How often does VA re-evaluate mental disorders

jamesrider22

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I am wondering how long after departure from service should I expect to be re-evaluated for my PTSD by the VA.

This is why some people get 6 month reviews, 18 month reviews and most of us get 3 year reviews.
6 month reviews are for brand, spanking new mental heath ratings. 18 month reviews are typically if the Veteran has a psych rating yet has declined to seek counseling, treatment or therapy. The shorter reviews are typically done for mental health at 50% or more.
This also explains when the VBA should not review you.
----
Prior to May 2017, regularly scheduled VA Disability Compensation reviews were generally done at 5 year intervals.
This is no longer the case!!!

NOTE!!! There is a reason for this change.
If you have had the same rating for five or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless your condition has improved on a sustained basis. All the medical evidence, not just the reexamination report, must support the conclusion that your improvement is more than temporary.
By shortening the time between required scheduled reviews the VBA will be able to avoid this rule and you will see a lot more reductions in the near future!
Always keep up medical documentation for all rated conditions to show a 'paper-trail' for a consistent diagnosis and treatment!

This is why some people get 6 month reviews, 18 month reviews and most of us get 3 year reviews.
6 month reviews are for brand, spanking new mental heath ratings. 18 month reviews are typically if the Veteran has a psych rating yet has declined to seek counseling, treatment or therapy. The shorter reviews are typically done for mental health at 50% or more.
This also explains when the VBA should not review you.
----
Prior to May 2017, regularly scheduled VA Disability Compensation reviews were generally done at 5 year intervals.
This is no longer the case!!!

NOTE!!! There is a reason for this change.
If you have had the same rating for five or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless your condition has improved on a sustained basis. All the medical evidence, not just the reexamination report, must support the conclusion that your improvement is more than temporary.
By shortening the time between required scheduled reviews the VBA will be able to avoid this rule and you will see a lot more reductions in the near future!
Always keep up medical documentation for all rated conditions to show a 'paper-trail' for a consistent diagnosis and treatment!

So I should expect to be re-evaluated at the 6 month mark

If you find a free VSO in your area they can pull your c file and tell you the exact date.