If you are DOD TDRL/PDRL retired with less than 20 years of service please read.

PEBMember2017

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
@Camadk3

I would appeal use the services of NVLSP and get in contact with your PEBLO and MEB attorney as quickly as possible the PEB deadlines are very tight. If you haven't received a copy of the TDRL examiners exam I would get that ASAP as well to see that it actually does support the 70% rating.

Sometimes the C&P exam DBQ from the VA is conflicting and the rater just assigns the higher rating when it falls in between two. So look at question 4 on the exam Social and Occupational Impairment and then the symptoms they should correspond but many times they don't and one or the other agency will choose the lower of the two ratings. If you could post just those two answers I could make a more solid guess.
@oddpedestrian

But I'm understanding that on a TDRL re-evaluation, his re-eval won't even make it to the VA. It just goes to the PEB, who uses their own DOD Rating Authorities to make their determination, and then it just comes back down to the PEBLO. The VA doesn't even see it.

However, one would think the DOD's RA's would still be bound to the VASRD in their determinations. It's becoming increasingly apparent that this may not be the case.

I'm just trying to figure out why and how this can be happening.

I'm hoping some of the older forum veterans can put some much needed knowledge into this.

SgtP86

Registered Member
Good Afternoon All. I want to say how great this forum is and I have been able to navigate my IDES process by reading the comments and timelines and experiences of others and I am forever grateful for that. I had a question maybe you guys can help with. I just want to know what to look forward to. So I'm ative Air Force being medically retired. Only served 11 1/2 years. Got my ratings last friday: 70% DOD TDRL & 100% VA. I was pleased with the outcome but do not know what to expect going forward. What does that mean? What will my compensation be? Will I get both? Are their any special circumstances where I would get both? I am searching for clarity on this. And where can I get info on if this bill has any updates? Since receiving my ratings, I have been wondering what I would get and how all this affects me and folks like me. Any help would be great.

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hello,

Your retired pay will be reduced by the amount of your VA compensation.

If there is residual retired from the reduction/VA offset, you will be able to keep it.

You will also receive VA compensation from the VA.

You are not eligible for CRDP

You might be eligible for CRSC (Combat Related Special Compensation) which could replace some or all of the amount lost via VA offset. The AF has an excellent CRSC website.

Ron

Onivert

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hello,

Your retired pay will be reduced by the amount of your VA compensation.

If there is residual retired from the reduction/VA offset, you will be able to keep it.

You will also receive VA compensation from the VA.

You are not eligible for CRDP

You might be eligible for CRSC (Combat Related Special Compensation) which could replace some or all of the amount lost via VA offset. The AF has an excellent CRSC website.

Ron
can you please go into depth on explaining this please?

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
can you please go into depth on explaining this please?
Re: “
1. Your retired pay will be reduced by the amount of your VA compensation.

2. If there is residual retired from the reduction/VA offset, you will be able to keep it.

3. You will also receive VA compensation from the VA.

4. You are not eligible for CRDP

5. You might be eligible for CRSC (Combat Related Special Compensation) which could replace some or all of the amount lost via VA offset. The AF has an excellent CRSC website. Additionally, you can view a collection of CRSC information on this site

Answers:

Item 1– Current law requires that CH 61 retiree waive retired pay if they elect to receive VA compensation. That law has it roots in a 1890s law.
Item 2– IF your retired pay was 3000 and the VA compensation was 2500, the result would be
3000 minus 2500 = 500 residual retired pay you keep
Item 3–You get to keep the VA compensation
Item 4–You do not meet the legal requirements for CRDP
ITEM 5–You might be eligible for CRSC. See your AF CRSC site. Also see Supplement to CRSC Information (use red download button) <—-LINK to CRSC info

CRDP, CRSC, waived retired pay, etc.
From DFAS:

Many military retirees who are eligible for DoD retired pay are also eligible for VA disability pay. The laws and regulations that apply when a retiree is eligible for both types of pay are complex and can be confusing, so we created a new webpage that explains the basics of the VA waiver, and the relationship between VA disability pay, retired pay, Concurrent Retirement and Disability Pay (CRDP) and Combat-Related Special Compensation (CRSC).

The law requires that a military retiree waive a portion of their gross DoD retired pay, dollar for dollar, by the amount of their Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) disability compensation pay; this is known as the VA waiver (or VA offset). The new webpage provides an overview of how the VA waiver works. It also summarizes the two programs created by Congress to allow eligible military retirees to recover some or all of the retired pay that retirees waive for VA disability pay: CRDP and CRSC.

In addition, the webpage also explains the impact on retired pay, CRDP and CRSC when a VA disability rating changes, as well as how retroactive disability rating changes might result in a retired pay or CRDP/CRSC Processing (CCP) debt.

We hope this webpage will help retirees better understand how these programs interact.

The webpage is under the “Disability Entitlements” section of the Retired Military & Annuitants area of the DFAS.mil website at:

https://go.usa.gov/xEMry

—-
Ron

Last edited:
data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">