Husband might be starting MMRB process soon, questions!!

vishusvixen

Registered Member
My husband had an eye surgery go wrong, and he isn't cleared to run, fire his weapon, train, do PT anything, and a doc at the clinic warned us that he was on his last medical profile so he might be flagged soon. Well that might be this week. If they do decide to begin the MMRB process with him, how does all of this work and what do I need to watch out for? Our whole experience with the Army hasn't been great, the recruiter that signed him up bullshitted him completely about his job description and we would have been screwed if some guys didn't have sympathy for our situation when he was in Basic. Naturally I'm worried that we're going to be screwed over again!

First of all, I am sorry to hear about the surgery going wrong. I can relate. I just went through my MMRB in July and am now in the MEB process. I had an eye injury early 2010 while in Iraq and had to undergo multiple eye procedures including two laser treatments of PTK... not PRK or LASIK! These procedures did not correct my issues and in fact moved me from 20/20 in my right eye to 20/400 correctable to 20/40. I now wear a hard lens in only the damaged eye, blah, blah, blah. Don't want to bore you. Just wanted to give some background.

If he is on his last temporary profile, he will be required to receive a permanent. If he is coded with 3 or 4 then he may be referred to a MMRB or a MEB. It all depends if he can perform basic soldier tasks. If even one of those tasks are checked, he will proceed directly to a MEB. My temporary profiles stated no PT, No weapon firing, No field exercises, etc....but, when that year was up, my PCM changed the wording of my profile to avoid the MEB. I went to the MMRB but they determined I couldn't continue in my MOS and I couldn't reclassfiy. It sounds like if your husbands new profile is written just the same as his temporary profiles have been written the MMRB will be skipped. Keep in mind though, the MMRB may be a thing of the past by the time the permanent profile is written as units are moving to the MAR2 program. Some posts are only performing the MAR2. You will have to google MAR2 for more info though. I quit my research when I found out the program was delayed once again and the MMRB would in fact occur. If you would like any other info regarding the eye situation since I just went through numerous procedures feel free to PM or reply. I don't think your husband will be screwed though in any way. I had those same worries and am now feeling like the Army and VA will be taking care of me from here on out. I wish you and your husband the best of luck.

The advice I can give you is instead of asking the doctor tell your husband to tell them he wants to be referred to an MEB. If you go through MMRB it might slow down the process. It did in my case since they lost the paperwork twice, they switched to the MAR2 system and things got all messed up. That is just the way the military is once they half-way figure something out they change the system. I am pretty sure but not positive that if your husband has eye problems and his profile states what you says it states. Just ask the PCM to send your husband to an MEB. As a wife go with him and you tell the DOC to send him. You pull allot more weight than you probably think you do. And if that does not work tell your PCM that you need to contact you State Senator because you don't like how your husband is being treated. Good LUCK

I agree. Things got pretty messed up for as well when the docs were pushing for the MAR2. MAR2 was not and is not even authorized at my location, yet that was what they were trying to do. It wasted almost 4 months of my time just for them to suddenly change to the MMRB, which I actually had a huge part of because I contacted some "people." Anyways, I do agree with the last comment. Request the MEB up front if that is truly what you want. I was told it had to be recommended as you cannot just request for an MEB, but there is nothing against going into a doctors appointment having done some research ahead of time and asking the right questions to bring the idea up in conversation. Getting a congressman or senator involved is an option but I would try handling it at the lowest level possible. Even requesting a PCM change or at least get a second opinion from anothe doctor first could be of great benefit.