IDES worth it, if already receiving 60% VA compensation?

atrain2008

Registered Member
Hey I’m new to the site and I’m looking for some advice or encouragement. I looked thru several posts to try to find someone close to my experience. Please forward or refer me to anyone that I might have missed.

I’m unsure how to go about going thru IDES or if I should at all. I got out of active duty from the Army in 2016 with 7 years and a VA disability rating of 60%. I didn’t go thru the IDES back then because I just needed to get out quick and didn’t wanna delay it anymore (probably a mistake).

I chose to go into the National Guard to stick it out but now I’m thinking I won’t even make it to 20 (currently 12 good years). I’ve contacted a VA rep to be reevaluated for my disabilities since they are getting worse. My current thoughts/options are:
  1. Transfer into the IRR and work on my PEB there. I’m unsure if it’s easier, same or more difficult going thru that process in the IRR vs NG. I’m just physically and mentally done with drill.
  2. Hope for a higher disability rating from the VA, just get out of the NG, and call that good enough.
I’m hesitant to talk to anyone within the NG because it’s a small network and I’m sure people talk. I made the mistake of talking candidly to my CoC during active duty and my evals were negatively impacted and so were my assignments.

Is it worth trying to go thru the IDES process to get a medical retirement/separation? Or should to take the VA disability compensation and call it a day? Thoughts?

You don't apply for IDES. Medics must identify you as needing an IDES. So if you are avoiding NG medics, you are not likely to get an IDES.

I much prefer to use Tricare over VA medicine. My experience with VA medicine is the care is fine when you can get in to see a doc, but access is terrible. There is just not the accountability there is with a private practice, when no patients means no pay.

I'm on Medicare and between Medicare and Tricare, I rarely have a copay other than meds. I use the VA for optical, dental (you have to be P&T-this is suppose to change), hearing aids, some medications.

Hey I’m new to the site and I’m looking for some advice or encouragement. I looked thru several posts to try to find someone close to my experience. Please forward or refer me to anyone that I might have missed.

I’m unsure how to go about going thru IDES or if I should at all. I got out of active duty from the Army in 2016 with 7 years and a VA disability rating of 60%. I didn’t go thru the IDES back then because I just needed to get out quick and didn’t wanna delay it anymore (probably a mistake).

I chose to go into the National Guard to stick it out but now I’m thinking I won’t even make it to 20 (currently 12 good years). I’ve contacted a VA rep to be reevaluated for my disabilities since they are getting worse. My current thoughts/options are:
  1. Transfer into the IRR and work on my PEB there. I’m unsure if it’s easier, same or more difficult going thru that process in the IRR vs NG. I’m just physically and mentally done with drill.
  2. Hope for a higher disability rating from the VA, just get out of the NG, and call that good enough.
I’m hesitant to talk to anyone within the NG because it’s a small network and I’m sure people talk. I made the mistake of talking candidly to my CoC during active duty and my evals were negatively impacted and so were my assignments.

Is it worth trying to go thru the IDES process to get a medical retirement/separation? Or should to take the VA disability compensation and call it a day? Thoughts?
I am currently in the NG and I am going through the IDES process. It is a long process, however, in the end I hope to receive Tricare since I am a title 32 tech and my commercial copays are ridiculous since I am not allowed to have tricare. However, with an active duty percentage of 30% or higher, I know that I will at least have the tricare coverage once I am out of the military, that is worth it to me.

I am currently rated 70% VA and that is without my unfit rating, therefore, I hope that it is higher. I understand wanting to "be done" with drill, however, the trade off is worth the reward. You will have to get with your MEDCOM and unit to start your paperwork. I don't know what type of unit that you are in but I would start there. I hope this helps some. Good luck!

You don't apply for IDES. Medics must identify you as needing an IDES. So if you are avoiding NG medics, you are not likely to get an IDES.

I much prefer to use Tricare over VA medicine. My experience with VA medicine is the care is fine when you can get in to see a doc, but access is terrible. There is just not the accountability there is with a private practice, when no patients means no pay.

I'm on Medicare and between Medicare and Tricare, I rarely have a copay other than meds. I use the VA for optical, dental (you have to be P&T-this is suppose to change), hearing aids, some medications.
Thank you for your response. I understand you don't apply for IDES. Thank you for the clarification. I was more curious if the lengthy process was worth the trouble (in your opinion).

I am currently in the NG and I am going through the IDES process. It is a long process, however, in the end I hope to receive Tricare since I am a title 32 tech and my commercial copays are ridiculous since I am not allowed to have tricare. However, with an active duty percentage of 30% or higher, I know that I will at least have the tricare coverage once I am out of the military, that is worth it to me.

I am currently rated 70% VA and that is without my unfit rating, therefore, I hope that it is higher. I understand wanting to "be done" with drill, however, the trade off is worth the reward. You will have to get with your MEDCOM and unit to start your paperwork. I don't know what type of unit that you are in but I would start there. I hope this helps some. Good luck!
Thanks for sharing your experience. Speaking with current Soldiers going thru IDES and why they chose to go that route helps in shaping my decision. Your opinion lines up with the mass. How long have you been going thru the process so far?

Thank you for your response. I understand you don't apply for IDES. Thank you for the clarification. I was more curious if the lengthy process was worth the trouble (in your opinion).
Most of the time, I think the answer is yes. There are exceptions.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Speaking with current Soldiers going thru IDES and why they chose to go that route helps in shaping my decision. Your opinion lines up with the mass. How long have you been going thru the process so far?
I have attached my IDES timeline as of today. My packet was submitted last November. I don't think COVID has done me any favors regarding appointments during that time and folks getting settled in to telework. I hope to have something finalized soon.

Attachments

• IDES_16SEP2021.JPG
    IDES_16SEP2021.JPG
    203.2 KB · Views: 15
I have attached my IDES timeline as of today. My packet was submitted last November. I don't think COVID has done me any favors regarding appointments during that time and folks getting settled in to telework. I hope to have something finalized soon.
Have you noticed that the Army Average section never changes anymore? I don't think they are updating it weekly.

Have you noticed that the Army Average section never changes anymore? I don't think they are updating it weekly.
I think you are correct. I hate even checking it because it reminds me of how far behind I am

I chose LDES over IDES because i was ANG and allready head my VA rating, i wanted out fast and was out in about 2 months after package was sent to NGB.

I chose LDES over IDES because i was ANG and allready head my VA rating, i wanted out fast and was out in about 2 months after package was sent to NGB.
I received my O199 last week and I hope to have my orders in a couple of weeks. I only had 30 percent VA when I started the MEB and now I am at 70% and still awaiting one more service connection. It took quite a while but I am glad that I went through the IDES...but shew, I never thought I would get to this point. I totally understand going out LDES!

I received my O199 last week and I hope to have my orders in a couple of weeks. I only had 30 percent VA when I started the MEB and now I am at 70% and still awaiting one more service connection. It took quite a while but I am glad that I went through the IDES...but shew, I never thought I would get to this point. I totally understand going out LDES!
Ya i allready had 60% with a couple pending eval so i wasnt really worried about getting more rating, never thought id get up to 60% in the first place

Ya i allready had 60% with a couple pending eval so i wasnt really worried about getting more rating, never thought id get up to 60% in the first place
I think there are a lot more risks going with LDES. IDES gives you more protections and more control over your fate. LDES doesn't even have to give you the same rating that the VA gave you. I know a lot of people worry about what they can lose but realistically you have a better chance of getting the same or better outcome going through IDES. Unless you know you are not rated properly and that your percentage should be lower there isn't one good reason to go LDES. Even the wait time argument doesn't hold much water especially right now since the bottleneck is the PEB. If you work hard on your case and medical evidence you should have the same or better outcome with IDES.

I think there are a lot more risks going with LDES. IDES gives you more protections and more control over your fate. LDES doesn't even have to give you the same rating that the VA gave you. I know a lot of people worry about what they can lose but realistically you have a better chance of getting the same or better outcome going through IDES. Unless you know you are not rated properly and that your percentage should be lower there isn't one good reason to go LDES. Even the wait time argument doesn't hold much water especially right now since the bottleneck is the PEB. If you work hard on your case and medical evidence you should have the same or better outcome with IDES.
I know what you are saying, my situation was kinda unique, i was guard and only had 1 legit LOD for being separated, it was a 20% rating for my shoulder, i knew PEB wouldint give me more or less for my rating and since that was the only thing getting separated for it was all pretty much locked in reguardless of which way i went. My paperwork was sent to MEB first week of dec 2020, i had and answer first week of Jan and had separation orders for Feb 2, 2021 It would have been far longer for IDES. I got separated with severance 20% and got 55k severance. I was also a FED TECH, that required military membership. So i got disability retirement from that as well plus my VA rating. Very happy overall with how it turned out.

I know what you are saying, my situation was kinda unique, i was guard and only had 1 legit LOD for being separated, it was a 20% rating for my shoulder, i knew PEB wouldint give me more or less for my rating and since that was the only thing getting separated for it was all pretty much locked in reguardless of which way i went. My paperwork was sent to MEB first week of dec 2020, i had and answer first week of Jan and had separation orders for Feb 2, 2021 It would have been far longer for IDES. I got separated with severance 20% and got 55k severance. I was also a FED TECH, that required military membership. So i got disability retirement from that as well plus my VA rating. Very happy overall with how it turned out.
Glad you were happy with the result! It's not that good things don't happen with LDES. Its just that if things don't go the way they should you have less recourse to get them fixed with LDES. Also, say you had a 2nd unfitting condition but there wasn't a LOD on file. You could appeal to a FPEB with IDES and have it possibly added if your case is strong enough. That's why I advocate for IDES. A long time ago I got screwed with LDES. If I had IDES I am confident my results would have been different.

Glad you were happy with the result! It's not that good things don't happen with LDES. Its just that if things don't go the way they should you have less recourse to get them fixed with LDES. Also, say you had a 2nd unfitting condition but there wasn't a LOD on file. You could appeal to a FPEB with IDES and have it possibly added if your case is strong enough. That's why I advocate for IDES. A long time ago I got screwed with LDES. If I had IDES I am confident my results would have been different.
Ya i can definitely see that

I was of the understanding that the LDES process is only for very specific/special cases these days. I was told most everyone is "encouraged" (forced) to do IDES. For those with a VA rating they don't want re-evaluated, you are supposed to be able to waive the VA from re-evaluating during the IDES process? Is this the case or have I read it all wrong? I think I saw that @SFC H has done it?

I was of the understanding that the LDES process is only for very specific/special cases these days. I was told most everyone is "encouraged" (forced) to do IDES. For those with a VA rating they don't want re-evaluated, you are supposed to be able to waive the VA from re-evaluating during the IDES process? Is this the case or have I read it all wrong? I think I saw that @SFC H has done it?
LDES is allowed but for most circumstances its not a good decision. IDES gives you more protections and more opportunities to correct an injustice.