I just got MEB for Migraines; been in the AF for only a year, and a flightliner. HELP!

N7crapbob

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
So a few days ago I saw my doctor and he told me he was starting the MEB process. I had been seeing him for about 8 months for migraines and nothing seems to work and we can't find the cause of the migraines. I've been getting these migraines about 4 to 5 times a week and it is really has been affecting my job on the flightline which is why I have been seeing this doctor in the first place. My question is how long does this whole process take? I'm probably not going to appeal the MEB because I've only been in the Air Force for a little over a year and I really do believe I am a danger out around the planes when I get these migraines because of the job I do.

I don't know if this information will help but some of the major symptoms that I get when I have these migraines are dizziness, nausea, loss of vision, and the worst of all blackouts.

The Standard answer for a complete MEB/PEB or IDES process is "it varies". however there is a pretty good idea to expect 9 to 12 month process. could take 6 months could be 18 months. Just have to go one step at a time.

I started getting Migraines summer of 2011. Got ref for MEB in Nov 2012. I have other issues I am claiming after over 12 years of service, but migraines are the reason I was referred to MEB.

Did you see neurologist? Is it a Neurologist diagnosis?

I was taking a look at the IDES chart but, like you I has also heard that it had varied. I've been seeing a neurologist almost the whole time. The first time I saw a flight doc for migraines, he almost immediately referred me to the neurologist. But Mine started about in June 2012 and I just now started the MEB. When did you start seeing the Neurologist?

I saw unit doc from june 2011 til Mar 2012 when i went to neurologist. but i had a change of station and a school and leave in there also.

important thing is to find the ref for AF that says whether migraines is unfit. (if neurologist sent you to MEB then it is 100% an unfitting condition.) The army regulation reads. Service member must see a neurologist. Neurologist may try medications for 3 months then should ref soldeir to MEB. If neurologist thinks meds will not help he may diagnose migraines and immediately ref soldier to MEB. So for me seeing neurologist for 9 month and trying over 5 different medications i was fine to go into med board.

now how they are rated by the services (army and AF) and by the VA is the same. by rating of course I mean % of compansation. if you need that let me know and I will direct you to it.

That just described my entire situation with this neurologist. But I did look up migraines in the AF regs in their VASRD codes and found it and I also found in their other regs as a disability. For the Air Force, from what at least the Doc told me at the beginning, he said that my migraines will only be unfit for duty if I can't a medication to control them or if we can't find the cause of them. The other thing I did find out too is that I guess before the pablo sends the package out the local base doctors review it, and since I'm in the flying squadrons, the flight med doctors have to review it. I think that may play a big role in it. But what stage of the process are in the MEB?

Nov 1, 2012 I have been referred by my unit and neurologist.

Mid Nov 2012I have a PEBLO

Dec 2012 Collected all data

Jan 2012 Seen VA for all exams. Waiting to meet with Army doctor to review VA exams and from that he will write NARSUM then I will get a complete packet including NARSUM from my PEBLO for me to review and either agree with sign and send up or disgree with and take to legal for help. Once it goes up My understanding is the MEB/IDES portion is done and it transitions to a PEB/IDES

The one think I truly don't understand out of all of this is why this takes so long. You would think that would want to try to expedite this because if you really think about why would they want us out there doing our jobs with migraines or any other threatening condition for that matter? Your process has already gone over a year and your still on the job. I know for Air Force we have C codes that restrict some deployments but what have you been doing when you've been getting migraines on the job? I know with my job they just tell me to keep working so I don't even tell them anymore.

No I have been getting migraines over a year. my MEB has only been going on since Nov 1 2012 so just 3 months.

When I get them i leave and go home and rest mine are Male Cluster Migraine Headaches almost always at the same time. And last between 4 to 12 hours. If i'm for some strange reason not allowed to leave work or they want me to go to sick call the next day etc. i will just go directly to the ER. I'm not going to work through them because when you do then it just becomes expected until the day you have one black out and seriously hurt yourself or someone else.

I have other issues that increased the migraines so my unit has pretty much gone with my sole job is to go to medical appointments.

I'll have to address all of this to my supervisor now seeing that they probably shouldn't do that. But I have missed a lot of work too because of the medical appointments. My other question for you is are you at a large or smaller base/fort/station? I'm at a smaller base and I have to go to an air force base about 2 hours away that actually has a hospital and a neurologist and I'm wondering if that will play a huge role in this MEB/PEB process. Both of our bases population wise aren't that big. So are the MEB/PEB done at the actual bases or are they done else where?

I'm at a huge post. Fort Hood Largest in the country I think and my actual PEB is still sent to one of three army PEB but my hospital and MEB are right on post for me.

No it shouldn't effect to much for you. It may slow things down just for communication and travel but you should have atleast email and phone contact with the people that you need to PEBLO etc.

I would still try and do your job as much as possible, but you have now been referred to an MEB your unit and bosses will be notified and they have to at least understand that you will have headaches and that you will have appointments. Mine were on board with me not performing when I couldn't (and I am not on flight line but if you are doing anything really you can't have mistakes or peoples lives may be jeopardized)...the last thing a Commander wants is a safety mishap on their watch.

Ok. Thank you for all this info that you have given me. I had no idea about most of the MEB and PEB process. I'll keep you posted on info about how many people are getting out on migraines though. I had asked one of the GI Rights people a few days ago on the phone if she would see how many people have been getting out on migraines and she said she would call me back on it. I'm also gonna see how fast possibly the rest of the process is at Travis afb is but I'm thinking this is definitely going to take a while.

yep settle in and take it day by day. i come here sometimes and i'm freaked out a bit then i just remember it is a process.