How long does the VA take to make a decision?

natedog75

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
So my unfit letter was recieved 12 march 2014 and still waiting on the VA ( Seattle) to come up with a decesion for the 199. This past June, my commander gave this letter from the same VA wanting a laundry list of things from me for the " gathering of evidence" some of which was old medical records from when I was in the Guard/ Reserves. I sent everything I could by fax as requested and the suspense for all of this was 27 June, it's now 15 July! I've called the VA numerous times and each time the answers I get for the status of the claim is getting more ludicrous. For example the gentelman I talked to yesterday told me they couldn't proceed with the percentages finding until I give them my DD214? I explained that I don't get that until they come up with the percentages/ 199 so I can sign off and sign out, needless to say I feel hopeless. I'm now 49days behind schedule, 4 months waiting since unfit letter and all my friends are getting there 199 back at their three month mark! Can anyone please give me some imput, I have only two claims ( lower back - degenerative disk/ adjustment disorder) not trying to get rich, just trying to get my freedom back

So my unfit letter was recieved 12 march 2014 and still waiting on the VA ( Seattle) to come up with a decesion for the 199. This past June, my commander gave this letter from the same VA wanting a laundry list of things from me for the " gathering of evidence" some of which was old medical records from when I was in the Guard/ Reserves. I sent everything I could by fax as requested and the suspense for all of this was 27 June, it's now 15 July! I've called the VA numerous times and each time the answers I get for the status of the claim is getting more ludicrous. For example the gentelman I talked to yesterday told me they couldn't proceed with the percentages finding until I give them my DD214? I explained that I don't get that until they come up with the percentages/ 199 so I can sign off and sign out, needless to say I feel hopeless. I'm now 49days behind schedule, 4 months waiting since unfit letter and all my friends are getting there 199 back at their three month mark! Can anyone please give me some imput, I have only two claims ( lower back - degenerative disk/ adjustment disorder) not trying to get rich, just trying to get my freedom back

Your wasting your time contacting the 1800 number unless you speak to a rep that understand that you are active duty going through IDES! Wait times for ratings can vary, yes your fellow soldiers may have received rating back with 3 months, but that doesn't mean that you will also. if you lurk around this forum you will see that some have been waiting over 150 days

Your wasting your time contacting the 1800 number unless you speak to a rep that understand that you are active duty going through IDES! Wait times for ratings can vary, yes your fellow soldiers may have received rating back with 3 months, but that doesn't mean that you will also. if you lurk around this forum you will see that some have been waiting over 150 days
Unfortunatley the more I lurk around this forem the more hopeless I get, sounds like I need to book a flight to seattle and show my face to get a answer, feels like my packet is sitting on someone's desk

Unfortunately flying up to Seattle will not accomplish anything. You'll just have to wait it out.

I know patience is always been on my side but honestly if the VA gave the suspense for information for 27 June then honestly how much longer do they need to make that decision. They want medical records from my reserve time that doesn't support any of my claims that occured during/ presently active duty

They sometimes request records to make sure its not preexisting. To go to your original question - it will not take long to actually rate your claim. Mine was probably rated in less than an afternoon. However, it sat in a pile for seven months or so until the rater got to it. That, unfortunately, is why we all wait - not because its so terribly complex that it requires months of effort, but because we are number 29784 and they are working on number 3 (sarcasm alert). Hang in there, it will come. Good luck...Bob

Unfortunatley the more I lurk around this forem the more hopeless I get, sounds like I need to book a flight to seattle and show my face to get a answer, feels like my packet is sitting on someone's desk
wouldn't say its just sitting on someone desk but I'm sure there is a huge number of claims that are in front of yours

I agree that there are, I guess watching other MEB's getting there 199 and orders/ clearing papers can be a little disappointing when your own unfit letter came back first before theirs.

I agree that there are, I guess watching other MEB's getting there 199 and orders/ clearing papers can be a little disappointing when your own unfit letter came back first before theirs.

Indeed, it may sometime seem highly unusually the way the DoVA D-RAS and the DoD IDES PEB adjudicates their case loads, but at the end of the day everybody shall eventually receive some kind of response from either organization within the DoD IDES process! :confused:

To that extent in my opinion, whether it's a favorable decision or not so favorable decision are the only real important questions to a DoD IDES participant's expectation(s) at that point in time! ;)

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

Good News .... it's monday morning and just checked the e benefits site, status has changed to preparation for decision. I just got off the phone with Peblo, says it could possibly take another 2 to 3 weeks based on army average time. I have read some of the threads that once the va's decision goes back to PEB that it doesn't generally take that long but with my lack of luck lately who knows.

Nevermind, false alarm ... my status site is now back to saying gathering of evidence. I don't feel like calling them and getting some lame duck rep. My stay positive meter just went from a 10 back to 0. I mean I know what I saw this morning on the same site and now all of a sudden it's back to what it was.

My claim went to the VA 12 February and I was sent a letter to submit evidence on claims that were previosly denied ( I added them to my new claim as I am a reservist going through MEB) in May. I submitted the evidence and a few weeks later they sent parts of my claim for review at "Pugert Sounds" its a VA review I guess (it then went to gathering of evidence). That took about 2 weeks. My claim was completed 2 July. Its been almost 3 weeks and I still have not received a DA 199. Good luck!

Nevermind, false alarm ... my status site is now back to saying gathering of evidence. I don't feel like calling them and getting some lame duck rep. My stay positive meter just went from a 10 back to 0. I mean I know what I saw this morning on the same site and now all of a sudden it's back to what it was.
Usually happens when your proposed ratings are sent back to PEB

Mrsacmann, thanks for that. Basically I'm starting to see that the light at the end of the tunnel is more of like a miracle or a act of congress

Combat Eng, are you saying that because of the glitch on the site that my rating might have been sent to PEB?
Hey man go to e benefits. Go to the claim status page and for your open claim click on the DATE (blue hyperlink) and then on that page scroll down to where it says "what we still need from others" Does it say "Requested Separation Documents"? If so.....Congrats your proposed ratings have been completed and forwarded back to the PEB.....A second way of verifying this is to call the 1800 number and ask if proposed ratings have been complete. They probably wont tell you what they are but they CAN tell you if they have been completed....That is how I find out mine were done......Check Ebennies and let us know.

Hey man go to e benefits. Go to the claim status page and for your open claim click on the DATE (blue hyperlink) and then on that page scroll down to where it says "what we still need from others" Does it say "Requested Separation Documents"? If so.....Congrats your proposed ratings have been completed and forwarded back to the PEB.....A second way of verifying this is to call the 1800 number and ask if proposed ratings have been complete. They probably wont tell you what they are but they CAN tell you if they have been completed....That is how I find out mine were done......Check Ebennies and let us know.
Rewilder86, just checked e-benefits as you advised. It does say requested seperation documents with a return date of 20 Aug? Any idea what is actually going on right now.

Rewilder86, just checked e-benefits as you advised. It does say requested seperation documents with a return date of 20 Aug? Any idea what is actually going on right now.

Not a glitch! Your ratings are proposed, you are just waiting on your 199! Congrats

Yes. What they are requesting is your DD-214 which will be sent to them once you get out....that way they can finalize everything and start paying you. ;).....Your proposed ratings are done! The next step is PEB typing up your 199. ;)