IDES timeline needs revision..impacts PTSD

Kristy Moore

Registered Member
I am a active duty soldier with 22 years of service and am going through the MEB/PEB process. The issue I would like to offer to the forum for discussion is how the extensive amount of time allotted for the process is not conducive to soldiers with PTSD related conditions stemming from experiences gained while serving. Recovery is hard when you are asked to return to the same job each day while the board is allotted 265 days to investigate and decide your case. Therapy can only try to sustain you as you feel you cannot move forward.

How can a service member help the board understand the importance of the member needing resolution and retirement to help the healing and coping process? My PEBLO just keeps stating it is a good thing they are taking so long for rating purposes. I was referred in OCT 18. My first PEBLO visit was not until DEC18 with exams in JAN 19.

If I write a letter to my Congress person or the board will this impact my timeline?

The IDES timeline has actually been reduced from what it used to be. Not saying that it doesn't have massive room for more improvement, but in the minds of everyone involved on a day to day basis with the VA and IDES, it is moving in the right direction.

Doing a congressional inquiry is definitely an option you always have available but I would manage your expectations. It will most likely will only serve to show you where you are at in the process and will most likely not speed it up. If your first PEBLO visit wasn't until December, it sounds like you are right on track with the normal "timeline". To answer your question, a congressional inquiry will should not impact your timeline.

I am sorry you are struggling with your PTSD conditions. If they are causing you to struggle with even basic life functions, please know there are tons of resources available to you, even outside of the VA system. Military One Source will give you 12 free counseling or therapy sessions at a local person of your choice. I have used it twice and am using right now for marriage counseling and couldn't speak more highly of it. It only took a 5-minute phone call and I was off to the races.