How to ask for higher ratings from VA (for non referred conditions)

happysad

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I was wondering what is the proper procedure for requesting a higher rating from the VA for a condition that was NOT a referred condition (So not a VARR for referred condition).

I'm at the end of IDES, with a separation date coming up. When I got my VA letter it spoke about how the next higher rating for a condition would be warranted. Well, for at least one of my conditions, I feel that I would qualify for the next higher rating. So what do I do? The only info I was told was that I could upload documents to eBenefits, but is there a form I upload with them that explains why I'm suddenly sending them more medical records? I was told that if the evidence was there by the time of my final rating, it would be considered. I'm hoping to increase my rating now if possible.
Thanks in advance!

Navy10

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
In my opinion you're playing with fire,The way I see it you have two options, wait to get out and send them then or send them in now and risk delaying the process of getting out of your command

Chris_USMC_E6

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
You wont delay the process. If you upload the evidence to Ebenefits the final reviewer may increase the rating if the document is from a physician that they deem valid. If they do not increase it on the final rating you an request an increase in rating and provide the evidence again. Have another C&P and get the money back later. Do not be afraid to provide additional evidence for the final review it could work out in your favor or establish a service connection for a later C&P date.

happysad

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
You wont delay the process. If you upload the evidence to Ebenefits the final reviewer may increase the rating if the document is from a physician that they deem valid. If they do not increase it on the final rating you an request an increase in rating and provide the evidence again. Have another C&P and get the money back later. Do not be afraid to provide additional evidence for the final review it could work out in your favor or establish a service connection for a later C&P date.
So do you just upload documents to the existing claim? There are no special forms or anything? Should I highlight the areas I believe warrant the higher rating?

I also have records for stuff I'm hoping to get service connected (they were claimed after IDES started, so while they show up on ebennies theres no service connection yet). Should I just upload those as well, perhaps with highlighted sections?

Chris_USMC_E6

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
if you claimed the conditions on your claim and you have an official diagnosis then it warrants service connection. The only thing that would be an issue is if you have condition considered pre-existing without being in the service for 8 years. I too had many things come up as not service connected when there was evidence in my medical records. I had a bad C&P examiner who did not care about the military. I uploaded all the evidence for those conditions with the help of VAMadeEasy to show the rating for the condition. When you have the opportunity have a VA IDES attorney look your ratings over. The VA Attorney will provide guidance and assistance to fixing issues. If you do not get the outcome you like file a new claim, request an increase if a condition rates it, and do not appeal until those steps have been completed. Appeals are severely back logged and will take years to accomplish.

happysad

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
if you claimed the conditions on your claim and you have an official diagnosis then it warrants service connection. The only thing that would be an issue is if you have condition considered pre-existing without being in the service for 8 years. I too had many things come up as not service connected when there was evidence in my medical records. I had a bad C&P examiner who did not care about the military. I uploaded all the evidence for those conditions with the help of VAMadeEasy to show the rating for the condition. When you have the opportunity have a VA IDES attorney look your ratings over. The VA Attorney will provide guidance and assistance to fixing issues. If you do not get the outcome you like file a new claim, request an increase if a condition rates it, and do not appeal until those steps have been completed. Appeals are severely back logged and will take years to accomplish.
So once I review the criteria, literally its just a matter of uploading new medical records/evidence to the existing claim (I'm not looking at ebennies now, but I believe there is a place where it says no new documents are needed at this time, do I load them there?), letting them look through them, and seeing what happens from there (whether they increase a rating, request more c&p exams, keep the current rating the same, or just deny service connection for those items that are new and not currently service connected.)?

Chris_USMC_E6

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
So once I review the criteria, literally its just a matter of uploading new medical records/evidence to the existing claim (I'm not looking at ebennies now, but I believe there is a place where it says no new documents are needed at this time, do I load them there?), letting them look through them, and seeing what happens from there (whether they increase a rating, request more c&p exams, keep the current rating the same, or just deny service connection for those items that are new and not currently service connected.)?
If you upload the documents it allows the final reviewer to see that additional documentation. You truly won't know the final outcome until the final rating is received. If you do not submit the information then you are guaranteed to stay at what you have now. Take what you have and upload the documents. Provide the evidence with the rating info explaining the increases you are showing or what the condition falls under.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">