IDES/ PEB with current 100% T&P question?

MILO

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I am currently in the IDES process. I have been recommended to the PEB for "solely" degenerative disk disease in my lumbar region. The Surgeon said I should claim every ailment once I talk to the VA MSC and they will evaluate these claims via the VA process and then create a NARSUM for the PEB on what the VA rates, in turn, the Army will determine its rating.

I have various spinal cord injuries throughout my entire spine. (Degenerative arthritis of the spine, spinal stenosis, intervertebral disc syndrome. Cervical degenerative joint disease with stenosis and foraminal narrowing. Cervical and Lumbar radiculopathy)

I recently was rated at 100% T&P by the VA. (November 2018)

My question is, should I reclaim any spinal cord issues and reopen the claims on specific problems related to my injuries for it to be included in the NARSUM?

Even if I reclaim all of my spinal cord injuries and PTSD and do not reclaim/ reopen my other issues, I will still have 100% with the VA.

I do not want to lose my VA ratings, but I want to ensure I receive above a 30% rating from the Army.

Any advice would be helpful.
Thank you

I recently came off of active duty orders on June 6th, 2018. I have 20 years of service, 14 years of active duty combined with National Guard and Reserves but 20"good years" total.

My question is, should I reclaim any spinal cord issues and reopen the claims on specific problems related to my injuries for it to be included in the NARSUM?

Absolutely. Yes.

If I do that, it will not affect my other ratings from VA?

If I do that, it will not affect my other ratings from VA?

I may have misunderstood and based my response on a misunderstanding. How are you still not medically retired from the Army? Could you provide a little more information on what you're trying to do?

I may have misunderstood and based my response on a misunderstanding. How are you still not medically retired from the Army? Could you provide a little more information on what you're trying to do?
I am currently in the Army Reserves doing my MEB/PEB at Fort Campbell. (My entire process is done by email or phone, not requiring me to be physically there). Last year, not knowing I would be put into the IDES process, I preemptively submitted all of my documents through Ebenefits and went through the C&P process.
What allowed me to do the process this way is because I came off active duty orders in June of last year and have been medically unable to continue. Since last June I have done no drills or active duty time.
So in a "normal" active duty situation, I would do my VA C& P via the IDES process, and they would use that information to calculate my Army ratings. In my case, I already know my ratings and where I stand with the VA. (And all of the evaluations by VA were completed within the last six months) Which means they may not have to reevaluate me.
My question is spawned from paranoia. I do not want to lose my 100% from VA.
I want to figure out if for some reason they require me to be re-evaluated, can i "pick and choose" what I want to reclaim, without it causing everything to be re-evaluated?
I have 20 years of service, 14 years of active duty combined with National Guard and Reserves but 20"good years" total.

Unfortunately not able to help you more on this one, hopefully a more knowledgeable forum veteran can provide some insight.

Hey man, I'm in a similar situation and actually just went through my IDES C&P, after already doing some C&P exams for what are now my referred conditions along with some others. When I went through the second round I chose NOT to list non-referred conditions for which I was already rated for. There really is no point at all to do so. Getting a higher disability on the DoD side only happens with regards to your referred conditions.

The exception would obviously be if those conditions have gotten worse, and while you have a 100% combined rating, you can still increase the individual disability ratings.

I was told that because all of my C&P evaluations were completed within the last year I may not have to repeat the evaluations.
My med board was initiated because of my low back.
I have attached my profile.
I have already been rated for PTSD(70%) -Hearing and Tinnitus-Cervical injuries. All of these alone are 100% T&P.

So what your saying is DOD is only going to rate me for what the recommendation was for and not the collective findings of VA?

Thank you!

Attachments

• PHYSICAL PROFILE Edited.pdf
    171.6 KB · Views: 17
Hey man, I'm in a similar situation and actually just went through my IDES C&P, after already doing some C&P exams for what are now my referred conditions along with some others. When I went through the second round I chose NOT to list non-referred conditions for which I was already rated for. There really is no point at all to do so. Getting a higher disability on the DoD side only happens with regards to your referred conditions.

The exception would obviously be if those conditions have gotten worse, and while you have a 100% combined rating, you can still increase the individual disability ratings.

I was told that because all of my C&P evaluations were completed within the last year I may not have to repeat the evaluations.
My med board was initiated because of my low back.
I have attached my profile.
I have already been rated for PTSD(70%) -Hearing and Tinnitus-Cervical injuries. All of these alone are 100% T&P.

So what your saying is DOD is only going to rate me for what the recommendation was for and not the collective findings of VA?

Thank you!

The DOD will rate you for anything that is considered unfit according to regulations. That being said, you should have LOD's for your PTSD and back on file or your unit will have to create it to start your mebpeb process. The only way the VA will lower your rating is if you have gotten better. If you do not have a CP exam within 6 months you may have to get those done again. I'm currently waiting for my ratings from the VA and I was rated all the way back in 2013. When I started this process I had the same fear, but it shows that all my conditions I was previously rated for were sent in for an increase. It takes some time but hang in there and don't stress. Good luck!