How do I calculate my CRSC--Post New Requests at the CRSC Forum of This Board

Status
Not open for further replies.
mcbussard,

[see post # 280]

If you want an estimate of your CRSC entitlement...

The information associated with all of the six numbered items below is needed. Incomplete answers will preclude an accurate estimate. Each numbered item below is a factor in the CRSC calculation.

1. High three base pay average for retirement or your current DoD disability retirement gross found on page one of the DFAS RAS. Please indicate whether you are providing the high three average or the retirement gross found on the DFAS RAS. The high-36 method is the average of the highest 36 months of basic pay divided by 36. This is generally the last 3 years of service and is sometimes called high-3. EXAMPLE: High three average $3333 (or alternative: Gross Retired Pay on DFAS RAS $xxxx.xx) The gross retired pay from your DFAS RAS is preferred since it presents a gross high three that include any COLA increases.

2. DoD disability retirement percentage. EXAMPLE: 50% DoD

3. Years and months of active duty EXAMPLE: 11 years and 3 months
Note: The creditable years of service (active duty equivalent) for a reserve calculation is determined by the sum of accumulated reserve points divided by 360.

4. VA compensation:
-- percentage
and
--amount
plus
--identify dependents by category and number EXAMPLE: 60% VA Compensation, $1600, Spouse and 6 children under 18
and
---Any SMCs awarded and amount(s)

5. Approved or expected combat related disability percentage (application was required). EXAMPLE: 70% CRSC

6. Do you qualify for another type retirement besides CH 61 disability? Example: Yes, REDUX

Note: All the info listed above is necessary Often, the reply omits much of the needed info, precluding an accurate computation.

Ron

I hope this is correct

1. $3874
2. 40% DOD
3. 13y 3m
4. 100% VA $3700; spouse+4 children
5. 90% CRSC
6. No/Medical retirement

I hope this is correct

1. $3874
2. 40% DOD
3. 13y 3m
4. 100% VA $3700; spouse+4 children
5. 90% CRSC
6. No/Medical retirement
Hi,

Foreword: Unfortunately, if your info is not correct, then neither will the estimate.

--You did not tell me whether the 3874 is high three or gross retired pay on your RAS. I assume it is high three.
3874 x 0.40 = 1549.60 retired pay (gross)
--All the retired pay is waived since VA compensation is more than 3000
--13.25 years AD x 0.025 = 33.13% multiplier
--3874 x 0.3313 = 1283.46 longevity portion of retired pay
--CRSC @ 90% = more than 2000

CRSC payable based on the info you provided: 1283.46

Regards,
Ron

mcbussard,

[see post # 280]

The information associated with all of the six numbered items below is needed. Incomplete answers will preclude an accurate estimate. Each numbered item below is a factor in the CRSC calculation.

1. High three base pay average for retirement or your current DoD disability retirement gross found on page one of the DFAS RAS. Please indicate whether you are providing the high three average or the retirement gross found on the DFAS RAS. The high-36 method is the average of the highest 36 months of basic pay divided by 36. This is generally the last 3 years of service and is sometimes called high-3. EXAMPLE: High three average $3333 (or alternative: Gross Retired Pay on DFAS RAS $xxxx.xx) The gross retired pay from your DFAS RAS is preferred since it presents a gross high three that include any COLA increases.

Note: The creditable years of service (active duty equivalent) for a reserve calculation is determined by the sum of accumulated reserve points divided by 360.

4. VA compensation:
-- percentage
and
--amount
plus
--identify dependents by category and number EXAMPLE: 60% VA Compensation, $1600, Spouse and 6 children under 18
and

5. Approved or expected combat related disability percentage (application was required). EXAMPLE: 70% CRSC

6. Do you qualify for another type retirement besides CH 61 disability? Example: Yes, REDUX

Note: All the info listed above is necessary Often, the reply omits much of the needed info, precluding an accurate computation.

Ron

OK I got the correct info

1. $1401 DoD RAS
2. 40% DOD
3. 13y 3m
4. 100% $3700; spouse+4 children
5. 90% CRSC
6. Medical retirement

mcbussard,

[see post # 280]

4. VA compensation:
-- percentage
and
--amount
plus
and

Ron

1. $1401 RAS
2. 40% DOD
3. 13y 3m
5. 90% CRSC
6. Medical retirement

1. $1401 RAS
2. 40% DOD
3. 13y 3m
5. 90% CRSC
6. Medical retirement

Revised estimate based on corrected info by Jkenn17:

--1401 RAS gross/ 0.40 = 3502.50 high 3
--All the retired pay (1401) is waived since VA compensation is more than 3000
--13.25 years AD x 0.025 = 33.13% multiplier
--3502.50 x 0.3313 = 1160.38 longevity portion of retired pay
--CRSC @ 90% = more than 2000

CRSC payable based on the info you provided: 1160.38

Good luck,
Ron

Hi Ron,

Attempting to figure out if it's even worth it for me to apply, as I'm unsure if even 100% approval will increase my overall pay. Thank you very much for your help in advance!

$5,063 (RAS)
68.75%
100%/$3,228/Spouse
Expected 80%-100% CRSC
No

Hi Ron,

Attempting to figure out if it's even worth it for me to apply, as I'm unsure if even 100% approval will increase my overall pay. Thank you very much for your help in advance!

$5,063 (RAS)
68.75%
100%/$3,228/Spouse
Expected 80%-100% CRSC
No

Hello,

First, some clarification.
1. Are you a Chapter 61 (disability) retiree? I ask because your second line (68.75%) is not a standard approved disability percentage.
2. Re: 68.75% How was this determined? If you are a CH 61 retiree, the disability percentage is needed.
3. 100%/$3228/spouse (OK $3,227.58 )
4. 80-100% CRSC...OK
5. No = not qualified for another retirement other than medical. Is my inference correct?
6. If you are a medical retiree, your active duty years and months will be needed. You might have already done the math for that part of the formula @ item 2.
7. Finally, IF you have a regular retirement, all you need is to review the VA comp tables and look at the rates for 80-100% with spouse...that would be your CRSC, not to excced the amount of waived retired pay. My VA comp is ~3500 and my retired pay was 2800. I receive 2800 CRSC. If my retired pay was 4000, I would receive 3500 CRSC (the waiver) and 500 residual retired pay.

I apologize for having to ask these questions. I've posted what is needed dozens of times, but somewhere in this thread the replies became truncated and do not always capture the full info needed.

I will be in and out of this forum all day. I will give you an answer upon receipt of the clarification.

Regards,
Ron

[Excerpt]
Hi Ron,

[see 2nd reply below]
The following or a version of the following is what is usually requested.

1. High three base pay average for retirement or your current DoD disability retirement gross found on page one of the DFAS RAS. The gross retired pay from your DFAS RAS is preferred since it presents a gross high three that include any COLA increases. Please indicate whether you are providing the high three average or the retirement gross found on the DFAS RAS. The high-36 method is the average of the highest 36 months of basic pay divided by 36. This is generally the last 3 years of service and is sometimes called high-3. EXAMPLE: High three average $3333 (or alternative: Gross Retired Pay on DFAS RAS $xxxx.xx) The gross retired pay from your DFAS RAS is preferred since it presents a gross high three that include any COLA increases.

4. VA compensation:
-- percentage
and
--amount
plus
and

Ron

NOTE: In your case, replies to my initial questions will suffice. Thanks...

Hello,

First, some clarification.
1. Are you a Chapter 61 (disability) retiree? I ask because your second line (68.75%) is not a standard approved disability percentage.
2. Re: 68.75% How was this determined? If you are a CH 61 retiree, the disability percentage is needed.
3. 100%/$3228/spouse (OK $3,227.58 )
4. 80-100% CRSC...OK
5. No = not qualified for another retirement other than medical. Is my inference correct?
6. If you are a medical retiree, your active duty years and months will be needed. You might have already done the math for that part of the formula @ item 2.
7. Finally, IF you have a regular retirement, all you need is to review the VA comp tables and look at the rates for 80-100% with spouse...that would be your CRSC, not to excced the amount of waived retired pay. My VA comp is ~3500 and my retired pay was 2800. I receive 2800 CRSC. If my retired pay was 4000, I would receive 3500 CRSC (the waiver) and 500 residual retired pay.

I apologize for having to ask these questions. I've posted what is needed dozens of times, but somewhere in this thread the replies became truncated and do not always capture the full info needed.

I will be in and out of this forum all day. I will give you an answer upon receipt of the clarification.

Regards,
Ron

Sorry. Just came across this forum last night after work and didn't spend a lot of time reading through it. My apologies.

I'm a regular retiree who got 100% VA disability designation after I retired. I did some quick math in my head to try and estimate my retirement percentage, hence the 68.75% number. I retired after 27 and 7 months of active service.

Since I have regular retirement, I guess I just need to review the VA comp tables as you mentioned. Since I'm at $5,063 for retirement, and my VA is $3,227, at 100% CRSC I'd receive the $3,227 CRSC, and $1,836 residual pay. I'd still receive my $3,227 from the VA, so that along with the $3,227 in CRSC and $1,836 in residual pay would account for a gross of $99,480 in total pay per year, of which only $22k (residual pay) would taxable. Whereas now $60,756 ($5,063 RAS x 12) is taxable. Correct?

Sorry. Just came across this forum last night after work and didn't spend a lot of time reading through it. My apologies.

I'm a regular retiree who got 100% VA disability designation after I retired. I did some quick math in my head to try and estimate my retirement percentage, hence the 68.75% number. I retired after 27 and 7 months of active service.

Since I have regular retirement, I guess I just need to review the VA comp tables as you mentioned. Since I'm at $5,063 for retirement, and my VA is $3,227, at 100% CRSC I'd receive the $3,227 CRSC, and $1,836 residual pay. I'd still receive my $3,227 from the VA, so that along with the $3,227 in CRSC and $1,836 in residual pay would account for a gross of $99,480 in total pay per year, of which only $22k (residual pay) would taxable. Whereas now $60,756 ($5,063 RAS x 12) is taxable. Correct?
Hi,

I've seen many more "regular retirement" CRSC cases than disability. Your question is welcome here.

Your analysis: Perfect.

Ron

Good evening,

I just receive a letter saying I am suppose to receive 60% of CRSC around June 26 with backdate to march 19. I contact DFAS so I can get a estimate, they told me they can't tell me.

I have been medical retired since February 23, 2019

I have 50% from DOD
I was in the service for 18 year an 4 month and 15 days
I have 100% disability from the VA and SMC K
I receive the letter saying 60% from the CRSC.
I have a wife and 5 kids under 18

If you can please help me to get a estimate because, because this good me nervous been unknown. Thank you.

Good evening,

I just receive a letter saying I am suppose to receive 60% of CRSC around June 26 with backdate to march 19. I contact DFAS so I can get a estimate, they told me they can't tell me.

I have been medical retired since February 23, 2019

I have 50% from DOD
I was in the service for 18 year an 4 month and 15 days
I have 100% disability from the VA and SMC K
I receive the letter saying 60% from the CRSC.
I have a wife and 5 kids under 18

If you can please help me to get a estimate because, because this good me nervous been unknown. Thank you.
Hello,

CRSC Estimate

1. High three base pay average for retirement or your current DoD disability retirement gross found on page one of the DFAS RAS. The gross retired pay from your DFAS RAS is preferred since it presents a gross high three that include any COLA increases. Please indicate whether you are providing the high three average or the retirement gross found on the DFAS RAS. The high-36 method is the average of the highest 36 months of basic pay divided by 36. This is generally the last 3 years of service and is sometimes called high-3. EXAMPLE: High three average $3333 (or alternative: Gross Retired Pay on DFAS RAS $xxxx.xx)

4. VA compensation:
-- percentage
and
--amount
plus
and

5. Approved or expected combat related disability percentage (application was required). EXAMPLE: 70% CRSC approved

6. Do you qualify for another type retirement besides CH 61 disability? EXAMPLE: Yes, Reserve Retirement

Ron

Hello,

CRSC Estimate

1. High three base pay average for retirement or your current DoD disability retirement gross found on page one of the DFAS RAS. The gross retired pay from your DFAS RAS is preferred since it presents a gross high three that include any COLA increases. Please indicate whether you are providing the high three average or the retirement gross found on the DFAS RAS. The high-36 method is the average of the highest 36 months of basic pay divided by 36. This is generally the last 3 years of service and is sometimes called high-3. EXAMPLE: High three average $3333 (or alternative: Gross Retired Pay on DFAS RAS $xxxx.xx)

4. VA compensation:
-- percentage
and
--amount
plus
and

5. Approved or expected combat related disability percentage (application was required). EXAMPLE: 70% CRSC approved

6. Do you qualify for another type retirement besides CH 61 disability? EXAMPLE: Yes, Reserve Retirement

Ron

1. The high 3 ($3872)but for the longevity at $1762 for the 18 yrs 4 moth.
2. I was approve for 50% DOD in my medical retirements, with is $1923.
3. I have 18 years and 4 month and 15 days of active duty
4. I receive 100% VA with is $3799.00 with include SMC-K with is $108.57 I have a wife and 5 kids that are under 18 years.
5. Approved 60% CRSC
6. I dont qualify for any other retirement.

1. The high 3 ($3872)but for the longevity at $1762 for the 18 yrs 4 moth.
2. I was approve for 50% DOD in my medical retirements, with is $1923.
3. I have 18 years and 4 month and 15 days of active duty
4. I receive 100% VA with is $3799.00 with include SMC-K with is $108.57 I have a wife and 5 kids that are under 18 years.
5. Approved 60% CRSC
6. I dont qualify for any other retirement.
Thanks...Excellent reply.

A. 3872 x 50% = 1936 DoD retirement (close to the 1923 you cited)
B. 18.333 yrs AD x 2.5% = 45.83% multiplier for longevity
C. 3872 x 45.83% = 1774.54 longevity portion of retirement
D. 1936 DoD retirement reduced by 3799.00 VA comp = zero retired pay remaining
E. 60% CRSC (spouse and 5c under 18) = $1,290.86 + (4 x 50) = $1490.86

Your CRSC approved by service is 1490.86 which is less than the longevity ceiling of 1774.54. CRSC payable for one month = $1490.86

Ron

Thread closed. Original questions were answered long ago.

New CRSC questions and threads can be posted at Path for CRSC Forum: LINK <----

New thread in that forum:
Click on the red POST THREAD button (upper right of page).

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.