IDES - AF Timeline & VA C&P Exams

eodpete

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hi All,

I was found unfit (didn't fight the IRILO and chose IDES) and my VA claim was filed on 15 JAN 19. My PEBLO estimated I would be out by end of April but there's no way that's going to happen at this point and I have a job in Dallas with a 1 JUN start date. I've been pretty patience up until this point but it's getting hard...

It has now been over 90 days and I am still waiting on my C&P exams to be scheduled. I am in Phoenix and was wondering if anyone else has experienced this hold up?

Here's the update from VA.gov and I have no idea what all these requests are for.

MAR 4 - We closed the notice for request 5
FEB 28 - We closed the notice for request 3
FEB 27 - We closed the notice for request 3
FEB 20 - We closed the notice for request 2
JAN 30 - We closed the notice for request 1
JAN 30 - Claim moved to evidence gathering, review and decision

Has anyone else had their claim filed in JAN 19 and had a similar experience? Any advice for speeding this process up?

Unfortunately, there is zero you can do to speed up the process. My PEBLO doesn't give estimates for separation dates for this very reason. The VA does what the VA does; in fact it took them 6 weeks just to return the completed Exam notes (DBQs)... however I do find it odd that you don't even have appointments scheduled yet. Did you get assigned a VA MSC or someone that went through your medical records and filed your claim paperwork for you? I would follow up with them as they are the ones who get the ball rolling with the VA.

Yes, I was assigned one through base and she filed everything on JAN 15. I spoke with my PEBLO a few minutes ago and apparently the VA is having issues with the contractors who are supposed to be scheduling these appointments. Other people who's claims were filed in JAN are starting to get appointments and he said he would call over to the VA supervisor who handles all the IDES claims to see if he could jump-start something for me. This is supposed to be a streamlined process but it's driving me nuts! I have not seen anyone else's C&P timeline on this forum stretch out as long as this. I'm just praying that once they are done, the rest of the process will hit the targeted time lines so I can move out to Dallas. I'd hate to turn the position down, only to be out in time.

I have another guy in my shop who filed on his own online and he had appointments 10 days later. I'm starting to think the lady who filed my paperwork screwed something up...

Do you all use QTC as the contractor? I have heard that they are having issues with backlog with QTC but haven't really heard specifics.
Yes, it is very strange that it's been this long for you to get appointments. The scheduling of the appointments usually one of the fastest steps of this whole process.

I definitely understand the frustration of the process but I felt it was worth it. Waiting to file a claim until after you are out gets you stuck in the VA backlog and it could take sooooo much longer. Plus I like knowing that there won't be very much gap between when I get out and when VA compensation begins. I hate how long this process it taking back can only imagine how much worse it is doing it on our own!

Hope it works out for you though... hopefully the VA can light some fires under someone for dropping the ball and get your case sped up as much as possible.

Thanks and true - I asked him if I could revert back to legacy DES but he said nope. Haha looks like I'm just going to have to keep calling and waiting.

It looks like we had a similar timeline at the start but where are you at now? Do you have sep/ret orders already? It seems that the process went relatively quickly after your C&P exams.

Oh no... QTC took their sweet time returning the C&P exam notes.
The MEB itself is actually done at your local MTF by 3 docs, and it's about the halfway point in the whole process. Since that result was "Refer to IPEB"; the whole package will be sent to AFPC for them to determine fit/unfit for continued service. Once it comes back as unfit (99% sure that it will) then they will ping the VA for their proposed ratings (this is probably the longest part of the normal process). As soon as those proposed ratings come in then the results will be given to me and as long as I don't appeal anything then that is the part where orders are generated and you have an official separation/retirement date.

Ok - so it looks like I'm going to be in a lot longer than expected. I'm trying to get my commander to authorize excess leave so I can go out to Dallas and get everything ready to go because I'm useless here at the unit and then fly back as needed to sign paperwork and final out...

I'll keep updating as this moves along. Thank for the info!

Every case is different so maybe yours will move faster than mine once it is really going :) Think positive.

Also, please don't take what va.gov says to seriously... since we are in IDES it really isn't that useful to us all the time.

So are you saying that the IDES is quicker haha or is it slower compared to regular claims?

Oh definitely quicker! When I first started my estimated date on VA.gov was 30 November 2019. Now it says 31 July but even that is probably very inaccurate.

Ok that gives me a little hope because mine is Dec 19 as of now. I just don’t understand how a process that is supposed to take 45 days (c&p) can stretch out to over 90 without any scheduled exams yet. Blows my mind

I'm waiting on my orders, and I signed for my ratings two weeks ago. My va.gov STILL says July 24th 2019. So I wouldn't trust it

I'm waiting on my orders, and I signed for my ratings two weeks ago. My va.gov STILL says July 24th 2019. So I wouldn't trust it

Congrats on being in the home stretch! If you dont mind my asking what were your results and Sep/ret date?

Congrats on being in the home stretch! If you dont mind my asking what were your results and Sep/ret date?
70 DOD/ 90 VA and I'm out of here 19 APR. You can pick your date within 90 days of when you get your numbers, and I want OUT. Crossing my fingers I get my orders soon so I can start terminal

Wow - I didn't realize how quickly you could get out once you accept the board findings. Maybe there is hope yet!

Wow - I didn't realize how quickly you could get out once you accept the board findings. Maybe there is hope yet!
I've heard of someone who got out after ten days of getting their ratings, just sold all of their leave and got out. It's possible! All depends on how fast they make your orders

Update - my constant calls and emails have been noticed. PEBLO just called and told me he spoke with VA IDES supervisor and to stay next to phone as they are scheduling all of my appointments at the local VA instead of QTC. He said its possible they could be tomorrow (not hopeful) but "very soon". MAY 1 sep/ret is a no go, but he said JUNE or JULY is possible which means I may not have to turn down this amazing job opportunity if I can get the company to work with me! Let's see what happens now...

Update - my constant calls and emails have been noticed. PEBLO just called and told me he spoke with VA IDES supervisor and to stay next to phone as they are scheduling all of my appointments at the local VA instead of QTC. He said its possible they could be tomorrow (not hopeful) but "very soon". MAY 1 sep/ret is a no go, but he said JUNE or JULY is possible which means I may not have to turn down this amazing job opportunity if I can get the company to work with me! Let's see what happens now...

That's awesome! Glad you are finally getting some movement! Fingers crossed it stays moving quickly for you.

My package was accepted by the IPEB today and my PEBLO says they should come back with an answer (fit or unfit) next week. The end is getting near(ish).

That’s awesome - I’d be interested to know how quickly you’ll get orders assuming you get a favorable outcome.

I will definitely update. Fingers crossed I have no reason to appeal the outcome.