I am so confused... Please help

I was notified about one year ago that I am no longer fit for duty due to a back condition. Strangely, they initiated that when it became clear that my lung condition was more serious than Asthma.

I was told it was a Non-Duty related PEB. I submitted a ton of paperwork that proved I was injured and treated in Iraq so I overcame that part of it.

I am National Guard, four years original active duty and just under seven total AD years with mobilizations, a total of 27 years with both.

Last week I was granted a 100% T&P VA rating. This has nothing to do with the MED, my paperwork just left my state a few days before. They have had trouble doing things.

In the last year I have heard a million different things and I am terribly confused and conflicted. My lung illness is related to burn pits and it is progressing, it's somewhat terminal but I'm not dying this year, but I am having significant difficulties at my job.

I want to do what's best for my family and I simply cannot find information that is not conflicting. If you are NG, and have completed this process, please answer the following as best you can.

-If I go through the PEB / MEB is there any chance of being granted retired pay form the military? I have read CRDP over and over, but keep finding conflicting info.

-Is there any chance of my family having a low or no cost Tricare option to continue to serve as a secondary to the insurance my wife provides?

As it is, I have a $3500 tax free check form the VA. If there is no chance at pension access / Tricare at low or no cost I am risking the rating for nothing. I have been told that DoD does not like to discuss burn pits at all.

My referred condition is spine rated 20% / 40% radiculapothy of one leg

I selected the IDES option and would choose to add my lung condition, currently rated as 50% Sleep Apnea with Dypsnea. It was originally 30% Dypsnea but my Pulmonologist wrote a nexus letter to add Sleep Apnea as secondary so the SA rating overtook the Dypsnea.

I would potentially add a cardiac claim, I have had irregular EKGs for a few months and the Cardiologist believes my lung condition is causing heart problems. Testing will occur soon.

Thank you for any answers you may have.

Re: "If I go through the PEB / MEB is there any chance of being granted retired pay form the military? I have read CRDP over and over, but keep finding conflicting info."

It appears you might have 20 + good years. ("I am National Guard, four years original active duty and just under seven total AD years with mobilizations, a total of 27 years with both.")
If that is accurate, then you would be eligible for CRDP upon reaching the age requirement for reserve retirement, approximately age 60

If you received a medical retirement now, you would be entitled to disability retired pay, but it would be reduced by the amount of your VA compensation and you are not eligible at this time (apparently) for CRDP.

---> LINK to DFAS CRDP Info

Ron

Thanks RonG. It looks as if I am better off to request retirement and try to pull my MEB packet and walk away unless Tricare is an option. The monetary amount between 90% and 100% plus the benefits of it are pretty big. The bad info I have read indicates that I could get about 2k a month plus VA Comp.

I suppose it could be even lower than 90% depending on the mood of the rater.

I think I am eligible for CRSC unless it requires a medical discharge / medical retirement. As important as the insurance is for my family, I think the Chapter 35 benefits may be more important. I will still have a reserve pension at 60. Sadly I only have 1.5 years in grade (E7) and I guess drpping retirement paperwork will reduce me to E6 for retirement purposes.

Thanks RonG. It looks as if I am better off to request retirement and try to pull my MEB packet and walk away unless Tricare is an option. The monetary amount between 90% and 100% plus the benefits of it are pretty big. The bad info I have read indicates that I could get about 2k a month plus VA Comp.

I suppose it could be even lower than 90% depending on the mood of the rater.

I think I am eligible for CRSC unless it requires a medical discharge / medical retirement. As important as the insurance is for my family, I think the Chapter 35 benefits may be more important. I will still have a reserve pension at 60. Sadly I only have 1.5 years in grade (E7) and I guess drpping retirement paperwork will reduce me to E6 for retirement purposes.
Tricare IS a benefit that comes with a DoD medical retirement at any age.

CRSC does not require a medical retirement. It does require one of the several military retirements. See ---> LINK to CRSC info

If you have not reached the age requirement yet, the following is an example of how receipt of VA comp impacts retired pay.
Random numbers used: 4000 high three average base pay; 60% DoD medical retirement; 8 years AD, 2000 VA compensation
1. 4000 x 0.60 = 2400 retired pay
2. 2400 retired pay reduced by 2000 VA comp = 400 residual retired pay
3. 8 yrs AD x 0.025 = 20% longevity multiplier
4. 4000 x 0.020 = 800 longevity portion of retirement
5. Maximum possible CRSC = 800 (residual retired pay reduces this number)
In this case using random numbers, the retiree would receive in real time:
--800 max CRSC minus 400 residual retired pay = 400 CRSC. DFAS pays 400 residual retired pay plus 400 CRSC = 800 each month
--VA pays 2000 each month

Ron

Note: There are dozens of cases that can be examined on this board in the CRSC section/forum

So if I understand correctly, I could be eligible for CRSC with a combat rated disability, but the VA Comp will nullify any potential DoD retirement benefit until I am 60.

So if I understand correctly, I could be eligible for CRSC with a combat rated disability, but the VA Comp will nullify any potential DoD retirement benefit until I am 60.
Not exactly.

I purposely showed an example where there was residual retired pay that would be paid even if you did not qualify for CRSC.
On the other hand, most CH 61 cases I see end up with zero residual retired pay.

The VA comp has no impact on the TRICARE benefit.

CRSC replaces some or all of waived retired pay. Added: CRSC could be considered a DoD retirement benefit because it is associated with retired pay (waived).

Ron