I don't understand this process

Tempest

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I received my IPEB ratings and I want to appeal but I am overwhelmed with the amount of information and decisions so I am confused.

1. I have 10 days to make a decision on the IPEB ratings. Does that mean I only have 10 days to submit medical records & appeal information? I have to make appointments to see doctors & receive those records within the 10 days?

2. I don't have any new medical record information because I can't be seen on base at the moment, I wasn't approved for a referral to be seen off base & I can't afford to be seen off base on my own dime. Would it be ok for me to send them pieces of my medical record they already received & show them where it proves that I am eligible for a higher rating?

3. I suppose I can take a loan out to be seen off base. Would one appointment be ok (especially for MH)?

4. Is the appeal to the PEB just for the unfitting DOD conditions or is it for the VA ratings also?

5. The VA stated that some of my claimed conditions aren't related to my military career. I have documentation stating that I was diagnosed while in the service and that they're not pre-existing. Some of the documents they already have and some of them they don't. Can I send both the old and new documents? It seems as if they just skipped over some things.

6. I am in the Air Force. Do I speak to JAG or the OAC? I don't know if they expect everything to be written and they'll just look over it for me.

7. Does the new medical evidence need to include a letter from me and a DBQ from a doc or is a normal encounter/appointment note enough?

I'm sorry for all of the questions. It's tempting to just say I agree with the IPEB's findings because I want to be done with this already.

Your Pablo should be able to give you some basic advice on some of your questions. What is your status, active or NG?

You have 10 days to decide. If you ask for a FPEB; you can have military appointed counsel or hire counsel to assist you. Since you are overwhelmed I suggest contacting the OAC today! If after talking to the OAC, you decide not to go to the FPEB your counsel will help get it canceled.

You can also ask for a VARR. If you disagree with your MH rating, the VA will do a one time rating reconsideration. This cost you no money. The OAC will guide you through the possibilities.

Call the OAC today. They are YOUR attorney. The JAG is the AF's attorney.

Best wishes
Mike

You have 10 days to decide. If you ask for a FPEB; you can have military appointed counsel or hire counsel to assist you. Since you are overwhelmed I suggest contacting the OAC today! If after talking to the OAC, you decide not to go to the FPEB your counsel will help get it canceled.

You can also ask for a VARR. If you disagree with your MH rating, the VA will do a one time rating reconsideration. This cost you no money. The OAC will guide you through the possibilities.

Call the OAC today. They are YOUR attorney. The JAG is the AF's attorney.

Best wishes
Mike
Tempest, I agree that you need to call OAC soonest. Once you call them they have 48 hours to return the call. The can advocate for you. The PEBLO is most likely a contractor and cannot represent you yet does provide information on the process.

1. You have 10 days to sign the form requesting an FPEB. Sounds like you want to. You do not need additional information, yet. Keep gathering documentation as you attend medical appointments trying to get better.

2. Rating is done by VA; this will be a reconsideration request coordinated through your OAC. The FPEB will determine fit/unfit.

3. Ask OAC.

4. You would appeal the IPEB decision to be heard by the FPEB. The VA ratings may be reconsidered at another time; you will want to coordinate this decision with OAC.

5. Work with OAC for VA reconsideration. You can fight with the VA, quite literally, until you die.

6. OAC

7. Normal records are generally enough, although a future encounter with the VA may benefit from a DBQ. I would consult with OAC.

Hope this helps. Best of luck!

Thank you so much! Even though I didn't reply right away, I used the advise given and I should be retired in no time. It was too much information to process at the time and the OAC really did help. The OAC did advise that I accept the ratings and wait until after my firsyt paycheck to appeal. I took his advice.

Thank you so much! Even though I didn't reply right away, I used the advise given and I should be retired in no time. It was too much information to process at the time and the OAC really did help. The OAC did advise that I accept the ratings and wait until after my firsyt paycheck to appeal. I took his advice.

Not the greatest advice. If you have the evidence now to support a higher rating, all you do is request a VARR (simple MEMO written by the OAC) and submit to the VA.

If you believe there are conditions that are unfitting that were missed, then you request a FPEB.

Not the greatest advice. If you have the evidence now to support a higher rating, all you do is request a VARR (simple MEMO written by the OAC) and submit to the VA.

If you believe there are conditions that are unfitting that were missed, then you request a FPEB.

:eek: I hope I didn't make a mistake. OAC said that people mental health conditions hardly ever get PDRL so appealing would risk being put on TDRL. I hope that wasn't a load of crap lol.