script async src="//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js">

I needed some advice on which would be more beneficial: to join the reserves or claim disability?

hotfist95

Registered Member
Thank you for all your the help.

I have a situation that I am currently in.

I was a Ssgt in the Air Force for 15 years. I was honorably discharged from service because of high year tenure; married with 3 kids.

Two months ago, a Reserve recruiter contacted me and asked if I would like to join. I had told them that I didn’t think I qualified because a few of the problems that I have. I can’t do the run or walk test for the military PT test, sleep apnea and back spasms every now and then. The recruiter still said let’s try, but I was denied, which I had a feeling that I would be.

Two months later, I received a call from the Reserves, they pushed my paperwork through. They thought they should look further into my case because I only have 5 more years to complete. I was still able to do my job; I just reached high year tenure for my rank. So they want me to do a MEPS physical and waive me for the walk and run because of my feet so I could join and complete the remaining 5 years. I was hinted by the Reserves to say I am good now at the physical and when I get in, then claim what’s wrong.

Also at the same time, I was about to start claiming my disabilities.

When the VA rep looked over my records, they told me I could probably get 70% for my conditions.

I needed some advice on which would be more beneficial: to join the reserves or claim disability?

I just don’t want to get messed over.

Here is a portion of what is listed in my medical records as chronic conditions.

Sleep apnea

Back muscle spasm

Lower back pain

Midback pain

Lumbago

Tendonitis posterior tibial (both feet)

Pes planus deformity (both feet)

Thank you very much for the help!

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Will the recruiter/MEPS folks sign a letter waiving the run for the next 5 years? I suspect not. Joining the military knowing you are unable to meet standards sounds like asking for future pain to me.

tony292

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Meps are notorious for disqualifying people for medical issues. If you do make it into the reserves you can get a pension at age 60 and collect VA compensation while you are in. It sounds like a shady recruiter deal to me but it may be legit.

Warrior644

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Thank you for all your the help.

I have a situation that I am currently in.

I was a Ssgt in the Air Force for 15 years. I was honorably discharged from service because of high year tenure; married with 3 kids.

Two months ago, a Reserve recruiter contacted me and asked if I would like to join. I had told them that I didn’t think I qualified because a few of the problems that I have. I can’t do the run or walk test for the military PT test, sleep apnea and back spasms every now and then. The recruiter still said let’s try, but I was denied, which I had a feeling that I would be.

Two months later, I received a call from the Reserves, they pushed my paperwork through. They thought they should look further into my case because I only have 5 more years to complete. I was still able to do my job; I just reached high year tenure for my rank. So they want me to do a MEPS physical and waive me for the walk and run because of my feet so I could join and complete the remaining 5 years. I was hinted by the Reserves to say I am good now at the physical and when I get in, then claim what’s wrong.

Also at the same time, I was about to start claiming my disabilities.

When the VA rep looked over my records, they told me I could probably get 70% for my conditions.

I just don’t want to get messed over.

Here is a portion of what is listed in my medical records as chronic conditions.

Sleep apnea

Back muscle spasm

Lower back pain

Midback pain

Lumbago

Tendonitis posterior tibial (both feet)

Pes planus deformity (both feet)

Thank you very much for the help!
Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

Hmm, I would tend to agree with the above poster's feedback at this point!

Nonetheless, I suggest that you proceed with the course of action which shall potentially provide the best overall long-term support for your family. Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!