I received 70% CRSC and I have 100% individual unemployability, how do I calculate my pay and will I receive backpay

jkboy73

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I received 70% CRSC and I have 100% individual unemployability, how do I calculate my pay and will I receive backpay.

The calculator doesnt work, none of the threads have the right answer and are outdated. The calculator gave me a number less than I am currently receiving and said I would receive no CRSC. All threads I have found do not give any guidance as to the practicalities of getting paid.

Jkboy73,

Re: CRSC for Chapter 61 Retiree

1. CRSC as a Chapter 61 retiree with <20 years service will be the lesser of
--the dollar amount of the longevity portion of your retirement
or
--the dollar amount of the CRSC rate/percentage approved by your service.

2. The value of the rate approved by your service (upon application) will be found in the VA compensation tables (e.g., if 50% and no dependents, you would search for "50%, veteran alone." That amount is $855.41. Just an example.)

3. Dollar amount of the longevity portion of retirement:
a. Years and months active duty x 2.5% = multiplier (e.g., 10 yrs 6 mo: 10.5 x 0.025 = 26.25 multiplier, example)
b. Average of high 36 months base pay for retirement x multiplier = dollar amount of longevity portion of retirement (e.g., $3000 high three x 0.2625 = $787.50 dollar amt of longevity, example)

4. CRSC, in the examples above would be the lesser of no. 2 and no. 3 = $787.50

5. Any residual retired pay after waiver for VA compensation will reduce the amount of CRSC for a Chapter 61 retiree.

Note: As you likely know, those with IU are paid at the 100% rate for VA compensation with the applicable number of dependents/family members shown in the VA comp tables.

Thank you. Does the back pay go to date of retirement or date of submission?

JKboy73,

Per DFAS:

Your retroactive payment date may go back as far as June 1, 2003, but can be limited based on:
—your overall CRSC start date as awarded by your Branch of Service
—your Purple Heart eligibility
—your retirement date
—your retirement law (disability or non-disability)
—six-year barring statute
—Disability retirees with less than 20 years of service will be automatically limited to a retroactive date of January 1, 2008 as required by legislation passed by Congress effective 2008.

All retroactive pay is limited to six years from the date the VA awarded compensation for each disability.

I suspect in your case, it will be retro to date of retirement if VA comp has the same effective date.

Jkboy73,

Re: CRSC for Chapter 61 Retiree

1. CRSC as a Chapter 61 retiree with <20 years service will be the lesser of
--the dollar amount of the longevity portion of your retirement
or
--the dollar amount of the CRSC rate/percentage approved by your service.

2. The value of the rate approved by your service (upon application) will be found in the VA compensation tables (e.g., if 50% and no dependents, you would search for "50%, veteran alone." That amount is $855.41. Just an example.)

3. Dollar amount of the longevity portion of retirement:
a. Years and months active duty x 2.5% = multiplier (e.g., 10 yrs 6 mo: 10.5 x 0.025 = 26.25 multiplier, example)
b. Average of high 36 months base pay for retirement x multiplier = dollar amount of longevity portion of retirement (e.g., $3000 high three x 0.2625 = $787.50 dollar amt of longevity, example)

4. CRSC, in the examples above would be the lesser of no. 2 and no. 3 = $787.50

5. Any residual retired pay after waiver for VA compensation will reduce the amount of CRSC for a Chapter 61 retiree.

Note: As you likely know, those with IU are paid at the 100% rate for VA compensation with the applicable number of dependents/family members shown in the VA comp tables.

RonG, I have a very similar situation as above. But was confused by my CRSC pay statement today. My numbers and information is below.

-medical retirement w/ 11 years
-100% VA rating
-Individual Unemployability
-CRSC percentage 70%
-Army retirement is $3677
-VA waiver is $3173
-My eRAS statement is $495.95

I was awarded $55 for CRSC. Can you please help me understand why my CRSC is $55?

thanks
RD

RonG, I have a very similar situation as above. But was confused by my CRSC pay statement today. My numbers and information is below.
-medical retirement w/ 11 years
-100% VA rating
-Individual Unemployability
-CRSC percentage 70%
-Army retirement is $3677
-VA waiver is $3173
-My eRAS statement is $495.95

I was awarded $55 for CRSC. Can you please help me understand why my CRSC is $55?
Hello RonDavis99,

Here is some information pertaining to your request.

1. The gross pay on your DFAS RAS 3677 should be a percentage of a certain number. What was your DoD disability percentage?
2. 11 years active duty X 0.025 = 27.5% longevity multiplier This is based on active duty or active duty equivalent years only. Are the 11 years active duty?
3. High three xxxx x 0.275 = xxxx longevity portion of retired pay Need the DoD disability percentage to determine the high three
4. Gross retired pay minus VA compensation amount; 3677 - 3173 = 504 residual retired pay (close to the 495.95 you cited for your eRAS)
5. You don’t show number of dependents and categories for comparing 70% CRSC to longevity amount, but the lowest 70% amount is 1,403.71 Please provide number of dependents by category. Also confirm your VA amount; I did not find 3173, but I did locate 3171.12 for veteran with child under 18.
6. The combination of residual retired pay and CRSC cannot exceed the longevity portion of retired pay.
7. xxxxx longevity minus 504 residual retired pay = xxxxx CRSC
8. Based on the info you provided, you should receive from DFAS:
a. 504 residual retired pay
and
b. xxxx CRSC
TOTAL = xxxxx (same amount as longevity)

Please keep in mind that the only data/info I have for your case is what you reported. The complete info needed for an estimate is shown at the bottom of this post.

Regards,
Ron

RonG

I apologize and believe you are correct in that my information is incomplete. According to my retirement orders my Disability Retirement is 4 years 7 months; Basic Pay is 11 years 2 months; DoD percent is 80%; and I have 1child dependent.
I’m guessing this new information will make the numbers work. However, how does/do the Individual Unemployability laws impact CRSC?

thanks for what you do for me and the group!

RonG

I apologize and believe you are correct in that my information is incomplete. According to my retirement orders my Disability Retirement is 4 years 7 months; Basic Pay is 11 years 2 months; DoD percent is 80%; and I have 1child dependent.
I’m guessing this new information will make the numbers work. However, how does/do the Individual Unemployability laws impact CRSC?

I'll work some numbers for you in a minute, but first, a comment about IU. It can be added to the approved CRSC percentage; however, I think I can accurately predict your CRSC will not reach that level since your CRSC cannot exceed the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retired pay. Additionally, CRSC when combined with residual retired pay cannot exceed the longevity amount.

Ron

Hi Ron,

thank you. I obviously read the DFAS regulation/laws incorrectly. I read IU as a separate applicable entity. I greatly appreciate you clearing all this up.
Thank you!

Ron D

RonG

Hello,

Earlier, I provided:

Here is some information pertaining to your request (this includes the revisions of today).

1. The gross pay on your DFAS RAS 3677 should be a percentage of a certain number. --new info = 80%; 3677/0.75 = 4902.67 high three
2. 11 years active duty X 0.025 = 27.5% longevity multiplier --new info 4 years 7 months active duty (inferred) results in 4.58 x 0.025 = 11.45% longevity multiplier
3. High three 4902.67 x 0.1145 = 561.36 longevity portion of retired pay --new info 80% DoD percentage
4. Gross retired pay minus VA compensation amount; 3677 - 3173 = 504 residual retired pay (close to the 495.95 you cited for your eRAS)
5. You don’t show number of dependents and categories for comparing 70% CRSC to longevity amount, but the lowest 70% amount is 1,403.71
6. The combination of residual retired pay and CRSC cannot exceed the longevity portion of retired pay which is 561.36.
7. 561.36 longevity minus 504 residual retired pay = 57.36 CRSC
8. Based on the info you provided, you should receive from DFAS:
a. 504 residual retired pay
and
b. 57.36 CRSC
TOTAL = 561.36 (same amount as longevity)

Although some of the figures are off a few dollars (possibly due to rounding, etc.), this clearly shows that the amount you are receiving from DFAS is correct.

Regards,
Ron