stayed in the Riverwalk area in an historically registered hotel (history is a thing for me, so this was right up my alley).

Keep us posted as to what works best for you.

I found a new website for discount hotel rates called Room 77. Didn't book thru them, but used their posted rates and got a screaming deal of a rate from the hotel manager when I called them direct with this info.

Just saying it is possible to get a 4-5 star stay (with all the perks) at a 3-star price.

Please keep us posted as to what your board experience is like and it's outcome, too.

God bless and best of all the luck possible!

V/R,
nwlivewire

Ok - I know this sounds silly, but which hotel do most people suggest when they go to Formal Hearing?

I will not have a rental car, but I will have TDY for TAXI. I need a hotel with breakfast, and since the formal board is so freaking early, I need one possibly close to base. I have a very hard time moving in the mornings, so this is going to be a huge challenge just getting up for the board on time. :-( I would also like a microwave and refrigerator in my room (for little drinks and snacks).

Some people have told me to stay near the airport, but that is so far away from everything. I will be going to base at least three times, and while I am down there, I would like to go downtown at least once and have dinner, and the Taxi will be very high that far.

Please, I need some of your best answers right away. For those who have been down there, please help.

Thank you!!! :)

Indeed, I wish you safe travels and a favorable outcome at your FPEB hearing! :)

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

I didn't end up going. My stuff is so messed up, I am to the point where I just don't care what they do at this point. The problem is, no one else at this place really cares either. I can't find one person who is really responsible for anything that happens to Soldiers. I really can't.

Yes, I have tried everyone, and every office I can think of. I am tired, sick, and in pain. This process sucks so badly.

I didn't end up going. My stuff is so messed up, I am to the point where I just don't care what they do at this point. The problem is, no one else at this place really cares either. I can't find one person who is really responsible for anything that happens to Soldiers. I really can't.

Yes, I have tried everyone, and every office I can think of. I am tired, sick, and in pain. This process sucks so badly.

If anything, it is good to see you back on here. I was wondering where you went to as I haven't seen you post in a while. Please just hang in there, and fight through this. We will help where we can.

Joe

Sorry to hear about this development. Sounds like you are really frustrated right now (which is understandable). Is there any issue or problem that we can help with?

Indeed, it continues to sadden me to hear that your current situation isn't getting the proper attention!

Nonetheless, please try to remain positively proactive at this point in time; yes, we know it's a challenge but you can definitely do it for sure!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

I know the feeling! The process really does suck And although it feels as no one is really "assisting" their are others who are/have/will be in your boots!
I was given a PEB Formal in DC (Navy); coming from FT Sam I felt the same way....Anxious, worried but over all Just lost! Believe me it wasn't easy but I made the flight and got a hotel within walking distance. All with research I did and talking to some people who knew the area. But then I froze when the time came for me to fight for my case and the assigned lawyer I had wasn't fully in it for me. And so here I sit 2 years later kicking myself still but Fighting to the extent. Waiting on BCNR response.

I implore you to FIGHT now to Have your Case Heard correctly. Make the Board feel what you feel. Do not freeze like I did.

Write down the issues at hand, like you have written for other Soliders....Everything from the hair on the heads to the bottom of their toe nails. This is your time make it count!

Are you able to get another date scheduled? If so go for it or try doing a Call in. I was offered the opportunity to basically Skype with my formal but I preferred face to face.