How to request sleep study?

50crushplan

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I am in the beginning stages of my MEB and want to get all of my ducks in a row. Based on the craziness my wife witnesses while I'm sleeping she has recommended me to get a sleep study for a while now and I am not sure how to go about this? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-SGT V

mxridr

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Talk to your doctor, tell them what your wife witnesses and ask if you can have a sleep study done.

SeniorMech

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
When I requested mine I just made an appt with my PCM. I told him I would like to do a sleep study...so of course he said Why? I told him that I am always tired during the day, I experience headaches, former girlfriends have said it sounded like I stopped breathing or would make a choking sound at night..... Huge piece of advice >>>>>> Snoring by itself is not grounds to be given a sleep study. So take that for what it's worth. If you aren't experiencing all of the issues I noted above but really want a sleep study............

50crushplan

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
When I requested mine I just made an appt with my PCM. I told him I would like to do a sleep study...so of course he said Why? I told him that I am always tired during the day, I experience headaches, former girlfriends have said it sounded like I stopped breathing or would make a choking sound at night..... Huge piece of advice >>>>>> Snoring by itself is not grounds to be given a sleep study. So take that for what it's worth. If you aren't experiencing all of the issues I noted above but really want a sleep study............
Thanks, I think I fit the bill. I am always tired, my wife says in addition to the snoring I sound like I am dying. like I mentioned before I want to get all of my ducks in order before getting med boarded. I tried to tough it out for the longest time trying to get into schools and inevitably it just caused more damage. Thanks for the input. Much appreciated!

SGT V

SeniorMech

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Thanks, I think I fit the bill. I am always tired, my wife says in addition to the snoring I sound like I am dying. like I mentioned before I want to get all of my ducks in order before getting med boarded. I tried to tough it out for the longest time trying to get into schools and inevitably it just caused more damage. Thanks for the input. Much appreciated!

SGT V
You got it man!! The good thing is it's impossible to fake the results of a sleep study.... you either have OSA or you don't. The hard part is getting a referral for the testing! So use that advice to get the study booked. And if you can by chance get it service connected.... 50% VA rating is a nice bonus. Best of luck.

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
I would hope your PCM ordered a sleep study when you reported your symptoms. The first line of testing now is usually in home. Modern CPAP devices can monitor your breathing and report the number of apnea episodes per hour. Additionally the newer devices can auto titrate (adjust the amount of pressure). Furthermore they report via a digital cellular connection patient compliance (hours of usage per night) and device failures.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">